Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Penalty taker

3 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Looks like it's vardy from now on! Thank god

Riyad didn't look happy about it though yesterday, did anyone else see Matty have a word with a disgruntled mahrez as vardy lined up to take it.

Vardy should be the penalty taker, feel certain he is going to score as I don't even think he knows where he is going to place it. Mahrez has missed too many which is a shame as his ones in the title season against Everton were quality, right in the bottom corner, just can't replicate them consistently enough. Don't really see how Mahrez can have complaints.

10 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Looks like it's vardy from now on! Thank god

Riyad didn't look happy about it though yesterday, did anyone else see Matty have a word with a disgruntled mahrez as vardy lined up to take it.

Payback for Mahrez not passing to him when he was clear in the 1st half.

I thought Mahrez was going over to ask/try and take it, I was going mad when I saw him quickly walking over then I think he saw Vardy with the ball and thought better.

Someone in the Mahrez thread said they saw Mahrez sulk over to the touchline and get a water bottle after the goal - People (Inc me with the views that I have above) are probably reading to much into things regards Mahrez but he's put himself under this scrutiny now.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I thought Mahrez was going over to ask/try and take it, I was going mad when I saw him walking over then I think he saw Vardy with the ball and thought better.

Someone in the Mahrez thread said they saw Mahrez sulk over to the touchline and get a water bottle - People (Inc me with the views that I have above) are probably reading to much into things regards Mahrez but he's put himself under this scrutiny now.

Dont think you're reading too much into it Matt ...   He will play well and showcase his talents to help secure his move ...  But ultimately I don't think he's bothered whether we win or lose.    Sad but true imo.

Just now, Countryfox said:

Dont think you're reading too much into it Matt ...   He will play well and showcase his talents to help secure his move ...  But ultimately I don't think he's bothered whether we win or lose.    Sad but true imo.

Well he didn't do that yesterday.

He's played well/ok in the 3 games before but yesterday he was poor, I realise players have good and bad games but he's going to need to be every game between now and January to stand any chance of a January move.

Just now, Harry - LCFC said:

I think the Vardy is the better taker but his are very predictable. I expected him to go down the middle again and he did. It still surprises me that goalkeepers almost never stay put when faced with a spotkick.

He might not be the best penalty taker but he's the one who stops Mahrez taking it ! ...    Can't understand why Shakey hasn't sorted this ...   Or maybe he has.

7 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

I think the Vardy is the better taker but his are very predictable. I expected him to go down the middle again and he did. It still surprises me that goalkeepers almost never stay put when faced with a spotkick.

Being a goalkeeper for a penalty isn't easy. Imagine a penalty against us and Kasper just stands there. The criticism he'd get would be unreal

3 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Being a goalkeeper for a penalty isn't easy. Imagine a penalty against us and Kasper just stands there. The criticism he'd get would be unreal

This always strikes me as a nonsense reason. Your objective is to try and save the penalty, not to look like you're trying to save the penalty.

Anyone in the stands who doesn't see the benefit of occasionally staying down central should be ignored.

16 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Because if you just stand still and the penalty-taker places it to one side, you look stupid.

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Because if you just stand still and the penalty-taker places it to one side, you look stupid.

So what you're saying is that the goalkeeping should try to look like he's trying to save the penalty rather than do what he thinks will actually save the penalty. That seems odd to me.

Just now, Harry - LCFC said:

So what you're saying is that the goalkeeping should try to look like he's trying to save the penalty rather than do what he thinks will actually save the penalty. That seems odd to me.

No.

I'm saying that's why keepers don't just stand there. It's a mental strength thing. Besides, if keepers did start doing that, then no one would blast it down the middle, so... :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

No.

I'm saying that's why keepers don't just stand there. It's a mental strength thing. Besides, if keepers did start doing that, then no one would blast it down the middle, so... :dunno:

I think your "mental strength" argument might hold water in a shoot out, but in a match the only thing that matters is keeping the ball out. If Harry Kane steps up to take one against us in the 88th minute and buries it in the top-right corner, but Kasper thinks he's gonna slot it down the middle, I'd prefer Kasper to stay where he is than dive to his left or right to look stronger to the opposition or the crowd.

Archived