Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Penalty taker

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Exactly, as I said people (inc me) are probably reading to much into these things but Mahrez's demeanor (Which has always been the same but it's more highlighted now) and his actions recently have put him under scrutiny now.

You say that but as he walked over to the box and saw vardy put the ball down and line up mahrez looked very arsey, Matty even went over to talk to him, hard to explain but if you saw it you'd know what I mean

Just now, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

You say that but as he walked over to the box and saw vardy put the ball down and line up mahrez looked very arsey, Matty even went over to talk to him, hard to explain but if you saw it you'd know what I mean

Oh I know exactly what you mean, I was going mad when I saw Mahrez quickly walking over clearly intending to ask/try and take it before he'd noticed Vardy had got the ball and placed it down.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I thought Mahrez was going over to ask/try and take it, I was going mad when I saw him quickly walking over then I think he saw Vardy with the ball and thought better.

Someone in the Mahrez thread said they saw Mahrez sulk over to the touchline and get a water bottle after the goal - People (Inc me with the views that I have above) are probably reading to much into things regards Mahrez but he's put himself under this scrutiny now.

Meh!

I remember in the title winning season when fans in the pitch weren't happy with mahrez taking a pen (some in that thread who probably were in the game said that the fans were booing riyad) before he gave it to vardy to keep his streak going.

Vardy scored and that's all that matter, moving on I would rather Silva taking them, a more solid pen taker than both of them from the time I was watching sporting

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

Vardy is a capable penalty taker, but he isn't the best.

Believe it or not, penalties are a skill, I don't trust the "smash it technique", there are penalty takers who can score even if the keeper is going the right way.

Like Shearer, who relied on the "fecking twat it at the top corner" strategy...

19 hours ago, TheMightySystem said:

Vardy should be the penalty taker, feel certain he is going to score as I don't even think he knows where he is going to place it. Mahrez has missed too many which is a shame as his ones in the title season against Everton were quality, right in the bottom corner, just can't replicate them consistently enough. Don't really see how Mahrez can have complaints.

Vardy never ever places it! He just whacks it which is fine by me. One day a keeper will stand still and save one, though. Anyway, much more confident with him than Mahrez taking one. 

choosing a side and trying to cover most of that side with a decent, forward dive covers a much bigger area of the goal than just standing still and hoping it gets hit at you. that's why keepers dive. if you leave your legs up you can get lucky and cover some of the middle, too. it's a much higher percentage chance of a save than just standing still and hoping it hits you. 

19 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I think you might misunderstand what I meant about mental strength. I meant mentally strong enough not to care about the potential of looking stupid.

Can you imagine this place if Kasper stood still for a penalty and the taker side foots it gently into the corner? SCENES!

My point exactly! As a goalkeeper myself, i'd rather dive either side and appear to be making an effort rather than just stand there and potentially look like a plank when it goes flying into the top corner

Twatting it will always be better than doing that one step crap and passing it to the keeper's side. 

Being able to confidently drive it in to the corner is always going to be best. There's a reason Messi and Neymar miss a lot more than Frank Lampard did. 

2 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

This is clearly the correct decision to give the job to Vardy, but does Shakespeare let the players make all the decisions?

Why the **** is he not making that decision. He's the manager for ****s sake.

Im really beginning to wonder about this guy.

1 minute ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

This is clearly the correct decision to give the job to Vardy, but does Shakespeare let the players make all the decisions?

Why the **** is he not making that decision. He's the manager for ****s sake.

Im really beginning to wonder about this guy.

Shakespeare is being diplomatic.  Vardy made that decision.  Looked to me like Mahrez is the designated penalty taker and that was a bit of a snub from Vardy.  Could be a stretch of my imagination though, maybe Vardy just wanted to score the peno he earned

25 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Shakespeare is being diplomatic.  Vardy made that decision.  Looked to me like Mahrez is the designated penalty taker and that was a bit of a snub from Vardy.  Could be a stretch of my imagination though, maybe Vardy just wanted to score the peno he earned

He should not need to be diplomatic, with regard to team issues such as this.  

He is employed to be a decision maker.

If it's true it was done by a consensus of players, I don't know why he has not been able to make the decision himself based on what he's seen in the last two years.

If he has made the decision, he should say so; this is his job. 

Allied with his inability to sub / drop Mahrez so far,

regardless of performances, Shakey is now coming across as weak.

5 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

He should not need to be diplomatic, with regard to team issues such as this.  

He is employed to be a decision maker.

If it's true it was done by a consensus of players, I don't know why he has not been able to make the decision himself based on what he's seen in the last two years.

If he has made the decision, he should say so; this is his job. 

Allied with his inability to sub or drop Mahrez so far,

regardless of performances, Shakey is now coming across as weak.

It's as if he can't tell players what's what for fear of upsetting them.

Archived