Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Penalty taker

11 minutes ago, Hollism said:

I think your "mental strength" argument might hold water in a shoot out, but in a match the only thing that matters is keeping the ball out. If Harry Kane steps up to take one against us in the 88th minute and buries it in the top-right corner, but Kasper thinks he's gonna slot it down the middle, I'd prefer Kasper to stay where he is than dive to his left or right to look stronger to the opposition or the crowd.

I think you might misunderstand what I meant about mental strength. I meant mentally strong enough not to care about the potential of looking stupid.

Can you imagine this place if Kasper stood still for a penalty and the taker side foots it gently into the corner? SCENES!

Guest seanfox778

It's not quite as simple as staying still for a goalie, you have to factor in a possible choice of getting twa**ed in the face or the balls if you don't act fast enough. It's always the easier choice to pick a side and dive. 

Mahrez missed another penalty with his stutter step routine during international break. He's mist have missed 5 or 6 since the League Cup penalties at Hull. Vardy taking control of the situation is for the best as Mahrez's conversion rate is terrible. Anyone saying they are both bad is ludicrous as one guy has missed 1 and cost us 0 points and the other has missed about 5 and cost us advancement in a cup game and points in multiple games. 

Purely Vardy vs Mahrez penalties.

Vardy puts his foot through it (and it's not always down the middle). Either way even if the keeper guesses right he has a job to keep it out, in particular in a controlled way.

Mahrez faffs about and places it, and rarely deep into a corner. If a keeper guesses right then they save it and may even hold on to it.

In regards to other penalty takers, not sure anyone is better than Vardy. Iheanacho at some point maybe? Fuchs not sure he could do it consistently but he is definitely in the top 5

Having a quick look in the 2015/16 season Mahrez took 7 penalties scoring 4 missing 3. 

Vardy in the same season took 5 scoring 4 missing 1.

2016/17 season Mahrez took 7 penalties scoring 5 missing 2. 

Vardy didn't take any.

2017/18 We have only had one penalty that Vardy took and scored. 

Overall I had it down Mahrez scoring 9 out of 14 Vardy scoring 5 out of 6. 

Guest seanfox778
1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Why are people saying Vardy is a bad pen taker when the only one he missed didn't matter? 

Because it's Foxestalk.

7 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

It's not quite as simple as staying still for a goalie, you have to factor in a possible choice of getting twa**ed in the face or the balls if you don't act fast enough. It's always the easier choice to pick a side and dive. 

Are you being serious? Keepers would take a ball in the face every time if it meant saving a penalty! 

All this 'down the middle' talk isn't as clear cut as people think. Even if it's 3 foot to the right/left, at the pace Vardy hits his penalties, the keeper would have a job on saving it even if he did stay stood up. 

Guest seanfox778
18 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Are you being serious? Keepers would take a ball in the face every time if it meant saving a penalty! 

All this 'down the middle' talk isn't as clear cut as people think. Even if it's 3 foot to the right/left, at the pace Vardy hits his penalties, the keeper would have a job on saving it even if he did stay stood up. 

It was said tongue in cheek haha but in this day and age It wouldn't surprise me, especially if they've spent a while doing their hair :P Having said that I doubt Petr Cech would but that's understandable. 

4 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

It was said tongue in cheek haha but in this day and age It wouldn't surprise me, especially if they've spent a while doing their hair :P Having said that I doubt Petr Cech would but that's understandable. 

Haha fair enough mate :P  You're probably right, most would but maybe a couple that would think twice! 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Well he didn't do that yesterday.

He's played well/ok in the 3 games before but yesterday he was poor, I realise players have good and bad games but he's going to need to be every game between now and January to stand any chance of a January move.

He was shocking against Arsenal and the only times he got in decent positions against Man Utd he shot instead of passing it to teammates in better positions.

He was quality against Brighton.

Anyway, Vardy is no Gallagher from the spot but he's far better than Mahrez at penalties.

There's been a lot of discussion about looking silly if you just stand there but surely keepers will shuffle to the right or left and then move back into the middle of goal right at the last minute. They don't have to look utterly ridiculous by standing like a statue. 

Vardy is a no nonsense penalty taker but by smashing the ball every time it sits at that height that keepers love to save at. If the keeper can react is another thing, but i suspect if just stands up then they stand a good chance of getting a hand to it. I don't think Vardy has a cheeky finesse one in his pocket but be great to see it. 

While they are going in (and they mostly do) then no need to change it. Certainly him over Mahrez.

Screenshot_20170910-172920.jpg

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I thought Mahrez was going over to ask/try and take it, I was going mad when I saw him quickly walking over then I think he saw Vardy with the ball and thought better.

Someone in the Mahrez thread said they saw Mahrez sulk over to the touchline and get a water bottle after the goal - People (Inc me with the views that I have above) are probably reading to much into things regards Mahrez but he's put himself under this scrutiny now.

Maybe he was thirsty and went to get instructions

1 minute ago, foxtillidrop said:

Maybe he was thirsty and went to get instructions

Exactly, as I said people (inc me) are probably reading to much into these things but Mahrez's demeanor (Which has always been the same but it's more highlighted now) and his actions recently have put him under scrutiny now.

Just now, Matt said:

Exactly, as I said people (inc me) are probably reading to much into these things but Mahrez's demeanor (Which has always been the same but it's more highlighted now) and his actions recently have put him under scrutiny now.

Yes I'm doing the same.

I noticed that he was chatting to all of the chelsea players after the final whistle but probably reading too much in to it.

I do sense that we could be in trouble if we lose to huddersfield and liverpool - would put pressure on for the bournemouth game.

Archived