Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

Finished the10k in about 56 mins.

Hate New Walk🤣🤣.

As I was recovering with a few mates some geezer finished the HM!!

Fecking insane, I think he was sub 1.10!!!

Unreal 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Finished the10k in about 56 mins.

Hate New Walk🤣🤣.

As I was recovering with a few mates some geezer finished the HM!!

Fecking insane, I think he was sub 1.10!!!

Unreal 🤣🤣🤣

My mate was doing the 10k and beating the the HM runners was his main goal, and he also managed it by a similar margin.

You've got to be happy with that time? A course that ends with New Walk's not going to be PB territory is it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

My mate was doing the 10k and beating the the HM runners was his main goal, and he also managed it by a similar margin.

You've got to be happy with that time? A course that ends with New Walk's not going to be PB territory is it?

At my age I'm just happy to get sub 1 hour.

If the HM guy had passed me up New Walk then I would seriously have considered jumping on his back!!

Worst thing for me ever was being overtaken by a bloke dressed as a fecking washing machine!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Am running the Royal Parks in LDN this Sunday. First ever HM - very much just trying to get to the finish line. 

Any tips at all for the build up to it are greatly appreciated!

Golden rule which I am sure everyone has already said to you. Don't go off too quick! Just keep the legs ticking over this week within small runs. Good carb meal the night before. Don't worry about any nerves because once it starts, you go into a mode which is well concentrated. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Golden rule which I am sure everyone has already said to you. Don't go off too quick! Just keep the legs ticking over this week within small runs. Good carb meal the night before. Don't worry about any nerves because once it starts, you go into a mode which is well concentrated. 

All great points but the one in bold is crucial.

This is the bad thing about the Leicester  half as it starts downhill so you think you are flying and can keep this pace up.

20 mins later if your not careful you have  had it!!

1 minute ago, Raj said:

All great points but the one in bold is crucial.

This is the bad thing about the Leicester  half as it starts downhill so you think you are flying and can keep this pace up.

20 mins later if your not careful you have  had it!!

Yeah last year at Leics - the amount yous ee after 2 miles at the point of giving up and as you well know Raj New Walk looks a medical ward 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Great, thanks a lot. If the run is Sunday - how many runs would you recommend this week? Really conscious of not having achey legs going into the event.!!

4 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Great, thanks a lot. If the run is Sunday - how many runs would you recommend this week? Really conscious of not having achey legs going into the event.!!

Personally I do two - Tues/Thurs - no more than 5k to 6k and at a very comfortable pace - it's a unrated thing the 'easy run'. Actually helps you with comfortable pacing/heart rate control. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I'm doing the Leicestershire Half for the first time in a few weeks, has anyone run it before?

I did the Brum half last year and its a pretty big event with DJs and entertainment a lot of the way around and people line the streets with signs and jelly babies etc. It looks like the Leicestershire half is a bit more low key, as the majority of it is run on the old Airfield.

I had a few questions for anyone that's run it or been to it:

• Are there hydration stations throughout?
  • Is there space for family to hang out whilst you're running and is there refreshments etc to keep them going/warm?
  • Am I right thinking there's little going on when running the route and so earphones is a good idea?

Any other tips/insight welcome :)

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Currently training for one but having issues with the side of my knee (think it's IT band syndrome from a google).

Has anyone dealt with this?

Is that the one that runs roughly from the outside of your hip to the inside (?) of your knee?

I'm no physio but I've helped ease some knee problems by massaging the heck out of the top/front of my legs, especially along  that approximate diagonal line. They've never hurt when I run but when you get the old foam roller on them they're tender as anything and you think that's got to be causing issues

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Is that the one that runs roughly from the outside of your hip to the inside (?) of your knee?

I'm no physio but I've helped ease some knee problems by massaging the heck out of the top/front of my legs, especially along  that approximate diagonal line. They've never hurt when I run but when you get the old foam roller on them they're tender as anything and you think that's got to be causing issues

Yeah that’s the one. I was rolling on a tennis ball last night and there was a part of my hip that hurt like hell. The knee itself calms down a day or two after a run. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/01/2024 at 21:45, BrummieFOX said:

I'm doing the Leicestershire Half for the first time in a few weeks, has anyone run it before?

I did the Brum half last year and its a pretty big event with DJs and entertainment a lot of the way around and people line the streets with signs and jelly babies etc. It looks like the Leicestershire half is a bit more low key, as the majority of it is run on the old Airfield.

I had a few questions for anyone that's run it or been to it:

• Are there hydration stations throughout?
  • Is there space for family to hang out whilst you're running and is there refreshments etc to keep them going/warm?
  • Am I right thinking there's little going on when running the route and so earphones is a good idea?

Any other tips/insight welcome :)

Cheers

This was a great day by the way, highly recommend to anyone interested in running a half. Nice flat route and bits through the countryside/small village. 

Also randomly Ian Stringer was the event host. He did a really good job to be fair.

On 13/02/2024 at 08:05, Lionator said:

Currently training for one but having issues with the side of my knee (think it's IT band syndrome from a google).

Has anyone dealt with this?

After my second half when I was running regularly I started getting this discomfort in my knee. Felt like it was twisted, was affecting my running and was very noticeable when I was commuting on my bike. Went to the physio and it turned out it was a combination of very tight IT bands and overpronation (ankle rotation inwards) - IT bands pulling my knee out, ankle pulling it in. Essentially I wasn't doing enough warming up/down or strengthening and conditioning work.

Can't say I recall having IT band syndrome, but as a general aid I would second the recommendation for a foam roller, it makes a surprisingly big difference.

I play field hockey which is very heavy on the quads and hammys and use mine pre-warm up and during the week if I can. It's often noticable immediately afterwards.

On 13/02/2024 at 09:00, Bellend Sebastian said:

Outside, just below the knee.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, fox_up_north said:

I'm considering signing up for a half in May. I've done one before but thinking I've left it too late to get in race shape. Personal stuff and bereavement have got in the way last few months. 

Thoughts?

I would of thought you can do that

just make sure you do a couple of longer runs in April (8-11 mile range) and you should be fine 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I would of thought you can do that

just make sure you do a couple of longer runs in April (8-11 mile range) and you should be fine 

I'll aim to squeeze in a couple over the next few weeks. I did 4.5 miles in 50 mins on treadmill last night without really tiring, just as a kind of ease back into it. Mostly been 5ks of late.

• Like 1