Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

Down to do the Madrid half at the end of April.

I've been out running 4 times a week, doing 5km or sometimes 10km, getting up and out at 06:00 during the week and then a longer run on a Sunday, up to 10 miles.

I broke my 5km pb on the very hilly route I do twice this week. All was going well.

I went shopping yesterday and decided to fit in a cheeky treadmill at the gym en route, nothing too strenuous, just a quick 45 min, a break a sweat type lollop.

I popped a calf :(

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

Down to do the Madrid half at the end of April.

I've been out running 4 times a week, doing 5km or sometimes 10km, getting up and out at 06:00 during the week and then a longer run on a Sunday, up to 10 miles.

I broke my 5km pb on the very hilly route I do twice this week. All was going well.

I went shopping yesterday and decided to fit in a cheeky treadmill at the gym en route, nothing too strenuous, just a quick 45 min, a break a sweat type lollop.

I popped a calf :(

Ah mate I’m gutted for you! It’s always those silly little things!

Off the support on here, I decided to do my longest run in almost a year - 8 miles.

Of course, to challenge myself, I decided to do it uphill. So I "ran" (12.30 avg per mile) 4 miles uphill, on Snake Pass in the Peak and then 4 miles (9.20 avg) back down.

Lots of wind and rain and blisters but still did all 8 miles in less than 90 minutes so I'm pretty happy with that. Knees and legs felt fine, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Off the support on here, I decided to do my longest run in almost a year - 8 miles.

Of course, to challenge myself, I decided to do it uphill. So I "ran" (12.30 avg per mile) 4 miles uphill, on Snake Pass in the Peak and then 4 miles (9.20 avg) back down.

Lots of wind and rain and blisters but still did all 8 miles in less than 90 minutes so I'm pretty happy with that. Knees and legs felt fine, too.

Great effort, I’ve joined Strava today to add some accountability to my running. 

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Well I did it.  I hobbled the last bit and had to walk the steepest bits and my leg was ridiculously double-strapped.

A rather shameful 2:40. I found it fairly punishing, lots of loooooong uphills followed by short steep downhills, and a tad warmer than I'm used to in Scotland (go figure).

Still, I've earned a cerveza or three.  :D

I don't think there's anything shameful about that, sounds like a bit of an ordeal. 

Enjoy those beers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Well I did it.  I hobbled the last bit and had to walk the steepest bits and my leg was ridiculously double-strapped.

A rather shameful 2:40. I found it fairly punishing, lots of loooooong uphills followed by short steep downhills, and a tad warmer than I'm used to in Scotland (go figure).

Well done mate, nothing shameful about getting any race done! You’ve gone 13 miles more than most will have today.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Nice one! How did the calf hold up?

31 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

Nice one! How did the calf hold up?

I put 2 x compression socks on it and ran with my other leg doing more work, and I could feel it after 10km, but nursed it round the course.

9 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I wouldn’t give a flyer about times in the heat. It’s an achievement to run in that heat up hills for duration of 13 miles