Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

On 11/11/2017 at 22:34, Walkers said:

Back to meh. This league is just very difficult (for me lol) we bottled it in the last quarter of the season. No money again so I am completely reliant on loans from Basel, I must have about 6 from them. The youth is pretty poor despite most of them being youth internationals, then I have to release them anyway because the minimum wage at a certain age is £700 which I cannot afford to be paying to players who will never make the grade. I beat my u21's in the Cup final but lesson learnt as I let one of my better first teamers play for them in the QF which meant he was cuptied for me in the final lol  Beat a Maltese side in the 1st quali round for Europe, Osijek after a first leg scare but now face Braga in the 3rd round so thats curtains.

Europa League!!!!!!!!!!!!! I drew 2-2 away at Braga and parked the bus at home for an away goals win. Legia Warsaw in the final round who I beat in the 2nd round last season. 0-0 away from home, 4mins into the home leg cursing my luck that I didn't have an away goal as they scored early.. equalised soon after and then after a typical hour of **** all happening, I score in the 74th min, score a fluke cross 2mins later and although Legia got a goal a couple of mins after that, held on for a 3-2 win.

I now have Atl Bilbao, Krasnodar and Sion of Switzerland in my group which is okay. I've surprised myself at how competitive we've been in two legged games against sides like Legia, Beer Sheva, APOEL, Braga. I would put Sion in a group under those sides and Krasnodar probably slightly above them. I've been given 2.5m for playing in the group stages, hope there will be another windfall after the 6 games but not sure??? I have a pretty big squad and now I have an excuse to use it. Going up isn't going to be easy though because it's a right little bastard of a league

• Like 1

Well Gillingham lost patients with me. Eighteen games in I was sacked, after what I believed was a credible draw away at one of the sides in the play off places. Thought it was a bit harsh, even though we were bottom we were only a win off the safe zone.

Wasted no time, applied for Tranmere and was successful. They were tenth when took charge with clearly had the squad to achieve at least play offs. First game was an FA Cup second round tie at Weymouth, a scoreless draw wasn't brilliant, but finished them off in the reply. Won my next game which was a FA Trophy match and went on to win 5 league games in a row, lifting me to forth and ten points off top with 22 games to play. Have Arsenal in the 3rd round at home and a chance to make history. Things looking much brighter now, so watch this space..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@Finnegan

I've got over the UI now and it's not that bad (although still a bit irritating) eventually. However the match engine's notably better in my eyes, they fixed the wide player defensive positioning which was the single biggest problem for me in 17 and the general play has improved steadily too. You'll probably get it some point anyway just depends if you wanna wait a while 'til it's reduced. The first 20 or so hours I couldn't be arsed at all but after that I've started enjoying it.

16 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I find it takes time to become accustomed to any changes in FM.

Even so, I think you're right. It is a mess.

I enjoyed playing 16/17 much more.

Yeah exact same here, I'm usually not keen at first but there's at least something - this one I'm just not feeling what so ever. 

I don't think starting with Leicester ever helps mind you. I rarely enjoy a save where I start as Leicester.

Edited by Dan LCFC

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah exact same here, I'm usually not keen at first but there's at least something - this one I'm just not feeling what so ever. 

I don't think starting with Leicester ever helps mind you. I rarely enjoy a save where I start as Leicester.

No point starting with Leicester anymore - Claudio’s completed that one

What have they done to the match day screen?

I rarely watch the match and prefer commentary only. On FM17 used to have a split screen with overview on the left and player ratings on the right.

Seems this is no longer an option? Now the Overview is a tiny little box in the middle where you can't actually see any info unless you scroll down. Looks a complete mess and is putting me off playing it. Anyone have a solution to sort it?

Won the League and Carabao Cup with Leicester. Slightly disappointed with the game in all honesty, I won the Carabao Cup final playing an Arsenal team of 17 year olds and sealed the Prem with just 80 points and 8 defeats, the title being secured with victory over 8th place Man City. By September 2018 I've received a total of £188m in transfer fees, seeing the likes of Amartey go to Wolves for £20m after sitting on the bench in my title win. I know they've tried to make transfer fees reflect the real life surge (Neymar et al) but this is a bit silly.

Fancy a bash at Lazio, less money in Serie A and a club back on the up.

I got taken to extra time in the Liechtenstein Cup Final and went 1-0 down early on before equalising just after HT, won 4-1 on pens. I was livid

Made a lovely 3.5m profit this season thanks to our Europa League run and then the gate receipts helped massively too. My wage budget has gone from 29k to 32k but transfer budget from 50k to 800k so plenty of room to move that around. Bottled it again in the last quarter of the season, had won 5 in a row before drawing 0-0 to somebody then losing 4 games on the trot without scoring a goal. After that, a team called Chiasso who had lost their first 24 games, by the time i'd played them for the 4th time they had picked up one win (and nothing else, also already relegated), I was 2-0 up and murdering them after 60mins, for the last 20 minutes Real Madrid turned up and won 4-2. Never seen anything like that, I went on holiday for the rest of the season, **** that.

My Europa League run... I finished with what I think is a respectable 3 points lol Lost 2-0 away at Sion, 1-0 at home to Bilbao (I got battered but they scored late which hurt), 2-0 away to Krasnodar, 1-2 home to Krasnodar, won 2-1 against Sion at home before losing 3-2 away at Bilbao.

Edited by Walkers

22 hours ago, Walkers said:

I got taken to extra time in the Liechtenstein Cup Final and went 1-0 down early on before equalising just after HT, won 4-1 on pens. I was livid

Made a lovely 3.5m profit this season thanks to our Europa League run and then the gate receipts helped massively too. My wage budget has gone from 29k to 32k but transfer budget from 50k to 800k so plenty of room to move that around. Bottled it again in the last quarter of the season, had won 5 in a row before drawing 0-0 to somebody then losing 4 games on the trot without scoring a goal. After that, a team called Chiasso who had lost their first 24 games, by the time i'd played them for the 4th time they had picked up one win (and nothing else, also already relegated), I was 2-0 up and murdering them after 60mins, for the last 20 minutes Real Madrid turned up and won 4-2. Never seen anything like that, I went on holiday for the rest of the season, **** that.

My Europa League run... I finished with what I think is a respectable 3 points lol Lost 2-0 away at Sion, 1-0 at home to Bilbao (I got battered but they scored late which hurt), 2-0 away to Krasnodar, 1-2 home to Krasnodar, won 2-1 against Sion at home before losing 3-2 away at Bilbao.

Could Sion v Vaduz happen IRL?

26 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Could Sion v Vaduz happen IRL?

Not a clue. Seems to be a massive cloud over it or just a mistake by FM because when the groups were drawn there was a question in the press conference about Sion and Vaduz being Switzerland's only Europa League representatives, when I represent Liechtenstein.  I guess literally speaking if you cannot face a side from your own country then playing Sion is fine

• Like 1

Just had the most pathetic conversation with my ageing captain and highly influential team leader who is still a regular in my side, he wanted to talk to me because I had just submitted a bid for somebody in his position.

Him: Im a little concerned about the potential new signing may lead to my services no longer being needed here

Me: I know where you're coming from but competition for places is healthy

Him: What do I need to do to improve my game?

Now im listed with a load of things that are completely irrelevant for a 33yo, so I say I need you to add scoring goals to your game (He's a DM)

His response is that he thinks he is ready for first team football now regardless (again, 33 ****ing years old and speaking as though he hasn't had first team football in the 3 years he's i've been here when infact he's been a mainstay for me)

Now I am preparing for a backlash from my entire side

**** He's just scored 2 goals in the first friendly of the season lollol

Edited by Walkers

8 hours ago, Walkers said:

Just had the most pathetic conversation with my ageing captain and highly influential team leader who is still a regular in my side, he wanted to talk to me because I had just submitted a bid for somebody in his position.

Him: Im a little concerned about the potential new signing may lead to my services no longer being needed here

Me: I know where you're coming from but competition for places is healthy

Him: What do I need to do to improve my game?

Now im listed with a load of things that are completely irrelevant for a 33yo, so I say I need you to add scoring goals to your game (He's a DM)

His response is that he thinks he is ready for first team football now regardless (again, 33 ****ing years old and speaking as though he hasn't had first team football in the 3 years he's i've been here when infact he's been a mainstay for me)

Now I am preparing for a backlash from my entire side

**** He's just scored 2 goals in the first friendly of the season lollol

This shit is largely what put me off last year. 

I had a save where I'd gotten Valencia to be the number one power house of world football. Lead by Icardi, Dybala and Lemar we hit three champions league finals in a row, winning two back to back. 

It was so successful I eventually got bored. 

But not before countless arguments with my players over the most stupid things that were blatantly just crowbarred in cause drama. 

Icardi and Dybala dominating the ballon dor, my club's reputation being the highest on the game but my 21 year old top prospect wanting to move to Liverpool to "play with a higher level of team mate." Cmon. 

The player conversations have been doggo for years now. Was rather hoping they'd overhaul them for FM18, but seemingly not. 

Took the plunge and bought it on Saturday night, but haven't really had chance to do much since I was drunk and couldn't be arsed to try and work out the new features.

Started as Parma in the Serie B with the objective of recreating the late 90s/ early 00s Parmalat glory days: some domestic and European silverware and regular Champions League football. 

They've got ok finances considering everyone in the Serie B is poverty-stricken. I've noticed Giuseppe Rossi is available on a free and could do a job. He's really gone downhill though, used to be a must-buy.

Anyone unearthed any bargains? (I'm talking <£200k)

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

The player conversations have been doggo for years now. Was rather hoping they'd overhaul them for FM18, but seemingly not. 

Took the plunge and bought it on Saturday night, but haven't really had chance to do much since I was drunk and couldn't be arsed to try and work out the new features.

Started as Parma in the Serie B with the objective of recreating the late 90s/ early 00s Parmalat glory days: some domestic and European silverware and regular Champions League football. 

They've got ok finances considering everyone in the Serie B is poverty-stricken. I've noticed Giuseppe Rossi is available on a free and could do a job. He's really gone downhill though, used to be a must-buy.

Anyone unearthed any bargains? (I'm talking <£200k)

Signed him for Wolves in the Championship, Injured, then injured again whilst recovering and again... and again.... and again..... Eventually released on a free.

12 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Signed him for Wolves in the Championship, Injured, then injured again whilst recovering and again... and again.... and again..... Eventually released on a free.

In that case, maybe I'll opt for Mirko Vucinic. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edited by RoboFox