Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

Now we have a new number 1, what do we think he will bring to the team and how will he change things up, if at all?

What do we know? Well looking at Southampton and at his previous clubs, we might expect some of the following:

- A 442 Diamond formation was used at Southampton. 

- Not averse to using a 4-5-1 at times.

- Usually sorts out a team's defence and makes them hard to beat. 

- Good track record of developing youth and bringing them into the team.

- Prefers technical football. Likes players building from the back. The end of hoofball?

How will that affect the mighty Foxes then? In terms of formation given we have so many strikers at the club I think we will continue to see a 442, but the diamond formation is a possibility, perhaps with Mahrez or Okazaki behind the front two and Gray coming into the team. I do also think that in our upcoming games versus Spurs and Man City that we might go 451. For changes of players, though I don't think it will happen overnight, I think Gray and Chilwell will be first team come the end of the season. Ihenacho might also, but given Okazaki's form it will be interesting so see what happens here. Players that are likely to fall victim of the manager include Albrighton, Fuchs, Simpson, Huth and Morgan. All legends for us, but I think with a manager who has no past with this set of players, that they will slowly be moved to the periphery. It will be interesting to see what happens to Kasper and Vardy as these are the two that I worry about the most. They could easily move to another club and will they get on with the new gaffer? Time will tell, but I hope that they do!

Right now it's all guesswork, but would be interested to hear what others predict.

• Like 3

I don't think he'll change that much to be honest, not at first anyway. Seems pretty clear that there is quite a powerful/ influential group of senior players and I can't see him mixing it up too much to begin with.

Any fazing out of the likes of Albrighton, Fuchs, Huth and Wes is going to be a long process and it'd be a huge risk for a new manager to start his reign by marginalizing any of those guys.

Edited by Paddy.

22 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Statistically, what have Wagner and Dyche achieved in the Premiership that puts them way ahead of Puel?  Not trying to be an arse, I am genuinely interested.  I disagree with you but if you can convince me of your viewpoint I am willing to change my mind.

in the premier league his win percentage is 12 wins in 38 which is 32%

Dyche 21 wins in 85 matches which is 24%

david wagner 3 wins in 9 matches 33%

rafa benetiez 148 wins in 273 matches 54%

ancelotti 48 wins in 76 matches 63%

bare in mind that hudersfield town and burneley are weaker sides than claude puel's southampton was.

Edited by DatfoxesKid23

7 minutes ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

in the premier league his win percentage is 10 wins in 38 which is 26%

bare in mind that hudersfield town and burneley are weaker sides than claude puel's southampton was.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I would argue that his Southampton side were, after losing players, not a million miles better than Burnley and one could argue that 9 games is not a large enough sample for meaningful data on Wagner.  Benetez and Ancelotti have been in charge of much bigger sides so again it is hard to judge.  I am not saying you are wrong and I probably would have preferred Dyche but I feel it is unnecessary and unreasonable to say with any certainty that Puel is a worse choice than Dyche or Wagner.  I also just feel like, what do people get from expecting the worst?  I do not want to be labelled some form of "happy clapper" but why don;t we at least try to be positive at the start and see what happens? 

Anyway, let's just hope we do well eh?

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

in the premier league his win percentage is 10 wins in 38 which is 26%

Southampton won 12 out of 38 in the league last season, which is 32%

• Like 1

If he does indeed go to a diamond how do people envisage that means Demarai Gray will come in to the team? If anything that means Gray is even less likely to make a name for himself here. Mahrez would move to number 10 in a diamond and Ndidi Iborra and Silva would be the other 3 but until Silva is eligible it could be that Albrighton tucks in or more worryingly King or Amartey. I think we might see 3-4-1-2 because Puel likes his full backs to act like wingers and Simpson cannot and will not do that meaning Albrighton is the only real choice as Amartey although looked good on Tuesday again isn't very comfortable going forward or crossing. I think this formation is what we need to explore anyway so I hope he does.

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If he does indeed go to a diamond how do people envisage that means Demarai Gray will come in to the team? If anything that means Gray is even less likely to make a name for himself here. Mahrez would move to number 10 in a diamond and Ndidi Iborra and Silva would be the other 3 but until Silva is eligible it could be that Albrighton tucks in or more worryingly King or Amartey. I think we might see 3-4-1-2 because Puel likes his full backs to act like wingers and Simpson cannot and will not do that meaning Albrighton is the only real choice as Amartey although looked good on Tuesday again isn't very comfortable going forward or crossing. I think this formation is what we need to explore anyway so I hope he does.

Mahrez will be sur his biciclette en January.

• Like 1

Disharmony. According to my contact. Players didn’t like him or his training methods. Cold and distant seems to be their verdict. Is he going to appease a disgruntled Vardy? We’ll see. Maybe keeping Appleton is a good move. Asssuming the players like him

and find him amenable. They certainly seem

to have played for him

these last two fixtures. 

The only way I could see Puel adopting a 4-4-2 diamond is if we either sign a new right sided defender who can play wing back or if he utilises Albrighton into that position temporarily in which case I could see him using the following line up:

Schmeichel 

Albrighton Maguire Dragovic Chilwell

Iborra

King Ndidi

Mahrez

Vardy Iheanacho 

I can see him signing a right back with similarities to somebody like Clyne in January and with the arrival of Silva who should replace King in the eleven we will be looking like a strong unit. 

• Like 1

Interestingly, this Guardian article from earlier on last season paints Puel in an entirely different light. Admittedly they finished poorly and also weren’t scoring, but they did seem to have a number of injuries. I get the impression he’d prefer to play daring attacking football, but knows the result is more important, and if you don’t have the resources to go all out attack, at least make sure you’re not conceding.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/22/sounthampton-claude-puel-manchester-city

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Mahrez will be sur his biciclette en January.

You never know he managed to get Hatem Ben Arfa playing liquid football again and Eden Hazard says Puel is the most influential coach he's ever worked under so perhaps Riyad will strike up a love affair with old Claude lol

• Like 2