Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

33 minutes ago, Gerard said:

After learning more about him I've really warmed to the appointment.

He's won Ligue One and took Lyon to a Champions League SF beating Real Madrid en route. His southampton team were brilliant in the League Cup Final and the best team on the day certainly lost. It's also reassuring to know that Southampton created the 7th most chances in the league last season but had the worst conversion rate.

We really needed a strong outsider to come in who is willing to let the whole squad start with a clean slate and fight for their places. He'll have his preferred style of play and i expect to see a few of our current squad surplus to requirements in the next two windows as he puts his stamp on the club. Exciting times and a much needed change of course for our club.

Hear, Hear!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

Hope some on here give him time to do his job the way he wants. The appointment of Ranieri got lots of ‘mehs ‘ and was hardly treated with enthusiasm , but that didn’t turn out too shabbily did it?

Im way more excited about this guy than i was cloudio, we need a change of style and to reinvent ourselves a bit. The title win is in danger of being a black cloud, that taints our future if we dont move on from it and evolve. This guy (i think) has the nuts to shake things up a bit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the fox said:

claude Puel has revealed his plan to “seduce” Riyad Mahrez and convince the winger to stay with Leicester.

Puel, the new Leicester manager, is set for talks with Mahrez as he attempts to persuade the former PFA Player of the Year to become a key figure in his French revolution.

The Algeria international has shown recent glimpses of the performances which helped Leicester win the title two seasons ago, with two goals in the last three games.

And Puel is ready to head off Mahrez’s potential departure in January by mounting a charm offensive to get him onside.

It is down to me to make these players want to stay by the fact we are playing good football. I have always got to attract them, to seduce them," he said.

"It is down to me to create that environment where these players want to thrive and stay and be happy and to enjoy themselves, their football and the plans that we have.

“It is normal for a player, if they win the title and play Champions League, that sometimes there is disappointment, frustration because now they know the high level.

“My door is always open and it is important to listen, to try to tell them it is a different opportunity, that they feel they can improve.”

:riyad::riyad:

This is more what I want to hear! Play good football to encourage our team to stay, develop and achieve something. The jury’s out on Riyad on FoxesTalk but I think he would thrive in a more technical team where he receives the ball in ways other than a hoof from Kasper. 

We don’t have to be a hardcore possession side, but I do want to see us play a more technical style. To be honest this is why I feel we have both won and played well in our last two games. 

• Like 1

On 26/10/2017 at 14:18, TrentFox said:

There’s nothing to “give a rest” to. I’m neither condemning nor condoning. It is simply a piece of opinion I’m passing on from someone who has worked wirh him previously. 

In terms of your “mollycoddled” comment, probably best we just disagree. I suspect your theories on human motivation differ from mine and I’m not sure we’ll easily find some common ground. 

I agree that we need to find the best ways of motivating our players - we don't have the same levels of ability as the bigger clubs so stringing that extra 10% out of them is important 

However for players to be down on him on the first day smacks of brattish we didn't get our way behavior 

Sounds like he took the same approach Claudio did when he first arrived - stepping back and watching and assessing  the sessions rather than interfering and changing things straight

I think over the next few games the players will find reason to be confident in claudes approach and methods  

28 minutes ago, polarbear said:

I agree that we need to find the best ways of motivating our players - we don't have the same levels of ability as the bigger clubs so stringing that extra 10% out of them is important 

However for players to be down on him on the first day smacks of brattish we didn't get our way behavior 

Sounds like he took the same approach Claudio did when he first arrived - stepping back and watching and assessing  the sessions rather than interfering and changing things straight

I think over the next few games the players will find reason to be confident in claudes approach and methods  

The tiny globules of info I get on City are far less reliable than I get on Saints. But he wasn’t down on Puel, from what I gather. Just really p’ed off about shakey being given the push. I’m  sure there are others on here with better sources who can expand on that. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, the fox said:

claude Puel has revealed his plan to “seduce” Riyad Mahrez and convince the winger to stay with Leicester.

Puel, the new Leicester manager, is set for talks with Mahrez as he attempts to persuade the former PFA Player of the Year to become a key figure in his French revolution.

The Algeria international has shown recent glimpses of the performances which helped Leicester win the title two seasons ago, with two goals in the last three games.

And Puel is ready to head off Mahrez’s potential departure in January by mounting a charm offensive to get him onside.

“It is down to me to make these players want to stay by the fact we are playing good football. I have always got to attract them, to seduce them," he said.

"It is down to me to create that environment where these players want to thrive and stay and be happy and to enjoy themselves, their football and the plans that we have.

“It is normal for a player, if they win the title and play Champions League, that sometimes there is disappointment, frustration because now they know the high level.

“My door is always open and it is important to listen, to try to tell them it is a different opportunity, that they feel they can improve.”

:riyad::riyad:

I was not keen on the appointment, but the ‘proof of the pudding is in the eating’.

If he is true to his word as

in this piece, and he gets us playing free flowing attacking football; then I’m all for it.

Hope springs eternal.

4 hours ago, Strokes said:

Im way more excited about this guy than i was cloudio, we need a change of style and to reinvent ourselves a bit. The title win is in danger of being a black cloud, that taints our future if we dont move on from it and evolve. This guy (i think) has the nuts to shake things up a bit.

I think CLOUDIO’s RAIN was all about that black CLOUD you mention.

?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Daggers said:

He’s going to seduce Mahrez? Shit just keeps getting more bizarre. Still, par for the course for this club.

A3765306-BD18-41CD-8947-8CDE3C40CB91.thumb.jpeg.a059c4ee1c4e4ade556a5431b5a34cc7.jpeg 

You can take the French man out of France but you can't..........................well, you know the rest. lol

On 10/26/2017 at 09:16, StriderHiryu said:

Now we have a new number 1, what do we think he will bring to the team and how will he change things up, if at all?

What do we know? Well looking at Southampton and at his previous clubs, we might expect some of the following:

- A 442 Diamond formation was used at Southampton. 

- Not averse to using a 4-5-1 at times.

- Usually sorts out a team's defence and makes them hard to beat. 

- Good track record of developing youth and bringing them into the team.

- Prefers technical football. Likes players building from the back. The end of hoofball?

How will that affect the mighty Foxes then? In terms of formation given we have so many strikers at the club I think we will continue to see a 442, but the diamond formation is a possibility, perhaps with Mahrez or Okazaki behind the front two and Gray coming into the team. I do also think that in our upcoming games versus Spurs and Man City that we might go 451. For changes of players, though I don't think it will happen overnight, I think Gray and Chilwell will be first team come the end of the season. Ihenacho might also, but given Okazaki's form it will be interesting so see what happens here. Players that are likely to fall victim of the manager include Albrighton, Fuchs, Simpson, Huth and Morgan. All legends for us, but I think with a manager who has no past with this set of players, that they will slowly be moved to the periphery. It will be interesting to see what happens to Kasper and Vardy as these are the two that I worry about the most. They could easily move to another club and will they get on with the new gaffer? Time will tell, but I hope that they do!

Right now it's all guesswork, but would be interested to hear what others predict.

So an interesting first game for sure! In his first game in charge, he dropped Okazaki to start with Mahrez in the hole behind Vardy with Gray and Chilwell on the flanks. Not many saw that coming, especially having just been in charge for a few games. The interchange between Vardy, Gray and Mahrez was fantastic and might hint at what is to come. With Nacho, Slimani and Okazaki on the bench you have to wonder what it means for them, but the positives were the for us all to see. It was interesting to see Chilwell and Fuchs in the same team - is Puel trying to "do a Bale" with Chilwell? We will continue to watch this development with interest. Chiwell had good moments was not as good going forwards as Gray so I wonder if we will be on the lookout for another winger or creative player? Certainly the rumors of Ben Arfa would make a lot of sense if we play this system.

I think we also saw that Puel is more than happy to shut down a game once we go ahead. I think he will be happy with the second half, even it was a snooze fest. To be fair, the title winning team did exactly the same thing and if we can get back that ability to shut teams out then we can really push up the table - goals win games but defences win titles. Kante, Morgan, Huth, Simpson, Fuchs and Kasper proved it already! Morgan started and was surprisingly good on the ball too. I do wonder what we will do with him long-term but he remains captain and doing a good job thus far.

Albrighton and Okazaki are the players that can feel the hardest done by with Puel 's new regime (Shinji especially), but we need competition for places and surely the fact that he started with two of our brightest talents gives inspiration to every academy and young player we have in the team. Also for King, James, Ulloa and Benny... I think the future might look bleak for these guys. Sad for James if true because no matter what, to come through what he has takes guts.

For me the biggest thing in the first half was how much we passed the ball. It was great to see and we looked so threatening playing this way. Sure Everton were poor but this was a new style implemented in just a few days. The players were smiling, Puel and Appleton shared a joke and Vardy and Mahrez looked happy. Gray even smiled! Very encouraging.

It will be interesting to revisit this thread in a few games time!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Thanks 1

Really pleased that in his first game he changed it up and started with Chilwell, Gray and Mahrez in the hole. It was just so refreshing to see a different (and positive) line-up to what we are used to.

We played the same team week in week out under Ranieri and it was an absolute treat for a season but then it got stale and Shakespeare never really did anything to mix it up even after a summer transfer window.

I think with the players we have we can probably be a pretty good team playing in a couple of different formations depending on who is on form and available. I'm hoping that Puel's first team choice is indicative of a manager who is willing to be a bit more flexible and that we reap the rewards of this.

Edited by ajthefox

A great debut for Puel. I'd said when he was appointed I feared we'd be playing boring football but it was clear he'd told the players to attack from the off. First half hour was just brilliance. Second half we did sit back and hoof a lot but because we had the 2 goal cushion and never really looked like conceding, it worked. Looking forward to seeing how he sets up against other teams