Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

33 minutes ago, Master Fox said:

I think he’s going to bring a lot of yawning, sleeping in the stands, boredom, mock French accents, mind numbing interviews, and a whole load of waffle. 

Good times ahead guys. Strap yourself in for the Puel rollercoaster ride. 

Why is Nfp coming back

10 hours ago, SonicBoom said:

Saints fan here. 

It's going to be really interesting to see how he does. 

When he arrived at Saints he immediately switched us to playing a midfield "diamond".  Long story short it didn't work for us and after a few months it was quietly shelved. 

I'm intrigued as to what he will do with you guys. He does love possession and you have been known as a team that is not concerned with possession but will defend and then hit fast and effectively on the break (maybe to bring the best from Vardy?). 

Will he change your game completely, stick with what you are doing - or try to evolve to more possession-based over a period of time? Only time will tell. 

When he arrived post Koeman I expected him to stick with what was broadly successful but he certainly didn't shy away from changing our formation from day one. There was a lot of questions about why he would change something that was working and the players were comfortable with, but he said that with Europe etc to consider, he didn't want a pressing style that we would struggle to maintain over a season. Good thinking I suppose, but it didn't really work. 

Anyway we'll watch with interest to see how he approaches Leicester. i was a little negative yesterday but on the plus side he will steady the ship and move you up the table. Also he may well have done things in a certain way here due to the players at his disposal. So with a different squad of players we may well see a different side of him. No reason why not. 

Altogether better Saints fan who was clearly awake when Puel was in charge. *thumbs up*

'Expected to earn around €2.8m/season until 2020, Puel is said to have found a Leicester board who were sympathetic to his situation, not understanding why Southampton parted ways with him in the first place.

Furthermore, Leicester were impressed with his ability to develop young players and his knowledge of the Foxes’ squad.

Puel gave a detailed plan of what he would do to change the style of football at King Power Stadium in order to get them back up the table, which suited the board’s vision of a more attacking philosophy.'

http://sportwitness.co.uk/france-claude-puel-ended-leicester-city-job/

On 10/26/2017 at 07:50, Finnegan said:

Why the **** would you pick Sean Dyche over Claude Puel? 

Criticisms of Puel basically come down to his teams being well organised but not exciting. Since when were Burnley the English Monaco? 

Everyone forgetting that Sean Dyche signed Marvin Sordell, Lukas Jutkiewicz, George Boyd and went down whimpering about pound notes? 

All he's done since is make Burnley a bit harder to score against. They were just as shit away from home last year as we were. They finished narrowly outside the relegation zone, saved by the ineptitude of  Hull team that started the season with about 13 registered players. 

Their three wins this season - there's no denying the Chelsea result but the other two were against sides in the relegation zone. 

There's absolutely nothing impressive about the guy in the slightest. He'd be a downgrade on Pearson returning and I'm not even joking about that. Pearson literally out performed him on pretty much equal terms and helped send him down as we escaped. 

He claims he's disadvantaged because he's English, absolute shit, it's the complete opposite. He's only given the time of day by the media because he's English. 

Wrong...ineptitude of Hull saved WATFORD not Burnley. Check last season's table.:)

22 hours ago, SonicBoom said:

Saints fan here. 

It's going to be really interesting to see how he does. 

When he arrived at Saints he immediately switched us to playing a midfield "diamond".  Long story short it didn't work for us and after a few months it was quietly shelved. 

I'm intrigued as to what he will do with you guys. He does love possession and you have been known as a team that is not concerned with possession but will defend and then hit fast and effectively on the break (maybe to bring the best from Vardy?). 

Will he change your game completely, stick with what you are doing - or try to evolve to more possession-based over a period of time? Only time will tell. 

When he arrived post Koeman I expected him to stick with what was broadly successful but he certainly didn't shy away from changing our formation from day one. There was a lot of questions about why he would change something that was working and the players were comfortable with, but he said that with Europe etc to consider, he didn't want a pressing style that we would struggle to maintain over a season. Good thinking I suppose, but it didn't really work. 

Anyway we'll watch with interest to see how he approaches Leicester. i was a little negative yesterday but on the plus side he will steady the ship and move you up the table. Also he may well have done things in a certain way here due to the players at his disposal. So with a different squad of players we may well see a different side of him. No reason why not. 

This is what Ranieri tried to do last season with us because we had Champions League to contend with as well and it was a disaster. The problem was we neither pressed nor did we retain possession, we just sat back looking fcuked. If we aren't on the front foot, pressing high up the pitch then we are very easy to deal with and he'll have a real job on his hands teaching us another way without serious surgery to the squad and the old guards mentality. That said, he seems to have favoured a pressing style at clubs in France so perhaps he'll cut his cloth accordingly, if he doesn't then he'll be cashing a nice 2.5 year pay off fairly quickly.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is what Ranieri tried to do last season with us because we had Champions League to contend with as well and it was a disaster. The problem was we neither pressed nor did we retain possession, we just sat back looking fcuked. If we aren't on the front foot, pressing high up the pitch then we are very easy to deal with and he'll have a real job on his hands teaching us another way without serious surgery to the squad and the old guards mentality. That said, he seems to have favoured a pressing style at clubs in France so perhaps he'll cut his cloth accordingly, if he doesn't then he'll be cashing a nice 2.5 year pay off fairly quickly.

He likes high energy, high fitness, high work rate football. He was a fitness and conditioning coach before he was a manager and he was a hard working defensive midfielder as a player. 

It's possible he just didn't think Southampton were up to scratch in fitness terms. Nobody can really level that accusation at us and we're not in Europe anyway. 

• Like 3

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 09:27, DatfoxesKid23 said:

We with the money we have could have had dyche or wagner even ancelotti . Claude Puel regardless of his performance in the upcoming matches was the cheapest option someone has potentially fvcked us over here.

Comedian..!!

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 10:09, TrentFox said:

Disharmony. According to my contact. Players didn’t like him or his training methods. Cold and distant seems to be their verdict. Is he going to appease a disgruntled Vardy? We’ll see. Maybe keeping Appleton is a good move. Asssuming the players like him

and find him amenable. They certainly seem

to have played for him

these last two fixtures. 

Crap!!!

Now I'm going positive on this one

Europe, Carry On Cup, Apologies from X% of FT and 3-5-1-1............. Nearly forgot...... Mendy

Well that was the dream I had anyway    :thumbup:

I also went back 624 pages to find Claudio's appointment and this one is on par if not worse.

And if he achieves 75% of what Claudio did I'll be happy

But I have a feeling he'll never get the chance as he's been written off already   :facepalm:

Ps: Bring Pearson Back........................:crylaugh:

Not sure if this has already been said, but Puels Southampton actually created the 7th highest amount of chances last season, there conversion rate was the worst in the league.

His biggest challenge will be to change our style of play to a more possession based side, but this is something that we may have to do to kick on and become more consistent. The more I think about the appointment the more I think it will work, just needs to be given time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vocey said:

Not sure if this has already been said, but Puels Southampton actually created the 7th highest amount of chances last season, there conversion rate was the worst in the league.

His biggest challenge will be to change our style of play to a more possession based side, but this is something that we may have to do to kick on and become more consistent. The more I think about the appointment the more I think it will work, just needs to be given time.

I did read that they did well at creating chances, but sold their best strikers. Can read into that he did all he could

After learning more about him I've really warmed to the appointment.

He's won Ligue One and took Lyon to a Champions League SF beating Real Madrid en route. His southampton team were brilliant in the League Cup Final and the best team on the day certainly lost. It's also reassuring to know that Southampton created the 7th most chances in the league last season but had the worst conversion rate.

We really needed a strong outsider to come in who is willing to let the whole squad start with a clean slate and fight for their places. He'll have his preferred style of play and i expect to see a few of our current squad surplus to requirements in the next two windows as he puts his stamp on the club. Exciting times and a much needed change of course for our club.

• Thanks 1