Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Did Puel just find a way to play well without Okazaki?

Before I even start, I love Okazaki and want him to remain at the club until he retires (at which point I want to adopt him) and still think he should feature for us as regularly as possible.

However.......

I think for a long time, lots have us have wanted some sort of alternative way of playing, one which provides even slightly more possession and/or creativity.  Not to REPLACE the way we played when we won the league but to COMPLEMENT it.  The problem has been that even though some people on this forum slate Okazaki, and cannot figure out what he even does, we always look better with him in the team and we have struggled to find anyone else who can "do an Okazaki" in the present system.  Did Puel yesterday manage to find us a "Plan B"?  Did he manage to give an alternative that we may be able to play against the "easier" teams, and at home?  The ability to mix it up a little would be so useful for us because our usual way of playing can be devastating but we cannot play it week in, week out without any thought of the opposition, tactics, etc.  If the opposition knows we can mix it up a little then surely that can only be a plus?

Our standard team has been:

Kasper

Simpson  Maguire  Morgan  Fuchs

Mahrez  Iborra  Ndiddi  Albrighton

Okazaki

Vardy

We then bring on someone on for Okazaki, whilst Albrighton usually tires meaning we have had trouble seeing out games.  Vardy can also sometimes tire in which case we are completely blunt up front.  I think Slimani is a very good footballer but he is just not suited to this formation.

After yesterday, we seem to have a possibility of paying:

Kasper

Simpson/Amartey Maguire  Morgan  Fuchs/Chilwell

Iborra  Ndiddi

Mahrez  Gray  Albrighton/Chillwell

Vardy

All being well, this gives us two different and genuinely promising ways of playing.  This is something we have not had for a long time.  With the "new" formation we have the ability to bring on Okazaki who I think could become one of the best "impact" subs we have ever had.  This "new" formation may also be better at breaking down more defensive teams, less willing to attack (something we have struggled to do for a long time).  We always still have the good old 442, with Okazaki, if we want to be more combative.  I also feel that Slimani and Nacho could play in the Vardy role in this new formation without completely ruining it which has been the case in the more classic 442.

I suppose with the above formation we could also change it (even mid game if we choose) to a proper, three man central midfield if we are really being overrun in that area.  Again, this is something that many people have thought was an issue for a long time.  This looks especially possible once Silva is eligible to play.  It might look something like:

Kasper

Simpson  Maguire  Morgan  Fuchs

Iborra

Silva        Ndiddi

Mahrez                      Gray

Vardy

Anyway, lord knows what I have just rambled about and I am fully aware it is only one game, and against a struggling Everton side, so we cannot count our chickens but it is nice to at least have the possibility of an alternative game plan.

Come on you Foxes.

X

We looked good yesterday for 30 minutes out of the 90...

And got VERY lucky with the Fuchs tackle that was a stonewall penalty. If they'd got back in it at that stage the outcome may have been very different! 

I think Okazaki will still play a vital role in a lot of games. Chilwell and Gray had good games yesterday but we were at home against a team in desperately poor form. 

Don't think you can read too much into that one game in isolation. 

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Puel is rotater by trade so wouldn't be surprised if we have a few more ways of playing without Shinji, don't think it'll be too hard either but the 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 is a no go without him tbh

Is he? He had no choice at Southampton with the injuries he had and European Football. How did he fair with other clubs?

Think it was the first step towards becoming a team much more comfortable in possession.

Counter attack will always be a strength but can see us having abit more guile and skill up top to break down stubborn defences with Mahrez and Gray both playing. 

We played well for 30 minutes. I'm not having it that it was our grand plan to sit back and let them be all over is for the rest of the game. If we think playing that way is best, then we'd better learn to control the ball better as returning it to the opposition in your own half every 5 seconds is a sure fire was of conceding. For how much is made of them being poor upfront, they still waltzed through is numerous times and should have had a penno.

I was thinking last night we had seen the beginning of the end of Shinji's time as a 4411 linchpin.  Appeared he was subbed on for his harassing qualities after attack mode was dialed back.

There's simply too much unused (barely tried!) talent, and too few returns, for Puel to stick with the same old.

For a "defensive" coach, he didn't much change the shape of the defense (by the second half the FBs were right back in line, Simpson in tight).  But the first thing he did was scrap the notion that Shinji, Riyad, and hoofballs should be the only conduits to an isolated striker.

11 minutes ago, weller54 said:

We looked good yesterday for 30 minutes out of the 90...

And got VERY lucky with the Fuchs tackle that was a stonewall penalty. If they'd got back in it at that stage the outcome may have been very different! 

I think Okazaki will still play a vital role in a lot of games. Chilwell and Gray had good games yesterday but we were at home against a team in desperately poor form. 

Don't think you can read too much into that one game in isolation. 

Did you read my actual post?  I said it was only one game, I said Everton are struggling and at no point did I say Okazaki will not play a vital role, in fact i state this in my very first sentence. X

No. It was a great debut from Puel yesterday, but a better and luckier (Fuchs penalty) team than Everton would have made more of their second half dominance.

Every team needs an Okasaki. It's not so much that he's a world classplayer, only that every team needs somebody who does the Okasaki role: Linking attack and midfield, and dropping back to stop the opposition from building attacks. When he doesn't play, there's a huge hole in the middle of the team.

Watched the Brighton v Southampton game yesterday and was very impressed with Pascal Gross playing the 'Okasaki' role for Brighton.

3 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

No. It was a great debut from Puel yesterday, but a better and luckier (Fuchs penalty) team than Everton would have made more of their second half dominance.

Every team needs an Okasaki. It's not so much that he's a world classplayer, only that every team needs somebody who does the Okasaki role: Linking attack and midfield, and dropping back to stop the opposition from building attacks. When he doesn't play, there's a huge hole in the middle of the team.

Watched the Brighton v Southampton game yesterday and was very impressed with Pascal Gross playing the 'Okasaki' role for Brighton.

I said an ALTERNATIVE.  Why is everyone always so black and white.  I am not saying we don;t need Okazaki, I am saying we never play well without him but yesterday we did so maybe we might have found an alternative to go along side the usual 442 with Okazaki, not replace it.  I swear humans are going to destroy themselves over not quite listening to what other people say then arguing with it anyway.

X

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

I said an ALTERNATIVE.  Why is everyone always so black and white.  I am not saying we don;t need Okazaki, I am saying we never play well without him but yesterday we did so maybe we might have found an alternative to go along side the usual 442 with Okazaki, not replace it.  I swear humans are going to destroy themselves over not quite listening to what other people say then arguing with it anyway.

X

Pardon! 

I think what the OP is putting out there is that Leicester needs to learn different ways to play other than depending on one or two players. Okazaki is over 30 and won't be with the team forever.

As far as linking up play, playing Gray or Mahrez in the 10 would do more, especially in a more offensive lineup.

This team can't 442 forever.

Just now, RumbleFox said:

I said an ALTERNATIVE.  Why is everyone always so black and white.  I am not saying we don;t need Okazaki, I am saying we never play well without him but yesterday we did so maybe we might have found an alternative to go along side the usual 442 with Okazaki, not replace it.  I swear human are going to destory themselves over not quite listening to what other people say then arguing with it anyway.

X

Jeez. I know you created this thread but I think the power has gone to your head.

Also another point is that A team like Leicester is going to need to look at the players they have and start seeing ways of playing with them using different tactics. I think Gray, Iheanacho, Slimani, Chillwell and the like will show you this. Even our Center backs are going to have to adjust as well, where I think we will need defenders that can do more that old school defending.

4 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

I think what the OP is putting out there is that Leicester needs to learn different ways to play other than depending on one or two players. Okazaki is over 30 and won't be with the team forever.

As far as linking up play, playing Gray or Mahrez in the 10 would do more, especially in a more offensive lineup.

This team can't 442 forever.

Thank you.  I think my title was misleading.  I just mean it is nice to have a "Plan B" that doesn;t absolutely stink.  Let's hope Puel keeps it up. X

Guest CityFan 06

I still want Puel to play Okazaki and Albrighton, as I think they're both excellent for us. We've got a very good squad and judging from Sunday a new formation moving forward. Good options to have.

Just now, CityFan 06 said:

I still want Puel to play Okazaki and Albrighton, as I think they're both excellent for us. We've got a very good squad and judging from Sunday a new formation moving  forward. Good options to have.

I completely agree.  I just think it is positive to find a way to look good if we cannot play Okazaki which in the past we have really struggled with. X

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Thank you.  I think my title was misleading.  I just mean it is nice to have a "Plan B" that doesn;t absolutely stink.  Let's hope Puel keeps it up. X

This is the Twitter generation you're dealing with mate!

Nobody reads a post that's more than two lines long. You're lucky if people can be arsed to read to the end of the headline :D

Just now, Fox Ulike said:

This is the Twitter generation you're dealing with mate!

Nobody reads a post that's more than two lines long. You're lucky if people can be arsed to read to the end of the headline :D

To be fair I got bored myself even writing it so I don't blame anyone else.  If I were not me, and I met me, I would most likely find myself a terrible bore. X

The only issue I have when we start okazki (I think hes been great) is we have to take him off after 60/70 mins because hes shattered. This means we've used up 1 sub before the game starts. Our options up front with the expection of vardy aren't great. I do think puel realisied this and got the selection right however I do agree we were lucky not to of conceded a pen in the first half.  I still believe inechecho will come good as long as he plays him alongside vardy and not behind him. Atm vardy and okazki are the 2 who should be upfront. 

Archived