Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Did Puel just find a way to play well without Okazaki?

Yes, we were poor in the second half yesterday. However, I think it was largely down to individual errors- we just couldn't string 3 passes together and gave it away constantly, meaning we didn't get going as any sort of attacking force. On another day, and with a bit more care in possession, we would have ripped them to shreds on the counter. As it was, they controlled proceedings and we barely got out of our own half.

Our scintillating football in the first half and defensive organisation in the second were massive positives though. They're attributes which won us the league, and if Puel can develop us further with more time, then exciting times await us. His tactical nous may go a very long way with this group of players.

Okazaki still has a massive part to play in it all.

Why play a pressing player against a team of slow midfielders who can't do anything at either end. Chose pace. Score then get another and see the game out.

He will be key in most other matches. Everton was actually a lucky start for Puel to look at what we can't do without gaining three points. 

we cannot play like we did when we won the title we need a new style of football counter attacking needs to be a part of our game not our entire footballing threat. Where are the goals going to come from when vardy's legs have gone. we need a new style of football completely. what I saw against everton will hopefully be the start of good football at Leicester. Where we can build from the back and not need to hoof the ball every 3 passes. We need to phase out okazaki to allow this to happen and claude puel realises this and has dropped okazaki I hope we keep him long enough to transfer our football.

One brilliant 15 seconds and an own goal, otherwise less attacking intent than normal. Which I can accept as we were keeping what we had got.

But I was disappointed that we only closed down in the final third, Vardy et al didn't get stuck in until the last few minutes. A better team would have found a way through our defence. Everton were bereft of ideas thankfully.

Early days, a welcome three points, still think Okazaki has a major part to play. 

if anyone thinks we played well there kidding themselves, we played well for 10 to 15 mins in the 1st half and the 2nd half we were terrible. that 2nd half was as bad as i have seen us play for some time, a good side would have killed us. hope we get better or the coach will be seeing the door sooner rather than later.

11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Haha, he is biding his time.  I have full faith that the Nacho man will explode at some point.  Raining us all with his creamy goodness. X

11 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Sounds like a line from lady chatterlys lover :o

Ha haa their the books ? you pair read absolutely scandalous. Any more tips . I said tips. ?

I love how we in the course of one thread we have gone from playing well, to only playing well for one half, to 30 mins, to 15 mins, 10 minutes and finally 15 seconds.

Classic FT. 

What actually happened was we dominated the midfield first half by having numbers and a shape that gave us options. Iborra was deeper, Ndidi further forwards, the full backs were advanced and Mahrez and Gray were switching between the wing and behind Vardy. We passed it well carved them open more than just once and except for Lennon exploiting Fuchs' lack of pace they didn't look like scoring. Second half, to try and win the midfield battle Unsworth changed it up. He sacrificed width and creativity for another ball winner in the middle and strength up top. It made the middle of the park scrappy but Morgan and Maguire dealt with everything that was thrown at us, but due to a lack of midfield options CP couldn't or didn't want to do anything about it. Shakespeare probably would have thrown on Slimani in that situation and bypassed the midfield going long to the big man. What did happen is that Ndidi started playing deeper to protect our lead, which meant we ended up with a hole in the middle as Mahrez and subsequently Okazaki were to far forwards, this is where a genuine number 10 or CAM like Silva would do a better job. 

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I love how we in the course of one thread we have gone from playing well, to only playing well for one half, to 30 mins, to 15 mins, 10 minutes and finally 15 seconds.

Classic FT. 

What actually happened was we dominated the midfield first half by having numbers and a shape that gave us options. Iborra was deeper, Ndidi further forwards, the full backs were advanced and Mahrez and Gray were switching between the wing and behind Vardy. We passed it well carved them open more than just once and except for Lennon exploiting Fuchs' lack of pace they didn't look like scoring. Second half, to try and win the midfield battle Unsworth changed it up. He sacrificed width and creativity for another ball winner in the middle and strength up top. It made the middle of the park scrappy but Morgan and Maguire dealt with everything that was thrown at us, but due to a lack of midfield options CP couldn't or didn't want to do anything about it. Shakespeare probably would have thrown on Slimani in that situation and bypassed the midfield going long to the big man. What did happen is that Ndidi started playing deeper to protect our lead, which meant we ended up with a hole in the middle as Mahrez and subsequently Okazaki were to far forwards, this is where a genuine number 10 or CAM like Silva would do a better job. 

Nice summary captain

7 hours ago, KingKoala said:

I just don't get some people blaming Okazaki for us sticking with 442 and hoofball, while the issue was obviously in the middle and the back.

I certainly never blamed him for this, neither generally, nor in this post.  I love him, one of my favourite players.  I just stated that usually we look terrible without him and against Everton we didn't.  X

6 hours ago, bpfox said:

if anyone thinks we played well there kidding themselves, we played well for 10 to 15 mins in the 1st half and the 2nd half we were terrible. that 2nd half was as bad as i have seen us play for some time, a good side would have killed us. hope we get better or the coach will be seeing the door sooner rather than later.

That's the spirit. X

16 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I called you a cvnt. :)

15 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Oh I agree. But new manager, turbulent season, high pressure game.  I think we will improve  It takes a while to change a whole mentality.  :)

This thread is great and all but I have to get to the bottom of this.

Do you not like FoxUlike or DavieG enough to give them a kiss at the end of your posts to them? Every post in this thread has a kiss but to Fox and Davie you put smiley faces. Is it cause they're Fugly so you just smile from afar? lol 

(Now I wait for the response to my post with not even a smiley face lol)

I was probably most pleased with the idea of switching... we've been so predictable for so long now and the ability to just get Mahrez and Gray to swap every ten minutes clearly caused Everton issues. 

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

Classic FT. 

Thank you Claude for that tactical summary, I was thinking the same myself. Welcome to FT

29 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I was probably most pleased with the idea of switching... we've been so predictable for so long now and the ability to just get Mahrez and Gray to swap every ten minutes clearly caused Everton issues. 

A new role for Mahrez that takes away a lot of his defensive duties and gives him more responsibility in attacking. Only at Leicester do we get a thoroughbred racehorse like Mahrez and make him plough the fields.

Getting Gray on the pitch with Mahrez makes us such more dynamic in an attacking sense.

Gray and Chilwell getting a start indicates he wants to develop the younger players who've been allowed to stagnate under the previous regimes.

A new formation will shake the whole squad up and people who previously had their feet under the table will be thinking again.

There was so much to like about last Sunday.

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

This thread is great and all but I have to get to the bottom of this.

Do you not like FoxUlike or DavieG enough to give them a kiss at the end of your posts to them? Every post in this thread has a kiss but to Fox and Davie you put smiley faces. Is it cause they're Fugly so you just smile from afar? lol 

(Now I wait for the response to my post with not even a smiley face lol)

Haha, finally, the real issue is addressed.  To be honest I don't even know, I just like to mix it up and keep all my fans on their toes.  I owe it to them. X :)

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

It wasn't just those 2 switching, Iborra and Ndidi mixed it up, and we actually varied our throw ins, instead of every throw being a Fuchs bomb into the box he actually turned down a couple of chances in order to keep possession and build the attack.

I think that is the biggest problem with our tried and tested formula, it is very predictable and whilst it can be effective it isn't  going to catch teams out in the same way it did 2 years ago. What was good to see is a change in formation and personnel that basically blew Everton's preparation out the water. I think they wanted to use their pace up front to catch us on the counter as they know we give the ball away so much. They were not expecting to lose the midfield and be starved of the ball. Lennon and Mirallas were their best chances of a goal but they couldn't get the ball out to them so they were taken off at half time to try and win the middle of the pitch. The other big positive was that we still had those blistering breaks that are so devastating, but we triggered them when we the time was right and not a hopeful point for Vardy and Okazaki to try and make something happen.

Archived