Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Did Puel just find a way to play well without Okazaki?

Just now, RumbleFox said:

To be fair I got bored myself even writing it so I don't blame anyone else.  If I were not me, and I met me, I would most likely find myself a terrible bore. X

Sorry mate, you lost me after "If I were not me, and I met me..."

DId I miss anything important?

It's the LB and RB that need to be sorted out.

We have ample options in midfield and attack for changing things about. Puel just needs to tell the players this is how it is now work at it. It's the the back corners that are our problem.

btw anyone thinking that our 442 with okazaki has been good ought to review our last 18 months. We have been doggo.

34 minutes ago, weller54 said:

We looked good yesterday for 30 minutes out of the 90...

And got VERY lucky with the Fuchs tackle that was a stonewall penalty. If they'd got back in it at that stage the outcome may have been very different! 

I think Okazaki will still play a vital role in a lot of games. Chilwell and Gray had good games yesterday but we were at home against a team in desperately poor form. 

Don't think you can read too much into that one game in isolation. 

I think you're right. I get the impression that Puel is all about the squad.

I actually think Mahrez will be on the bench against Stoke, with Okasaki coming in. Horses for courses an all that.

Puel certainly seems to have more of an open mind then Shakey, so the team's going to be less of a closed shop now. A case in point is his first game. Puel explained post match that he had watched Gray for England and knew he could do a job for us, the same is probably true for Chilwell. On that hunch he benched 2 of our most consistent performers. I think he'll change formations and personnel more often then we're used to and Shinji will become more of a squad player then a nailed on starter. Personally i'm glad because its time we moved on from our hoof and hope tactics.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Before I even start, I love Okazaki and want him to remain at the club until he retires (at which point I want to adopt him) and still think he should feature for us as regularly as possible.

However.......

I think for a long time, lots have us have wanted some sort of alternative way of playing, one which provides even slightly more possession and/or creativity.  Not to REPLACE the way we played when we won the league but to COMPLEMENT it.  The problem has been that even though some people on this forum slate Okazaki, and cannot figure out what he even does, we always look better with him in the team and we have struggled to find anyone else who can "do an Okazaki" in the present system.  Did Puel yesterday manage to find us a "Plan B"?  Did he manage to give an alternative that we may be able to play against the "easier" teams, and at home?  The ability to mix it up a little would be so useful for us because our usual way of playing can be devastating but we cannot play it week in, week out without any thought of the opposition, tactics, etc.  If the opposition knows we can mix it up a little then surely that can only be a plus?

Our standard team has been:

Kasper

Simpson  Maguire  Morgan  Fuchs

Mahrez  Iborra  Ndiddi  Albrighton

Okazaki

Vardy

We then bring on someone on for Okazaki, whilst Albrighton usually tires meaning we have had trouble seeing out games.  Vardy can also sometimes tire in which case we are completely blunt up front.  I think Slimani is a very good footballer but he is just not suited to this formation.

After yesterday, we seem to have a possibility of paying:

Kasper

Simpson/Amartey Maguire  Morgan  Fuchs/Chilwell

Iborra  Ndiddi

Mahrez  Gray  Albrighton/Chillwell

Vardy

All being well, this gives us two different and genuinely promising ways of playing.  This is something we have not had for a long time.  With the "new" formation we have the ability to bring on Okazaki who I think could become one of the best "impact" subs we have ever had.  This "new" formation may also be better at breaking down more defensive teams, less willing to attack (something we have struggled to do for a long time).  We always still have the good old 442, with Okazaki, if we want to be more combative.  I also feel that Slimani and Nacho could play in the Vardy role in this new formation without completely ruining it which has been the case in the more classic 442.

I suppose with the above formation we could also change it (even mid game if we choose) to a proper, three man central midfield if we are really being overrun in that area.  Again, this is something that many people have thought was an issue for a long time.  This looks especially possible once Silva is eligible to play.  It might look something like:

Kasper

Iborra

Silva        Ndiddi

Mahrez                      Gray

Vardy

Anyway, lord knows what I have just rambled about and I am fully aware it is only one game, and against a struggling Everton side, so we cannot count our chickens but it is nice to at least have the possibility of an alternative game plan.

Come on you Foxes.

X

Hmmm..

Someone's not impressed with those line ups.

images.jpg.a01193ca89b05be00ac3fa4252c5355f.jpg

37 minutes ago, CityFan 06 said:

I still want Puel to play Okazaki and Albrighton, as I think they're both excellent for us. We've got a very good squad and judging from Sunday a new formation moving forward. Good options to have.

Okazaki and Albrighton are two of the biggest culprits on why we always have such low possession stats. I'm not saying they don't have their uses because they clearly do but neither would be anywhere near a top side. I think the OP's formation of this will be very near the mark apart from the full backs will be different:

Kasper

Iborra

Silva        Ndiddi

Vardy

I personally think this is how we evolve and Okazaki and Albrighton won't be very influential in this formation.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Is he? He had no choice at Southampton with the injuries he had and European Football. How did he fair with other clubs?

In Nice he rotated players quite often, and wasn't afraid of changing formations (unlike Shakey)

17 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Okazaki and Albrighton are two of the biggest culprits on why we always have such low possession stats. I'm not saying they don't have their uses because they clearly do but neither would be anywhere near a top side. I think the OP's formation of this will be very near the mark apart from the full backs will be different:

Kasper

Iborra

Silva        Ndiddi

Vardy

I personally think this is how we evolve and Okazaki and Albrighton won't be very influential in this formation.

Our possession  and pass completion was appalling from when we got the 2nd goal without Albrighton and Okasaki. The team went into their hot  potato / let's panic mode. When they get like that they're all as bad as each other.

1 hour ago, Fox Ulike said:

Watched the Brighton v Southampton game yesterday and was very impressed with Pascal Gross playing the 'Okasaki' role for Brighton.

We should definitely go in for him if it looks like Brighton are going down. He can do the Okazaki role and actually play football.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

Our possession  and pass completion was appalling from when we got the 2nd goal without Albrighton and Okasaki. The team went into their hot  potato / let's panic mode. When they get like that they're all as bad as each other.

I think maybe we need to give him more than 1 game and three days in charge to completely overhaul our system.  Even the mighty Pep took a full year so a little harsh to expect Puel to do it in 3 days.  All this post is designed to state is that we have a possibility of a Plan B, nothing more.  We will see how it pans out but as a first game, you have to try very hard to make a 2-0 win into a negative. X

Okazaki will still have an important role, especially as an impact sub to hold on a result, but I definitely think that Puel will build the team without him as a starter. With him it's just that wonky, unsatisfying 4-4-2 all over again and too much of the new signing suffer from it. Fuchs and Albrighton are the next on the list to be axed.

6 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I think maybe we need to give him more than 1 game and three days in charge to completely overhaul our system.  Even the mighty Pep took a full year so a little harsh to expect Puel to do it in 3 days.  All this post is designed to state is that we have a possibility of a Plan B, nothing more.  We will see how it pans out but as a first game, you have to try very hard to make a 2-0 win into a negative. X

I wasn't criticising Park just pointing out how our team seems to lack on the ball confidence even when they're 2 nil up.

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

I wasn't criticising Park just pointing out how our team seems to lack on the ball confidence even when they're 2 nil up.

Oh I agree. But new manager, turbulent season, high pressure game.  I think we will improve  It takes a while to change a whole mentality.  :)

A bit early for conclusions I think. Everton were awful and our players were up for it, which they haven't always been. One of the posts above is correct as well, we were very good for about half an hour but weren't extended past that. It wasn't a big test.

Having said that, the fact we played well with a different formation is a positive sign. I'll have to see far more matches before I decide whether it's my preferred formation - after all, we've played well in 4-4-2 before but people are convinced it's the wrong system (and with the players we've got, I'm inclined to agree).

Personally, I think if we'd played 4-4-2 last night with the same attitude, with Okazaki, we'd have still won. I don't think the formation change was a stroke of genius or anything. But I commend him for trying something different and the fact it didn't backfire means it is an option. Playing 4 in the middle against better teams is the problem for me, not against the weaker ones.

I'd personally like to see something similar but with 3 at the back. It appears the full backs are the weak links again, whereas another issue with 4 in midfield is we get overrun. 3-5-2 would solve both these issues without having to sacrifice a man up front, whether that's Okazaki or someone else.

Everton played into our hands.

Remember last season, while in the midst of being utter crap under Ranieri, we managed to totally destroy Pep's Man City with no Okazaki and with a midfield 2 of Amartey and King.

Give it at least 10 more games (and Silva to be thrown into the mix) before making a conclusion.

Archived