Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Slimani to Watford or Besiktas?

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

lollol some tit called Filbert has been on wfc forum telling them all about slim lol Seems he cost us 35m where the fvck do people get this info?

it was 30m euros upfront + 5m euros in addons (some of which will have been CL related), so not that far off really.

Edited by brucey

A lot of people are saying that Islam has an attitude problem and that he's refused to play. Is there any truth to this - with evidence - or is it the usual FT take a fake news comment by a poster and then run with it? or simply adding 1 and 1 (he's not on the bench for a couple of games) and getting 23?

He's always seemed to have a good attitude to me and to get along with everyone both on the pitch and in the training clips I've seen.

Perhaps Ulloa told him that refusing to play is the way to get a new contract and a place on the bench.

Still hoping that Slimani stays and Ulloa goes. Such a big difference in skill level between the two.

8 hours ago, brucey said:

it was 30m euros upfront + 5m euros in addons (some of which will have been CL related), so not that far off really.

At today's exchange rate (lower) it works out at 30.8m if we payed all add ons. He's down as or record buy at 29m £ that's way short.

Only The Sun, but does have an interesting direct quote from Puel: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5148618/islam-slimani-leicester-watford-west-brom-stoke/

Puel: "[Slimani] provides the same option as Ulloa who has worked hard in training sessions. I think Slimani is also working very well in training now. But it is always difficult for me to make assurances with so much competition between the players. I cannot say yet what will happen in the transfer window but it is difficult for me and the staff to manage all these players for the same position.”

The comments in bold/underlined (my emphasis) sound as if Claude thought he lacked commitment at first.

His other comments suggest that he's inclined to sell (though he did say that Slimani was in his squad at the weekend.....but he wasn't on the bench on Saturday, as I recall).

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Only The Sun, but does have an interesting direct quote from Puel: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5148618/islam-slimani-leicester-watford-west-brom-stoke/

Puel: "[Slimani] provides the same option as Ulloa who has worked hard in training sessions. I think Slimani is also working very well in training now. But it is always difficult for me to make assurances with so much competition between the players. I cannot say yet what will happen in the transfer window but it is difficult for me and the staff to manage all these players for the same position.”

The comments in bold/underlined (my emphasis) sound as if Claude thought he lacked commitment at first.

His other comments suggest that he's inclined to sell (though he did say that Slimani was in his squad at the weekend.....but he wasn't on the bench on Saturday, as I recall).

You have a point and I agree with comments that question his attitude, perhaps it's just his demeanour and naturally relaxed body language (Similar to Mahrez) but it's an easy thing to throw at him however on the other hand I think it's more than easy to read to much into Puel's comments and alot of thing said by Puel can be 'lost in translation'.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

You have a point and I agree with comments that question his attitude, perhaps it's just his demeanour and naturally relaxed body language (Similar to Mahrez) but it's an easy thing to throw at him however on the other hand I think it's more than easy to read to much into Puel's comments and alot of thing said by Puel can be 'lost in translation'.

I certainly wouldn't express a negative view on Slimani's attitude myself. When he's been on the pitch, he has generally looked very committed to me - and I don't see him in training.

You're right that I might be reading too much into Puel's comments, but Puel has chosen (apparently) to compare Slimani to Ulloa and (apparently) to imply that he has too many strikers.

If he's not even convinced that he's going to use Slimani from the bench, I cannot see the point in keeping him. To me, he seems like a good striker - just the wrong sort of striker for the way we play.

It's probably unfair to him to keep him, if so - and selling him could generate a half-decent sum towards an inbound signing.

Whether that would leave us short of quality strikers is another issue, though. If Vardy got injured, I'm not sure I'd be happy relying on some combination of Shinji, Leo, Musa and Gray/Mahrez out of position....

If Puel doesn't fancy Slimani, I reckon we could do with losing Musa, too, but bringing in a better striker with pace to understudy Vardy and make appearances off the bench....unless Musa is showing him something that he didn't show to Shakespeare...

48 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Quoted slightly differently in the Mercury: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-news-time-932984

He provides the same option as Ulloa because Ulloa works very well in the training session, harder.

“I think now Slimani is working very well also. 

A single word that is significant in the context. I can't be bothered to watch his entire press conference to see which quote is accurate.

25 minutes ago, toddybad said:

He just isn't very good.

bollox.

He's our second best striker on the evidence shown on the pitch since his arrival.

If Vardy gets injured he is the best option to lead us in games, hopefully Iheanacho will develop into that option but we haven't hardly seen him yet. I really do not want ulloa  leading the team that is a recipe for disaster and Musa seems to have disappeared completely.

17 minutes ago, FIF said:

bollox.

He's our second best striker on the evidence shown on the pitch since his arrival.

If Vardy gets injured he is the best option to lead us in games, hopefully Iheanacho will develop into that option but we haven't hardly seen him yet. I really do not want ulloa  leading the team that is a recipe for disaster and Musa seems to have disappeared completely.

He can't control a football properly. He can barely pass and even looks uncomfortable just running. Ulloa can hold up play and bring others into the game. The ball just bounces off of slim.

Edited by Guest

No one noticed him storming off the pitch at the end of the league matches in which he did play this season without shaking anyone's hand or clapping the supporters?

Or the fact that he's stuck out like a sore thumb for throwing his arms up in the air and shouting at team mates in a team that is generally supportive of each other even when mistakes are made?

And now Puel's come in and, despite seemingly having been willing to give him a chance at first, is now talking about Ulloa's attitude/hard work in comparison?

The clues are all there that the guy is pretty toxic around the place because he has the hump that he's not been playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

He can't control a football properly. He can barely pass and even looks uncomfortable just running. Ulloa can hold up play and bring others into the game. The ball just bounces off of slim.

No he cannot. I understand why you and others don't rate Slimani, but there's no need to pretend Ulloa is any good to emphasize the point lol.

49 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

No he cannot. I understand why you and others don't rate Slimani, but there's no need to pretend Ulloa is any good to emphasize the point lol.

I just meant in comparison. I'd rather have giroud if it helps.

Would sooner take a hit and send him back to Portugal than get our money back from a team like Watford.

He will score goals at this level if he's given the chance in a side that sets up for him (4-3-3 with direct wingers - i.e. Watford).

38 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Would sooner take a hit and send him back to Portugal than get our money back from a team like Watford.

He will score goals at this level if he's given the chance in a side that sets up for him (4-3-3 with direct wingers - i.e. Watford).

I can never really understand this point of view. Our fate isn't intertwined with Watford.

It's a no brainer for me, I'd much rather get all our money back off Watford and Slimani get 20 goals a season for them than sell him back to Sporting for half the money.

When you sell a player for decent money whether that be Slimani, Iheanacho, Schlupp or Lawrence then you have to accept the reason you're getting such good money is the buyers think they're getting a player that can do well for them. A lot of our fans seem only happy to sell if the player is virtually confirmed to be not good enough and we get a nominal sum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I can never really understand this point of view. Our fate isn't intertwined with Watford.

It's a no brainer for me, I'd much rather get all our money back off Watford and Slimani get 20 goals a season for them than sell him back to Sporting for half the money.

When you sell a player for decent money whether that be Slimani, Iheanacho, Schlupp or Lawrence then you have to accept the reason you're getting such good money is the buyers think they're getting a player that can do well for them. A lot of our fans seem only happy to sell if the player is virtually confirmed to be not good enough and we get a nominal sum.

I would say that Watford are a direct challenger of ours. Doesn't make sense to strengthen them for relative peanuts. They wanted 40m for Deeney for the same reason.

To sell him a 20 goal a season striker (I can easily see him doing that for them) for 30m or sell him abroad for 20m?

The latter all day for me.

Just now, AKCJ said:

I would say that Watford are a direct challenger of ours. Doesn't make sense to strengthen them for relative peanuts. They wanted 40m for Deeney for the same reason.

To sell him a 20 goal a season striker (I can easily see him doing that for them) for 30m or sell him abroad for 20m?

The latter all day for me.

Well we won't get £30m from Watford nor £20m from Sporting and I'm sure in hindsight they wish they sold Deeney when we were prepared to pay the best part of £30m for him. 

We spent the best part of £30m on Slimani and for one reason or another he's failed here. To be able to make a mistake in the transfer market and to be not fully punished for it is a great thing especially when that player will be 30 in six months. 

If I was the owner or a shareholder of LCFC and someone wanted to virtually flush £10m down the toilet because they'd rather he went abroad than go to another mid table PL team I'd want them sacking. You're speaking like a fan who doesn't care about the club's finances rather than making a decision in the best interests of the club over the next few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

Well we won't get £30m from Watford nor £20m from Sporting and I'm sure in hindsight they wish they sold Deeney when we were prepared to pay the best part of £30m for him. 

We spent the best part of £30m on Slimani and for one reason or another he's failed here. To be able to make a mistake in the transfer market and to be not fully punished for it is a great thing especially when that player will be 30 in six months. 

If I was the owner or a shareholder of LCFC and someone wanted to virtually flush £10m down the toilet because they'd rather he went abroad than go to another mid table PL team I'd want them sacking. You're speaking like a fan who doesn't care about the club's finances rather than making a decision in the best interests of the club over the next few years.

You're not wrong.

10m to the club is pittance. As a fan I'd rather see us finish as high up the table as possible, strengthening rivals isn't the best way to go about that.

It's not like it was 10-15 years ago when we really did have the be stingy. Money has ****ed the sport, it means nothing to Premier League clubs.

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

You're not wrong.

10m to the club is pittance. As a fan I'd rather see us finish as high up the table as possible, strengthening rivals isn't the best way to go about that.

It's not like it was 10-15 years ago when we really did have the be stingy. Money has ****ed the sport, it means nothing to Premier League clubs.

£10m really isn't pittance.

Long term we can only really afford to spend about £20m net per season on transfers.