Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Slimani to Watford or Besiktas?

With a majority of clubs close to the drop zone, and humongous money at stake, we may get a price that reflects more than a glimmer of the deadline premium we paid.

A loan proposal from a competitive club like Watford is birdcage liner.   They can pay the price, find an alternative, or hope Deeney rediscovers pace, motivation, and self control.

• Like 2

I agree a loan is not ideal but IF he goes to someone like Watford and scores a hatful then his value will only increase, a good goals return for his loan club and a bidding war in the summer would be the ideal scenario- he's not adding value while he's out of our first team. 

I still maintain that I think he's a good player, a natural finisher.  He just doesn't fit into our system at all.

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Loaning him out would be shite business.

Unless there was a mandatory summer transfer fee involved if a certain criteria was met. I wouldn't mind him going to Wolves if they had to buy if they got promoted or a PL club having to buy if they stay up,etc.

What we don't want is to lend him out for a nominal fee and the buying club saying he's too expensive for a 30 year old in the summer. I'm sure there'll be plenty of suitors for him as he is a striker with a 0.49 goal per 90 min record at PL level last season and those type of strikers aren't obtainable in January but I worry they'll want to get him on the cheap.

He's a striker who works hard, is great in the air and can finish with his feet. A lot of managers love that sort of no frills No9, I'm sure he'll be in demand but I'm not sure we'll be inundated with £20m+ offers. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Unless there was a mandatory summer transfer fee involved if a certain criteria was met. I wouldn't mind him going to Wolves if they had to buy if they got promoted or a PL club having to buy if they stay up,etc.

What we don't want is to lend him out for a nominal fee and the buying club saying he's too expensive for a 30 year old in the summer. I'm sure there'll be plenty of suitors for him as he is a striker with a 0.49 goal per 90 min record at PL level last season and those type of strikers aren't obtainable in January but I worry they'll want to get him on the cheap.

He's a striker who works hard, is great in the air and can finish with his feet. A lot of managers love that sort of no frills No9, I'm sure he'll be in demand but I'm not sure we'll be inundated with £20m+ offers. 

:nigel:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Why the **** would he go to Wolves? lol 

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Why the **** would he go to Wolves? lol 

1) Wolves are looking for a striker in January, he would be an excellent addition to solidify their promotion bid especially if they were only forced to buy if promoted.

2) Wolves currently have a huge Portuguese link at the club, they would be buying one of the most highly rated strikers to come out of Portugal in recent years. 

3) According to the bookies Wolves are more likely to be a PL team next season than nine teams currently in the PL.

If Slimani and Wolves were offered a match up in January do you think either would dismiss it out of hand?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Jesus..!   Now you mention it, we should fking Damn well keep him..

He, Silva and Iborra will be a revelation....Plan B sorted..:D

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gerard said:

1) Wolves are looking for a striker in January, he would be an excellent addition to solidify their promotion bid especially if they were only forced to buy if promoted.

2) Wolves currently have a huge Portuguese link at the club, they would be buying one of the most highly rated strikers to come out of Portugal in recent years. 

3) According to the bookies Wolves are more likely to be a PL team next season than nine teams currently in the PL.

If Slimani and Wolves were offered a match up in January do you think either would dismiss it out of hand?

There is no way he will be dropping down to the Championship.

He'll have a 20/30 more appealing offers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

There is no way he will be dropping down to the Championship.

He'll have a 20/30 more appealing offers.

Wolves are 1/33 to be promoted with Ladbrokes, Corals and William Hill.

It's feasible to see that being a more attractive offer than joining a lot of lower half PL clubs. 

There's no way he will get "20/30 more appealing offers", most of the teams in Europe will come into two categories:

1) Those who want him but can't afford him

2) Those who can afford him but wouldn't want him.

There'll be very few (if any) teams in Europe who can afford him and would want him. He'll be almost certainly staying in England.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Wolves are 1/33 to be promoted with Ladbrokes, Corals and William Hill.

It's feasible to see that being a more attractive offer than joining a lot of lower half PL clubs. 

There's no way he will get "20/30 more appealing offers", most of the teams in Europe will come into two categories:

1) Those who want him but can't afford him

2) Those who can afford him but wouldn't want him.

There'll be very few (if any) teams in Europe who can afford him and would want him. He'll be almost certainly staying in England.

I have to agree with this. Plenty of teams in Portugal, bottom half teams in Spain, France, Italy and Germany would want him but wouldn't be able to afford him. Many of the teams in top half sides in the top 5 leagues can afford him but wouldn't want him, at least for that price point.

If you put him up for sale at 15 million Euros/12 million quid, he would be gone quickly in January.

I think a relegation side in the prem will buy him for 20-25m.

13 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Loaning him out would be shite business.

I think loaning him out with an agreed fixed price will be our best chance of getting our money back for him...  He has to show he can do it in the prem on a consistent weekly basis before anyone will pay what we want for him...

at the moment, i would have him over kelechi because he is a lot easier to put in a squad and get goals out of him.

people like to have a go at slim for some reason, in his second game he got 2 goal and secured a win. when the team couldn't buy a chance, he was looking dangerous. his bullet header vs west ham was just amazing

if he goes to a PL team and we play them, he will abuse our defense in the air. he has 15-20goas in him, but he just doesn't fit here

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, the fox said:

at the moment, i would have him over kelechi because he is a lot easier to put in a squad and get goals out of him.

people like to have a go at slim for some reason, in his second game he got 2 goal and secured a win. when the team couldn't buy a chance, he was looking dangerous. his bullet header vs west ham was just amazing

if he goes to a PL team and we play them, he will abuse our defense in the air. he has 15-20goas in him, but he just doesn't fit here

I agree he certainly has PL quality, In the right team he could be devastating.

Like the vast majority of strikers he's dependent on service and Slimani needs quality balls in the box from crosses or through balls. At Leicester we just can utilise him as Vardy is the undisputed No9 and we've wasted Slimani's assets by trying to play him with Vardy mostly as a No10 or in Okazaki's role and it just doesn't suit him. He needs to go somewhere as the main No9 and them play to his strengths. Unfortunately Leicester and Slimani aren't a good match but that doesn't mean he can't do really well at another PL club.

• Like 2

Has this been posted yet?

Newcastle United are interested in a January transfer window move for Leicester City’s record-signing Islam Slimani – but there are major problems with any deal.

We understand that Magpies boss Rafa Benitez has a long-standing interest in the 29-year-old striker and badly needs reinforcements as his side have dropped into the bottom three after five consecutive Premier League defeats.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/theres-big-problem-any-newcastle-961735

5 hours ago, Matt said:

:nigel:

He certainly works a damn site harder than Ihenacho that is for sure.  If he loses the ball in the same way that  Ihenacho did on Tuesday night, he will work his arse off to try and get it back, not put his arms out and stop playing.

He got slaughtered on here earlier this season for having a shot saved, after winning the ball in a tackle on the edge of our penalty box, passing it, and then running the length of the pitch to get on the end of the pass that he had the shot with, where the keeper made a good save, but was deemed miss of the century on here by some, despite Vardy having missed far easier chances in the past.

• Like 1

The truth that all of you know he is the Best striker you have. His goals , assists and ratio speak for itself...you just don't dare to take Vardy out for him to play, or rather the new appointed managers didn't dare to take vardy to give him a chance....because they were afraid to take risks or afraid to upset players... Note athat Vardy yes score from time to time, but it's really any striker can do that if he is given that tons of time.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Fennec-Fox said:

The truth that all of you know he is the Best striker you have. His goals , assists and ratio speak for itself...you just don't dare to take Vardy out for him to play, or rather the new appointed managers didn't dare to take vardy to give him a chance....because they were afraid to take risks or afraid to upset players... Note athat Vardy yes score from time to time, but it's really any striker can do that if he is given that tons of time.

No.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Fennec-Fox said:

He couldn’t trap a hedgehog whilst wearing plasticine boots

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Fennec-Fox said:

it's about systems. both very different players. in the right system, they will have pretty much the same goal tally (an unpopiler opinion but, would take slimani over vardy in those slugfest fixtures like watford, wba...etc, but like i said, in the right system).

would imagine slimani is a very appealing option for teams struggling to create chances; it is far easier to just bomb the box with crosses and he will make a living in that newcastle system. 

he runs funny and he has a "don't mess with me" face so it's a lot harder to relate to him compaired to the loveble shinji and the english vardy. he works really hard, some in here think he doesn't; which is insane seeing that algeria and sporting fans who watched him more all talk about his amazing work rate

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Still wish he could stay here tbh ..   would love to know why CP binned him so quickly ...   

I just think his football is everything Puel's is not and the money gives him the ability to add his own players.

1 hour ago, Fennec-Fox said:

3 Managers have now chosen not to give him a good run . All 3 cannot be wrong  they see him week in week out in trainng

• Thanks 1