Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

9 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

One of the pups - the last one born is really struggling. Seems to be suffering from "Fading Puppy Syndrome". He just won't feed, hasn't gained any weight and seems to be fading fast. Have spent the last 24 hours trying to syringe feed him every hour or so. Am absolutely knackered. Probably won't make much difference to his prospects, but you've got to try I suppose

Feel sorry for the little fella. Last time we had a litter, we had 8 pups who sailed through with no problems so it's tough this time having lost one and possibly another one who won't make it.

The other two seem to be doing well though, fingers crossed

Dont give up on him Stripey ...    :(

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Dont give up on him Stripey ...    :(

I'm not going to give up. The vet says "there's not much you can do except try and get some milk in him and hope for the best". It might not make a difference but I have to try. Was up all night mixing formula up - worse than having a baby!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I'm not going to give up. The vet says "there's not much you can do except try and get some milk in him and hope for the best". It might not make a difference but I have to try. Was up all night mixing formula up - worse than having a baby!

:fc: bless him.

4 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Aww please keep trying (which i know you will.)

Not sure if it will make you feel any better but my friend had a litter of Great Dane pups (12 of them - damn it was hard work feeding them every few hours.) and one of the pups had the same diagnosis, it was doing really poorly, wouldnt feed & seemed very lethargic compared to the others.

However after a few days and literally expecting the worse to happen at any time, it just picked up. This was about 5 years ago and that same puppy went on to get 2nd best bitch in this years Crufts. 

6 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Aww please keep trying (which i know you will.)

Not sure if it will make you feel any better but my friend had a litter of Great Dane pups (12 of them - damn it was hard work feeding them every few hours.) and one of the pups had the same diagnosis, it was doing really poorly, wouldnt feed & seemed very lethargic compared to the others.

However after a few days and literally expecting the worse to happen at any time, it just picked up. This was about 5 years ago and that same puppy went on to get 2nd best bitch in this years Crufts. 

That's encouraging. He's made it through another night but only by being fed by a syringe. He won't suckle on the bottle or on his mum though. We're going to talk to the vet this morning. We can take him to see the vet but I think there is only a certain amount they can do for such a tiny pup and the risk of having to take the dog and all the pups to the vet could put the others at risk (from infections I guess?). 

The little fella didn't make it. I think he had some stomach or bowel defect. I'll spare you the details because it wasn't very nice but he was comfortable and peaceful when he slipped away. Been a really difficult few days but the good news is mum and the other two pups seem to be doing really well. 

They're gorging themselves on milk and mum is enjoying lots of treats to keep her strength up.

Sad as it is, hopefully we can move on and be grateful we have two healthy pups and a healthy mum too 

• Sad 8

7 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

The little fella didn't make it. I think he had some stomach or bowel defect. I'll spare you the details because it wasn't very nice but he was comfortable and peaceful when he slipped away. Been a really difficult few days but the good news is mum and the other two pups seem to be doing really well. 

They're gorging themselves on milk and mum is enjoying lots of treats to keep her strength up.

Sad as it is, hopefully we can move on and be grateful we have two healthy pups and a healthy mum too 

So sorry to hear that he didn’t make it, @stripeyfox :( But it’s good to hear that the two others and the mum are doing well. 

I hope this photo lightens the mood slightly. It’s our little Golden dude who we’re picking up on Thursday. 

4C6A52B7-02F6-4778-9541-2158080C6071.thumb.jpeg.7b741cb90b1002000c82ca5625e5357b.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

So sorry to hear that he didn’t make it, @stripeyfox :( But it’s good to hear that the two others and the mum are doing well. 

I hope this photo lightens the mood slightly. It’s our little Golden dude who we’re picking up on Thursday. 

4C6A52B7-02F6-4778-9541-2158080C6071.thumb.jpeg.7b741cb90b1002000c82ca5625e5357b.jpeg

He’ll be shitting on your floor and eating your furniture in no time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Came downstairs this morning to a terrible smell... Dog had shat her bed in the night so I let her outside and she had a couple of bouts of watery diarrhea. Cleaned her up and gave her a tiny amount of egg and rice with water in it. She's been eating a bit of grass lately but hasn't been acting any differently. Should I take her to the vets or just keep an eye on her?

4 year old labrador, no blood in the faeces. Hasn't eaten anything out the ordinary (from what I've seen). Only other time she's had diarrhea was when she drank seawater at the beach and that was just one big bout and then back to normal.

14 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Came downstairs this morning to a terrible smell... Dog had shat her bed in the night so I let her outside and she had a couple of bouts of watery diarrhea. Cleaned her up and gave her a tiny amount of egg and rice with water in it. She's been eating a bit of grass lately but hasn't been acting any differently. Should I take her to the vets or just keep an eye on her?

4 year old labrador, no blood in the faeces. Hasn't eaten anything out the ordinary (from what I've seen). Only other time she's had diarrhea was when she drank seawater at the beach and that was just one big bout and then back to normal.

Give her some cooked chicken for breakfast mate that should settle her stomach. Also white rice is decent.

I wouldn’t worry too much it happens, I’ll take this time to remind everyone of the time where my dog shat all over my pillow.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

i wouldn't immediately rush to the vet. Chicken or rice is good and just keep an eye on here.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Give her some cooked chicken for breakfast mate that should settle her stomach. Also white rice is decent.

I wouldn’t worry too much it happens, I’ll take this time to remind everyone of the time where my dog shat all over my pillow.

Yeah.... the dog..... right.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

i wouldn't immediately rush to the vet. Chicken or rice is good and just keep an eye on here.  

54 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Cheers for the advice, I've given her scrambled egg with white rice as I've heard that's as easy on the stomach as I haven't got any chicken in (besides Chicken Dippers, and she's not having them). Been about an hour with no further development so I guess it's not too serious but gonna feed her small amounts throughout the day and make sure she's drinking

Spent the last hour convinced that there's germs fvcking everywhere so I'm disinfecting every damn surface of the house!

12 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Cheers for the advice, I've given her scrambled egg with white rice as I've heard that's as easy on the stomach as I haven't got any chicken in (besides Chicken Dippers, and she's not having them). Been about an hour with no further development so I guess it's not too serious but gonna feed her small amounts throughout the day and make sure she's drinking

Spent the last hour convinced that there's germs fvcking everywhere so I'm disinfecting every damn surface of the house!

mate my dog drinks out of the toilet if it gets the chance so i wouldn't worry too much about germs!

33 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I don’t know what strange things the people of Norway get up to but taking a crap on my own pillow isn’t something that generally happens over here.

Ah well, I have to confess to not being Norwegian, or live in Norway (although I do have family there).

Maybe time I changed my pic!

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

mate my dog drinks out of the toilet if it gets the chance so i wouldn't worry too much about germs!

I could be wrong but I don't think he was worried about the dog catching germs...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Just let a dog have her dippers ffs.