Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Have you had any changes to your daily routine? Any new neighbors that may have new pets in close by gardens?

Not any major routine changes recently... we have new neighbours a couple of houses up the road but they don't have any pets as far as I'm aware

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Not any major routine changes recently... we have new neighbours a couple of houses up the road but they don't have any pets as far as I'm aware

Ok, it was just a thought.

We had new neighbors, they had a cat and it used to torment my dog, it totally changed his mood at home. It would sit on the shed roof and swish it’s tail just out of reach from him. 

It didnt last long (it probably lost the territory to another cat) but he was weird for a while.

• Like 1

Our GSD Pup is 11 months now, and she has got really reactive at the moment.  We have a one to one training session with a behaviorist on Wednesday to try and sort it out, but she barks and jumps on her lead when she sees dogs she doesn't know.  Fine off lead.  I'm sure we can sort it out, but it is hard work at the moment.

25 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Ok, it was just a thought.

We had new neighbors, they had a cat and it used to torment my dog, it totally changed his mood at home. It would sit on the shed roof and swish it’s tail just out of reach from him. 

It didnt last long (it probably lost the territory to another cat) but he was weird for a while.

Happy for all input - in case someone thinks of something I hadn't. She's at daycare today and I've let the woman know about how she's been and told her to text me if she's acting out of character. Not heard anything yet which is a good sign!

• Like 1

On 11/06/2018 at 11:38, Jon the Hat said:

Our GSD Pup is 11 months now, and she has got really reactive at the moment.  We have a one to one training session with a behaviorist on Wednesday to try and sort it out, but she barks and jumps on her lead when she sees dogs she doesn't know.  Fine off lead.  I'm sure we can sort it out, but it is hard work at the moment.

Let’s have some pics ! ...   one of mine is just the same, very highly strung and a bit of a handful...   done as much as we can but she is what she is ...   terrific personality and one of the smartest dogs I’ve seen.  I use a control collar when we go out and that seems to do the trick ...

On 11/06/2018 at 11:38, Jon the Hat said:

Looks worse than it is ... 

B1C8A028-9FD8-43B3-B440-F248685D01F7.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

We got a puppy this morning.  Still haven't figured out a name yet.  

Sikh Dog names are so hard to pick from.

Sikh and ye shall find :thumbup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Ruffinder

Barkpal

Doginder

Runpal

Sitpal

Ya im not cut out to be a sikh dog owner lol

Sitpal made me lol.

Poor thing would be permanently sat on its arse 

• Like 1

On 17/06/2018 at 17:13, Countryfox said:

Looks worse than it is ... 

B1C8A028-9FD8-43B3-B440-F248685D01F7.jpeg

They're not really effective tbh. 

You'd be much better served addressing the root cause of your dog's aggression, anxiety, excitement or whatever else you're trying to correct than trying to adjust it with pain. 

The dog may stop pulling or jumping up because it learns its going to get hurt but you'll still have a dog that's aggressive, defensive, overprotective or anxious and that's still potentially going to come back to bite (potentially literally) you. 

Edited by Finnegan

13 hours ago, Finnegan said:

They're not really effective tbh. 

You'd be much better served addressing the root cause of your dog's aggression, anxiety, excitement or whatever else you're trying to correct than trying to adjust it with pain. 

The dog may stop pulling or jumping up because it learns its going to get hurt but you'll still have a dog that's aggressive, defensive, overprotective or anxious and that's still potentially going to come back to bite (potentially literally) you. 

I've done both.  We have used training to get her into a much better place ...   compared to what she was like she is 100 times better ...   but, when she is out and on a lead and decides to kick off she is a handful ...  Mrs CF can easily be dragged over.  The collar has an impact as soon as it is put on and has an immediate calming effect ....  she knows there is no point in pulling or lurching or barking cus it will be uncomfortable.  This combined with a lot of praise allows us to take her out and avoid potential problem situations. (We had one that was quite nasty).  The collar was given to me by a professional trainer for use on dogs exactly the same as her.  I could go on for ages about this but believe me ...   as part of a suite of different training methods it is very, very useful.