Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

Wasps control insect populations which helps the plants. Wasps are the worlds gardeners. When you see a wasp next make sure you thank him for making the world beautiful.

So do spiders, except spiders won pester me at a BBQ or sting me for walking past

9 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Wasps control insect populations which helps the plants. Wasps are the worlds gardeners. When you see a wasp next make sure you thank him for making the world beautiful.

Wasps are twats mate, I’m not giving them little pricks any credit. They already think they are the bees knees.

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

A bit disingenuous when you eat them...

Circle of life my friend. I do my best to minimise the amount of meat I eat and encourage others to do the same. Meanwhile I try to source the best meat possible from a local butcher and finally respect and be thankful that the animal has given its life by not wasting what has been sacrificed. I’m not perfect but I try to do better.

4 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Mrs CF says wasps are the skinheads of the insect world ....     so next time you see one, make sure you thank him for making the world beautiful ...    but ...     if he tw@ts you in the puss, don’t blame me !   

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2018 at 18:53, nnfox said:

Advice please...

I live a fairly happy life. I have a decent wife, two great kids under 10 and two cats. We all live fairly harmoniously. We have had the cats for a little over a year and they have fitted in a treat. 

The wife and kids are however, applying increasing pressure on me to allow a dog into the family.

For the record, I class myself as an animal lover BUT I have reservations about owning a dog. Something I have never done.

I have a couple of concerns, primarily around being restricted on days out or weekends away and longer holidays with having to always be back to let the dog out or get others to look after it on our behalf.

The other major concern is that it needs walking everyday.  I know that during the summer months, the wife and kids would have no issue with doing it, but at this time of year when it is cold, dark, windy and wet, they won't be so keen and it will be left to me to do. Something I have zero desire to do.

So, what are the benefits and pitfalls to dog ownership?  Should I give in to the rest of the family or stand my ground? 

The type of dog hasn't been mentioned yet but it will likely be a small to medium sized one.

So what happened?  Did you get a dog?

I hope not, dogs require 100% commitment.  If you're unsure, get a goldfish.  Or a picture of a dog.

I love my dogs.  They make me laugh every day and I can never wholly trust anyone that doesn't like dogs.

My dogs never have an off day.  Never grumpy.  Never 'can't be bothered'.  Always up for fun and find joy in the slightest thing.  All of Man's virtues with none of their vices' as Byron said.

It is a well known fact (probably) that dogs are good for the soul and will repay your hard work tenfold.

I walk my dogs about 4 miles a day, sometimes I can't be bothered but you do it anyway.  On the other hand, what's the point of going for a walk without a dog?  I have discovered some of the most beautiful places in the country because of my dogs.  The Lakes, Scotland, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Yorkshire Dales/Moors, Wales, Peak District...  I would never have bothered going to these places if it wasn't for the dogs.

Can't resist posting some pictures of our malamutes.

CaIMG_20171229_103135958.thumb.jpg.cb2f4822dde32c3eceb7aae566826c9a.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

IMG_20171227_151253250_HDR.thumb.jpg.f543644dbcd7bcfee4812b9bc235850c.jpgIMG_20171226_161406712.thumb.jpg.5df67b55adca924738f900e5f6fef144.jpg  IMG_20171203_090423822.thumb.jpg.88adf1adc762becd5743a589a9dc68ae.jpg

Malamutes or incredibly overweight huskies? lol

Wheres your sledge? (that’s a really hilarious and unique thing that have to be said to Husky/malamute owners)

edit- just read your post and seen they are obviously malamutes.

Edited by Costock_Fox

On 06/01/2018 at 18:52, SouthStandUpperTier said:
On 06/01/2018 at 18:40, Samilktray said:
People who like cats more than dogs are weird 

Dogs are thickos though. As Frank Skinner once said, "I can't respect the intelligence of an animal that's surprised by its own farts.".

Oh come on.  Who can say, hand on heart, that they have not been surprised by a fart?

Or worse... been surprised by a fart that wasn't a fart?

..but that's another story.

Edited by murphy

Not huskies, malamutes.  From Alaska not Siberia but otherwise do a similar job but a bit bigger.

I love great Danes too.  Magnificent!  Got a soft spot for the giant breeds.  Newfies etc.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Malamutes or incredibly overweight huskies? lol

Wheres your sledge? (that’s a really hilarious and unique thing that have to be said to Husky/malamute owners)

edit- just read your post and seen they are obviously malamutes.

Ha!

Only every day!

I have genuinely been asked if they are wolves.  I just say yes now.

6 hours ago, murphy said:

So what happened?  Did you get a dog?

I hope not, dogs require 100% commitment.  If you're unsure, get a goldfish.  Or a picture of a dog.

I love my dogs.  They make me laugh every day and I can never wholly trust anyone that doesn't like dogs.

My dogs never have an off day.  Never grumpy.  Never 'can't be bothered'.  Always up for fun and find joy in the slightest thing.  All of Man's virtues with none of their vices' as Byron said.

It is a well known fact (probably) that dogs are good for the soul and will repay your hard work tenfold.

I walk my dogs about 4 miles a day, sometimes I can't be bothered but you do it anyway.  On the other hand, what's the point of going for a walk without a dog?  I have discovered some of the most beautiful places in the country because of my dogs.  The Lakes, Scotland, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Yorkshire Dales/Moors, Wales, Peak District...  I would never have bothered going to these places if it wasn't for the dogs.

Can't resist posting some pictures of our malamutes.

CaIMG_20171229_103135958.thumb.jpg.cb2f4822dde32c3eceb7aae566826c9a.jpg

Well, I am pleased to announce that we did not get a dog and the situation has gone quiet. For now.

Please don't think that I am a dog hater, I'm not.  I just knew they take a lot of looking after and I don't have the time (or inclination) at this point in my life. 

I'm sure the conversation will come up again in the future but for now I have absolutely no regrets about not getting one.

Thanks for all the comments! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Well, I am pleased to announce that we did not get a dog and the situation has gone quiet. For now.

Please don't think that I am a dog hater, I'm not.  I just knew they take a lot of looking after and I don't have the time (or inclination) at this point in my life. 

I'm sure the conversation will come up again in the future but for now I have absolutely no regrets about not getting one.

Thanks for all the comments! 

I don't think you're a dog hater at all.  I think you are someone who is not sure about owning a dog so you've decided not to which is the sensible and correct decision.

Too many people get a dog on a whim and regret it and it is the dog that suffers.

Anyway, good for you for taking the time to think it through and for coming to the right decision.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

My dog has done his cruciate ligament in his hind leg and is in for an operation to hopefully repair it next week. I’m worried sick and absolutely devastated for him. 

Fingers crossed.

I've been there too.  The rehab is hard work but I'm sure he'll make a full recovery.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Fingers crossed.

I've been there too.  The rehab is hard work but I'm sure he'll make a full recovery.

Cheers, I hope so.

He isn’t getting any younger but has never shown any signs of slowing down. He has always been so fit and bouncy and we go running for miles together. To see him incapacitated breaks my heart.