Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

The nannies won’t do dogs, obviously the kitchen staff don’t, the Gardner hates her due to the shit, and the Butler is allergic.  When we get another I might ask the head of household to look at a full time dog carer.

You don't have a driver/valet? I would have thought that would have been the priority over a hound what, what. 

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

If walking's the biggest issue worrying you, it's worth noting that greyhounds and whippets demand very little in the way of excercise and are apparently very happy sitting around pretty much all day.

Me and the missus have a 4 year old labrador bitch (no kids yet) and, although you get used to it, they do require a lot of time. I spend an hour and a half walking/playing with ours every day, and she is not bothered by wind/ice/rain so that is every single day. Food isn't a big expense, but insurance is and it increases every year even without making claims. You also have to factor in kennels/boarding if you're going abroad and don't have family or friends that can look after it (£20+ per night) and if you're unfortunate enough to have one that suffers seperation anxiety, then daycare is about £15-20 per day. I think seperation anxiety is usually caused by owners who usually never leave their dog alone at a young age though and then suddenly start leaving the dog at home when they go back to work, you ease them into time away from you and they're usually ok with it

The benefits are being forced into walking and therefore getting into shape, and the best thing is it's like you've always got a mate round. You don't get a dog's affection from any other animal, you come home and they just can't get enough of you, which never gets old.

Worth also noting that a lot of them (mine included) like to roll in all sorts of shit and filth which is disgusting. Mine once found a rotten fish in the middle of a field, took me a minute to get to her, by which time she was completely covered in oily mush and stank our house out for a week, despite the fact that I bathed her as soon as we got home. Bellend.

Bit harsh, calling her that, just cos she won't give you children.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, the fox said:

yeah, cats are the best! just add another one instead of a dog. cats are as low maintenance as it gets.

and yeah, make sure your wife doesn't read the "decent" remark there lol

You haven't met my pet snail.

3 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

One of mine took a shite on my pillow once, enjoy.

When my dog was a pup he got into the habit of jumping on my bed and pissing on my duvet. Little git, still love him though.

Edited by sm1

To echo what a few have already said:  If you're not willing to walk the poor thing on a daily basis (and it will be you who it falls to once the kids get bored of the novelty) then don't even consider it and just get another cat.

My housemate has a dog and I used to walk it most days simply because it gave me something to do for a good half hour to an hour depending on the route plus I felt bad for the animal because she doesn't get taken out most days and when she does it usually consists of going a minute down the road to a patch of grass to shit on and back. I stopped performing that favour though after the thousandth time of getting home and facing the Spanish inquisition as though she doesn't trust me to look after the dog properly (if she's so concerned I have no idea why she doesn't walk it herself). 

Now the dog just spends all day sleeping on the sofa and occasionally gets let into the garden to add to the growing pile of shit back there and I have to bite my tongue every few weeks when my housemate shows off about treating the dog to a trip to the woods not 5 minutes from us where she used to go every day with me.

The worst thing about it all is that during my time taking the dog out her fitness drastically improved - we're talking about a Saluki, a dog built for running, having even less endurance than the out of shape human that I am for our first week or so of jogging together.  That's got to be almost criminal levels of neglect and I'm sad to say that hard work's probably been undone by now.  So yeah, don't get a dog if you're even mildly unsure you won't end up being even a tenth that kind of dog owner.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

To echo what a few have already said:  If you're not willing to walk the poor thing on a daily basis (and it will be you who it falls to once the kids get bored of the novelty) then don't even consider it and just get another cat.

My housemate has a dog and I used to walk it most days simply because it gave me something to do for a good half hour to an hour depending on the route plus I felt bad for the animal because she doesn't get taken out most days and when she does it usually consists of going a minute down the road to a patch of grass to shit on and back, but I stopped after the thousandth time of getting home and facing the Spanish inquisition as though she doesn't trust me to look after the dog properly (if she's so concerned I have no idea why she doesn't do it herself). 

Now the dog just spends all day sleeping on the sofa and occasionally gets let into the garden to add to the growing pile of shit back there and I have to bite my tongue every few weeks when my housemate shows off about treating the dog to a trip to the woods not 5 minutes from us where she used to go every day with me.

The worst thing about it all is that during my time taking the dog out her fitness drastically improved - we're talking about a Saluki, a dog built for running, having even less endurance than the out of shape human that I am for our first week or so of jogging together.  That's got to be almost criminal levels of neglect and I'm sad to say that hard work's probably been undone by now.  So yeah, don't get a dog if you're even mildly unsure you won't end up being even a tenth that kind of dog owner.

That is so sad. I don't understand why people own dogs when they can't be bothered to take the responsibility.

2 minutes ago, sm1 said:

That is so sad. I don't understand why people own dogs when they can't be bothered to take the responsibility.

It tears me up because I want to do something about it (for a while I did do something about it with the walks) but her owner is one of those increasingly common people who take offence at even the mildest implication that they aren't already doing everything perfectly, which of course makes any conversation about the issue (and many others) impossible.  How do you tell someone like that to completely overhaul their approach to dog ownership?  I can't even point out that Lord of the Rings is more high fantasy than science fiction without awakening the furious hell-fire. lol 

10 hours ago, Bryn said:

I think children can learn a lot from a dog and gain precious memories so I'd give it considerable thought, but if you're not convinced your family can 100% provide for one don't go there.

This is a common phrase given by my wife.

10 hours ago, Benguin said:

Also never get a dog for this reason, there are countless ways to teach kids responsibility.

And this is my usual response!

Thanks for all the responses so far, it reaffirms my position and I feel better about standing my ground. 

I took pleasure in being able to read aloud all of the responses to my wife but that backfired when I got to this one:

10 hours ago, the fox said:

yeah, cats are the best! just add another one instead of a dog. cats are as low maintenance as it gets.

and yeah, make sure your wife doesn't read the "decent" remark there lol

lol

So I also learnt a valuable lesson in proof reading!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Bloody hell! I remember just over a year ago that litter of puppies paid for your Lapland trip?

I guess you're both even now with the cost of replacing that lot lol

She's a pain in the arse! She sneaks things into her bed at night. Then the next day you're hunting for the tv remote and hey presto, there it is - all chewed up in her basket!

did the Egyptians build large statues of dogs? no. 

dogs were used as a tool to hunt and cats were worshipped because they're ****ing awesome, intelligent animals.

dogs are dumb. they need you to clean them, walk them and constantly pander to them.

cats do not give a ****. they wash their own clothes, walk themselves and don't even ****ing like you unless they fancy it at the time. 

give me the aloof '**** you, i'm independent and sort my own shit on my own terms' attitude of a cat any day. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

did the Egyptians build large statues of dogs? no. 

dogs were used as a tool to hunt and cats were worshipped because they're ****ing awesome, intelligent animals.

dogs are dumb. they need you to clean them, walk them and constantly pander to them.

cats do not give a ****. they wash their own clothes, walk themselves and don't even ****ing like you unless they fancy it at the time. 

give me the aloof '**** you, i'm independent and sort my own shit on my own terms' attitude of a cat any day. 

Shall we forget about the dog faces god Anubis then?

• Like 1