Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

Ah man what a stupid question, of course you should get a dog they are hilarious. I got a Minature dachshund called Nigel Pearson in July and he is class. Yeah there is a lot of work involved with a puppy but well worth it. My previous 2 dogs are both rescue dogs and tbh I would recommend getting a rescue dog. Mine were both already house trained so you miss that part out (that’s the worst bit). But the advantage of having a puppy is you can train it from scratch and also know exactly what has happened to it. I have know idea what our rescue dogs were up to prior to me getting them.  

17 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

To echo what a few have already said:  If you're not willing to walk the poor thing on a daily basis (and it will be you who it falls to once the kids get bored of the novelty) then don't even consider it and just get another cat.

My housemate has a dog and I used to walk it most days simply because it gave me something to do for a good half hour to an hour depending on the route plus I felt bad for the animal because she doesn't get taken out most days and when she does it usually consists of going a minute down the road to a patch of grass to shit on and back. I stopped performing that favour though after the thousandth time of getting home and facing the Spanish inquisition as though she doesn't trust me to look after the dog properly (if she's so concerned I have no idea why she doesn't walk it herself). 

Now the dog just spends all day sleeping on the sofa and occasionally gets let into the garden to add to the growing pile of shit back there and I have to bite my tongue every few weeks when my housemate shows off about treating the dog to a trip to the woods not 5 minutes from us where she used to go every day with me.

The worst thing about it all is that during my time taking the dog out her fitness drastically improved - we're talking about a Saluki, a dog built for running, having even less endurance than the out of shape human that I am for our first week or so of jogging together.  That's got to be almost criminal levels of neglect and I'm sad to say that hard work's probably been undone by now.  So yeah, don't get a dog if you're even mildly unsure you won't end up being even a tenth that kind of dog owner.

Sounds like a right nasty cow. Just reading about about such a person makes me hate her. I would seriously start walking the dog again, getting into the arguments and constantly guilt tripping her for the good of the animals welfare. How any one could neglect a beautiful dog like that really angers me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Ah man what a stupid question, of course you should get a dog they are hilarious. I got a Minature dachshund called Nigel Pearson in July and he is class. Yeah there is a lot of work involved with a puppy but well worth it. My previous 2 dogs are both rescue dogs and tbh I would recommend getting a rescue dog. Mine were both already house trained so you miss that part out (that’s the worst bit). But the advantage of having a puppy is you can train it from scratch and also know exactly what has happened to it. I have know idea what our rescue dogs were up to prior to me getting them.  

You’re a good person getting rescue dogs they need homes

2 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Sounds like a right nasty cow. Just reading about about such a person makes me hate her. I would seriously start walking the dog again, getting into the arguments and constantly guilt tripping her for the good of the animals welfare. How any one could neglect a beautiful dog like that really angers me.

I'm not sure nasty's the right term. Ignorant, delusional, lazy, lacking in self-awareness, but there's nothing deliberately malicious about her.

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

You’re a good person getting rescue dogs they need homes

Do they come with one of those miniature brandy barrels around their neck or do you have to buy your own?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm not sure nasty's the right term. Ignorant, delusional, lazy, lacking in self-awareness, but there's nothing deliberately malicious about her.

I don’t believe anyone can be so ignorant to not understand a sighthound requires more exercise than most dogs. I don’t know the personal circumstance of the woman and how she got the dog, maybe she came out of a long term relationship and had to take the dog on or something, but if she willfully bought that breed to live in shared accommodation for nothing more than her own gratification of having that dog when more suitable breeds are available I genuinely question her morals and humanity. Even if I were in the situation I described above I would give the dog up to a home that could look after it.

4 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I don’t believe anyone can be so ignorant to not understand a sighthound requires more exercise than most dogs. I don’t know the personal circumstance of the woman and how she got the dog, maybe she came out of a long term relationship and had to take the dog on or something, but if she willfully bought that breed to live in shared accommodation for nothing more than her own gratification of having that dog when more suitable breeds are available I genuinely question her morals and humanity. Even if I were in the situation I described above I would give the dog up to a home that could look after it.

Yeah she got it as a rescue just over a year ago and makes sure to tell everyone she's a rescue dog so self-gratification is definitely a part of it.  I don't believe for a second though that she really understood the importance of what she was taking on, she just wants to have a dog, her dog, something to mother and fuss over when she gets home and receive unconditional adoration from in return.  As for the exercise, I think she's under the impression that if it's not getting fat it must be getting enough.

Imagine being annoyed at people preferring dogs or cats to the other. My family has both and they're both dickheads but what brilliant dickheads they are. Got a ginger Persian called Claude (had him for 4 years now though so I'm hoping Puel becomes a legend) and Cocker spaniel called Poppy.

My Mother has 3 cats (that include 2 tabby kittens) and a border collie.

At first, the dog used to get very nervous/jealous about them and just ignored them/walked away from when they were in close-proximity to each other.

However, after 7 months of living together in the same area (in/around a barnhouse adjoined to the main house), they're now very close and are able to get along and 'smell around' etc without any fuss.

But have to be careful in ensuring that when I start the engine of my car, that the kittens aren't underneath my vehicle (as they've been seen relaxing underneath vehicles in the area they're based at before and have also been spotted jumping into local tradesmen's car/van boot when they've been left open).

Edited by Wymeswold fox

13 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

My Mother has 3 cats (that include 2 tabby kittens) and a border collie.

At first, the dog used to get very nervous/jealous about them and just ignored them/walked away from when they were in close-proximity to each other.

However, after 7 months of living together in the same area (in/around a barnhouse adjoined to the main house), they're now very close and are able to get along and 'smell around' etc without any fuss.

But have to be careful in ensuring that when I start the engine of my car, that the kittens aren't underneath my vehicle (as they've been seen relaxing underneath vehicles in the area they're based at before and have also been spotted jumping into local tradesmen's car/van boot when they've been left open).

Yeah cats do that, they like to relax in confined areas as it gives them a sense of security from predators hence the cats in boxes phenomenon. I wouldn't worry though because unless the kittens are deaf they'll be instinctively spooked by the loud noise of the engine starting up and run off before you can get it rolling. 

Then again I do recall one hot summer's day as a kid I witnessed my cat wander into the middle of the main road in front of our house to bask on the hot tarmac... had to go pick him up because the sleepy mog wouldn't take a hint from the blaring horn of the driver who was nice enough to come to a halt for his royal highness :D 

• Haha 1