Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Foodbank - Tomorrow

17 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Yes it probably is. I don’t know how you break the cycle, but just giving some of these people everything doesn’t seem to work. The social workers are not signing off the food bank forms for some people now until they get rid of the sky, dogs etc...

Sounds difficult.

It's worth pointing out that, accepting the truth in your 20%, and also accepting it as a representative of the typical, that does leave 80% NOT taking the piss. I think some people, in all societies, & in all circumstances, will behave as selfishly and sociopathically as those higher up the food chain - we just don't demonise the foul behaviour exhibited by a % of the well off, because, as a society, we've been taught to admire wealth, and fear the power that comes with it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

The demonisation of the poor dates back to antiquity. The line usually goes that it's their fault and they chose to be like that. The workhouse was built on the concept and Dickens was its most obvious critic.

Its a hateful, deeply flawed and highly dangerous concept that creates cold, unfeeling systems and it is the cousin of the anti-immigrants/foreigners diatribe that has poisoned public debate recently.

Adherents tend to be bitter people, full of resentment and loathing-preferring to judge rather than understand.

A little more generosity and sympathy makes the world a kinder, happier place.

It's difficult when much of the mainstream media supports/fuels their prejudices.

• Like 3

Come on guys, there are always 2 sides to every story granted! 

The point of this is, there are too many in our community that are genuinely and sadly struggling! Lots of people contributing a little can make a big difference.

Let's show that the Leicester City football family are caring and will help our community!

Total respect to UFS for facilitating  this!

• Like 1

Totally agree Ted Maul. Media like the Mail or Express pander to these base and ugly instincts and help turn the country into a brutal place.

If you want something to blame, blame a system which allows a few to hoard vast wealth. That's why so many live desperate lives.

When I was a child in the 70s there were no food banks and that kind of poverty was rare. Things have improved in many ways, since then, including the football, but on this point we've gone badly wrong.

• Like 3

Why is this just starting now, when this type of matter has been happening in the country for a good while?

Without trying to be ignorant on this or sound like Katie Hopkins, I'd rather donate money for those that are vulnerable who struggle to meet heating bills etc rather than donate food that they can get at a local supermarket that's less expensive to buy than paying the bills etc necessary to live comfortably imo.

Foodbanks just feel like it's just a temporary measure in emergency situations, which this idea isn't really.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

5 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

Where is SK1 if I am say standing in front of and look at foxes store?

Opposite corner of the ground. 

EDIT - that sounded ambiguous. South stand opposite corner. You are at the N.Stand opposing corner. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

I'm with Claridge have to agree and also in the housing association work area .Even this week it was suggested we put in fire suppression systems to a flat when we move in a high risk customer who might set fire to the place .FFS

Working in London recently and the tenants are much better in that they appreciate they have a low rent home in a very high cost area .Different altogether.If you are receiving your entitled benefits then you can afford to eat.

The sky dish comment is often very true.

Yet people will still blame 'foreigners coming over here and taking our jobs'. Direct your anger at the establishment. At the 1%. At the system designed to make a very few people needlessly rich.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in capitalism. Capitalism, while undoubtedly pyramid shaped, incentivises self growth, hard work and ultimately an economy that works. But this? Nobody wins in this exploitative system (Apart from the very few.) All comes down to greed and that pyramid is only getting narrower at the top end.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Claridge said:

Can I just bring an iPhone 8 or a donation to a full package sky. I work for a housing association and most of the people who I know that use a food bank are taking the piss. There are poor people, but they tend to spend their money wisely. Tearing the country apart????. What a load of bollocks

10 hours ago, Claridge said:

Yes it probably is. I don’t know how you break the cycle, but just giving some of these people everything doesn’t seem to work. The social workers are not signing off the food bank forms for some people now until they get rid of the sky, dogs etc...

Your obviously doing alright.. just chuck in a tin of beans ffs.. poor people not allowed a dog nowadays.. it is a cull on the vulnerable in society.. plenty of money for royal weddings..

• Like 3

I work for Aldi and they are always donating things to food banks and charitys. Might be worth phoning Aldi customer services and see if they can tell you who to contact and see if they could help. 

Edit just realised you guys did this today. Keep it mind though for future events 

Edited by jayfox26

22 minutes ago, steveherbe said:

You too mate, thanks for  coming over for a chat. Just got back to sunny Winchester.

Thanks to everyone who donated BTW, or even just came over to say hello, from my point of view made the whole day worthwhile.

5 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Outstanding amount of donations came in. Big up the Leicester public on this.

Great news, glad it's been a success! ?

Sure my mate would have found you with mine, not spoken to him yet!

On 19/01/2018 at 15:38, desertfox2 said:

Well done lads. Gets my back up that as the 5th biggest economy in the world and on this forum we wouldn't be happy at under 80m for Mahrez yet we have food banks. But, well done lads stepping up to the plate where our govt lets us down. 

We maybe the 5th largest economy but that doesn't take into account we are probably the first largest economy of scroungers.

Not dissing what these guys are doing though. Good on them, a few tins wouldn't hurt most of us.