Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
french flair

FFF un topic pour les français fan des foxes, french foxes fans / FFF a topic for french foxes fan, french foxes fans

Guys guys guys, this began as a well intended interface for French fans to have a warm and cosy corner of Foxes talk to spread their love and do their thing and we've resorted to cliche and secondary school flashbacks. Come on show respect and get in the spirit of things. I have genuine questions for our French friends -

1) How is Mendy doing? staying fit? Ball winner or playmaker or both?

2) Do you see Puel as a future national team manager?

3) Is there a plaque outside Mahrez's old house / flat? (I heard that there was a plaque outside his old Dentists but they removed it)

4) Why did no one else spot Kante?

5) Why the f*** is Lemon Citron in French but Lemonade is Limonade? Why is it not Citronade? It bugs me, it annoys me, it keeps me awake at night, it's illogical, it defies all reason.

6) We were taught to learn whether every word should begin with le or la individually and told if we got it wrong you wouldn't have a clue what we were saying. Surely one big p*** take right? The hours we've wasted of our lives.

7) one module of French language at school involved the words for Animals, Furniture and In/ on / behind etc. How common is it useful for anyone to say Le Chimpanzee est sur le table, Le Girafe est derriere le lit, l'elephant est devant la fenetre. Another p*** take surely.

8) If Cantona and Ginola had been included in your World Cup winning side would that be the best side ever (like if Schuster had played with Germanys great side we'll never know).

9) Please send Rudkin the names of the next Kante / Mahrez / Diabate

10) As with Celtic does the lack of serious competition domestically affect the sharpness of PSG to compete for the champions league.

11) Our wine is better than yours - discuss.

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Haha 2

1) How is Mendy doing? staying fit? Ball winner or playmaker or both?

- which Mendy ? Nampalys ?

2) Do you see Puel as a future national team manager?

don't think, for the moment Deschamps do the job, and after him Blanc or Zidane

3) Is there a plaque outside Mahrez's old house / flat? (I heard that there was a plaque outside his old Dentists but they removed it)

-like give him a second chance ? :)

4) Why did no one else spot Kante?

if you measure less than 1.80m you have no chance in France during a time, actually they are changing

5) Why the f*** is Lemon Citron in French but Lemonade is Limonade? Why is it not Citronade? It bugs me, it annoys me, it keeps me awake at night, it's illogical, it defies all reason.

In France, lemonade is a non-carbonated drink, unlike lemon-based lemonade (lime from lime) and not lemon

6) We were taught to learn whether every word should begin with le or la individually and told if we got it wrong you wouldn't have a clue what we were saying. Surely one big p*** take right? The hours we've wasted of our lives.

i worked in a hotel in hertfordshire i reassured you, english did not understand irish, this one either scottish etc... :)

7) one module of French language at school involved the words for Animals, Furniture and In/ on / behind etc. How common is it useful for anyone to say Le Chimpanzee est sur le table, Le Girafe est derriere le lit, l'elephant est devant la fenetre. Another p*** take surely.

8) If Cantona and Ginola had been included in your World Cup winning side would that be the best side ever (like if Schuster had played with Germanys great side we'll never know).

not possible to go for a while with eric the best, ginola who ? :)

9) Please send Rudkin the names of the next Kante / Mahrez / Diabate

french secret (mahrez not french)

10) As with Celtic does the lack of serious competition domestically affect the sharpness of PSG to compete for the champions league.

Quatar SG will easily win the champion's league

11) Our wine is better than yours - discuss.

sure no probleme england do all better

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2018 at 13:14, MC Prussian said:

Many, if not most of them were actually born in France, the former country of oppression, but identify as Algerian.

#ohtheirony

I don't see the irony? You can't choose where you were born, but you can choose your allegiances. Even Benzema admited that playing for France was for a competitive aspect, but Algeria is for the heart. 

Until we stop referring to them as French Algerians rather than French, they will not fully integrate. They are still referred to as "immigrants" (even the 2nd generation immigrants)

Obviously this depends on which region of France, its maybe getting better in the bigger cities, but it definitely still goes on. There is undeniably a sort of modern segregation. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Redouane said:

I don't see the irony? You can't choose where you were born, but you can choose your allegiances. Even Benzema admited that playing for France was for a competitive aspect, but Algeria is for the heart. 

Until we stop referring to them as French Algerians rather than French, they will not fully integrate. They are still referred to as "immigrants" (even the 2nd generation immigrants)

Obviously this depends on which region of France, its maybe getting better in the bigger cities, but it definitely still goes on. There is undeniably a sort of modern segregation. 

Large scale immigration (often from former colonies) is a big challenge for any country, and as we see in Leicester, for any city. The power of football to pull people together has been seen both here, and in France, but some communities are better mixed than others.

I believe France has a different approach to the slightly ragged multi-cultural model we have in the UK, and a significantly larger immigrant community, so the situation is somewhat different, so I hesitate to generalise too much. But... a reasonable level of integration may be hard to see after one generation, but the trend is clear. I've never met a 'second-generation immigrant' (note the contradiction in terms), who has the big language issues that some first-generation arrivals do.

I stage/tour managed a british asian theatre show, and it had some really sharp lines about 'Freshies',(ie fresh off the boat/first generation), and tackled many of the problems that the first generation have keeping their children looking to the 'mother country', rather than the culture of the adopted country. The bottom line is, it might take a couple of generations, but eventually those 'French Algerians' won't feel like they are quite at home in Algeria, even if they don't feel fully integrated in France.

I have an Austrian/Irish parentage, and I have always felt a bit different to the locals in England, at least culturally. But on the good side, Brexit is nowt to do with me, so it can be an advantage to be slightly rootless! lol  If we go the full English Brexit I'm getting an Irish passport, and then it will be me with my schoolboy French coming to you, trying to integrate whether you want me or not, and trying to work out if I need to marry my GF to get her over. Vive la France! :thumbup:

One last thing. I would say that the fact Algeria is so close to France slows down that process of integration, as does the history of bitter violence being so recent. Here in Leicester, those with roots in India and Pakistan have to work hard to maintain links, although flights are now a lot cheaper, and also bitter memories of British occupation have faded. I guess that Algiers, in contrast, has always been a cheap ferry/plane ride away.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:33, french flair said:

In France, lemonade is a non-carbonated drink, unlike lemon-based lemonade (lime from lime) and not lemon

Actually, and I apologize for appearing pedant here, but both "Limonade" and "Citronnade" coexist in France. While both drinks are based on the same ingredients (lemon, sugar and water), the former uses fizzy water while the latter is made with still water.

• Like 1