Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

On 02/05/2021 at 19:08, Wymsey said:

A nice Stowford cider at The Quorn Grange Hotel.

Went their for sunday dinner a couple of weeks ago,she had Lamb and me Beef....but the beef looked like it had a glimpse of the oven!Is this the"posh" way to cook beef?And yes i do like it creamated!

28 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Mrs Para has one of these from 1979. Apparently worth a few quid as a vintage brew. Wait 5 years and you never know.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294159506910?hash=item447d45ddde:g:yo8AAOSwE3tgkZ70

IIRC, hers (from Eldridge Pope) was the original and supposedly best version.  O'Hanlon's took over the brand and then somebody else.

40 years is a few lifetimes for an ale ... maybe you should decide on your own special occasion to drink it?  I'm fervently hoping to halve my stash on Saturday.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KingsX said:

IIRC, hers (from Eldridge Pope) was the original and supposedly best version.  O'Hanlon's took over the brand and then somebody else.

40 years is a few lifetimes for an ale ... maybe you should decide on your own special occasion to drink it?  I'm fervently hoping to halve my stash on Saturday.

Yes it's an Eldridge Pope brew.

I'm not sure she'll let me, whatever the occasion. Maybe I should drink it if we win then claim I broke the bottle as a result of over reacting in celebration. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Great beer. Need to get my hands on some decent German beer.

Adnams have 24 cans of Bitburger on their website for 30 odd quid. I didn’t see those until after, I paid the same price for 12 Paulaner. 

35 minutes ago, Manini said:

Adnams have 24 cans of Bitburger on their website for 30 odd quid. I didn’t see those until after, I paid the same price for 12 Paulaner. 

That is a great deal. Not had Bitburger in ages.

Is Duvel a decent beer? Picked up a few bottles yesterday in a 15 for £8 deal as I'd heard of it but never had it. All I know is its stronger than I normally drink. Gonna try one with the game tonight. Usually just a lager drinker but throw in a few erdingers every now and then and like trying new stuff.

Also got a load of Jupiler alcohol free at 6 cans for a quid, never had the alcohol version but found this to be quite nice and will look out for the real stuff.

5 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Is Duvel a decent beer? Picked up a few bottles yesterday in a 15 for £8 deal as I'd heard of it but never had it. All I know is its stronger than I normally drink. Gonna try one with the game tonight. Usually just a lager drinker but throw in a few erdingers every now and then and like trying new stuff.

Also got a load of Jupiler alcohol free at 6 cans for a quid, never had the alcohol version but found this to be quite nice and will look out for the real stuff.

Even by Belgian standard it's a very strong beer, almost like wine. Sounds a great deal.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 09:34, Unabomber said:

Great beer. Need to get my hands on some decent German beer.

If you watch the Blue Van Man channel on YT, he often has a code to get discount beer online from Beer Hawk - and they have country selections to choose from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Where the flip did you get that? That's an absolute bargain for Duvel.

The last pint I had: Wander Beyond Brewing's Half Moon

Place called Company Shop. Membership only place, proper supermarket in its own right, that sells supermarket and branded stuff really cheap. They have an aisle of booze, plastic boxes full of various cans and bottles and they are all 15 for 8 quid. Can be quite hit and miss but find some great stuff in there. Often a lot of craft beers and stuff, some peronis, found a few called Alhambra Reserva the other day which was very nice. Yesterday I got some of tiger (the lager, not everards), a few becks, a few Duvels,  couple heineken. Topped it off with 2 cans of Tennants 4% as my only other choice was bud light and I wouldn't have that if it were free (they had shitloads of that). Also got a case of 12 modelo for £8. The do a lot of wines and spirits, all cheaper than supermarket prices, but as I don't drink those I don't tend to look at them. If you want alcohol free beer it's great, 6 for a quid, they always have loads and a lot of variety.

Not booze related but its also an incredible shop for veggie stuff. Girlfriends sister is a veggie and we've saved her loads, filled her freezers. 10kg catering bags of quorn fillets for £4, all those branded fake mince/burgers/sausages etc 80p. Again with food it's different every day so you can't really rely on it for normal shopping. I tend to go there first and then elsewhere to finish off. If you can qualify for the free membership I recommend everyone join. 

Just to clarify, I don't work for them!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kopic said:

Yes it is class and you got a ridiculous deal there. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kopic said:

Place called Company Shop. Membership only place, proper supermarket in its own right, that sells supermarket and branded stuff really cheap. They have an aisle of booze, plastic boxes full of various cans and bottles and they are all 15 for 8 quid. Can be quite hit and miss but find some great stuff in there. Often a lot of craft beers and stuff, some peronis, found a few called Alhambra Reserva the other day which was very nice. Yesterday I got some of tiger (the lager, not everards), a few becks, a few Duvels,  couple heineken. Topped it off with 2 cans of Tennants 4% as my only other choice was bud light and I wouldn't have that if it were free (they had shitloads of that). Also got a case of 12 modelo for £8. The do a lot of wines and spirits, all cheaper than supermarket prices, but as I don't drink those I don't tend to look at them. If you want alcohol free beer it's great, 6 for a quid, they always have loads and a lot of variety.

Not booze related but its also an incredible shop for veggie stuff. Girlfriends sister is a veggie and we've saved her loads, filled her freezers. 10kg catering bags of quorn fillets for £4, all those branded fake mince/burgers/sausages etc 80p. Again with food it's different every day so you can't really rely on it for normal shopping. I tend to go there first and then elsewhere to finish off. If you can qualify for the free membership I recommend everyone join. 

Just to clarify, I don't work for them!

The Company shop near the Hinckley Road roundabout? I've been there a few times to get 1000 kitkats for a quid (and similar deals) but always find their booze aisle quite uninspiring.

But you got a ridiculously good deal! I can't believe you got 15 Duvel for £8!! Going to make a note of visiting every now and then solely to scour the booze aisle now, that is unreal.

• 2 weeks later...