Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Old games consoles and their games

I'm downsizing and so need to get rid of stuff that I haven't used in decades. Found boxes with my Spectrum 48, Spectrum 48+, Commodore 64, Sega Mega Drive, Sony Playstation 1 (possibly others) and hundreds of games in the loft. I've carted them through different countries and many house but this is it. My question is are these worth anything? Really won't have the space to store them again and don't see the point. If they are worth anything what do I do with them? Most likely they aren't yet and it'll be down to the dump site with them.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice 

I absolutely loved my old Commodore 64, I had loads of games for it. My mum sold mine( it had just been in their loft for years ). There are definitely people out there that are after old consoles and computers, not sure how much you would get for them though!

Go onto Ebay, do a search, then use the options to look at completed listings only - will give you an idea how much some of these things have gone for. For example, I just did that, and found some guy got £140 for a job lot of 19 mega drive games https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bundle-of-19-Sega-Megadrive-Games-Job-Lot/282895689898?hash=item41dde5a8aa:g:qEMAAOSwUCZas62H

With Retro consoles, the prices for the consoles themselves don't tend to be massive, but with games it can depend entirely on what the game is, and rare ones can go for more than what they originally sold for in the first place! If you've got a copy of Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes on the GameCube for example, people are flogging it on Amazon for £58 at the moment, think I only paid bout 30 quid for it when it first came out.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I'm downsizing and so need to get rid of stuff that I haven't used in decades. Found boxes with my Spectrum 48, Spectrum 48+, Commodore 64, Sega Mega Drive, Sony Playstation 1 (possibly others) and hundreds of games in the loft. I've carted them through different countries and many house but this is it. My question is are these worth anything? Really won't have the space to store them again and don't see the point. If they are worth anything what do I do with them? Most likely they aren't yet and it'll be down to the dump site with them.

http://www.retrogamingcollector.com/Retro-Gaming-Price-Guide.html - console

http://gamevaluenow.com/ - games

:thumbup:

2 hours ago, FIF said:

What games do you have for the mega drive?

Have any Sega Mega 32X games?  What about the add-on itself?

I have Afterburner.  It's worth a fair bit that one.  The 32X can fetch over £100 easily in good nick.

There was a website which will take them in.  Musicmagpie won't take old stuff in, problem is I can't remember the name of the site!  They quoted me £75 for Afterburner alone.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

Please don't just dump them!

You may find you have some rare games that could be worth a fair few quid.

There is definitely a market for retro games. As others have said, you can go on ebay, use the filters to show completed listings and get an idea of what they should be worth. You'd be surprised at the amounts some old games fetch.

If you really can't be bothered to sell them on ebay, you could take them all to a used games shop (check if they pay cash - I think most would give you in-store credit), or donate them to a charity shop. It would be a waste and a shame to just bin them.

On 01/04/2018 at 18:09, Bayfox said:

I'll make a list when I'm back in the loft at the end of the week.

On 01/04/2018 at 22:43, stix said:

I’ll take them off your hands if you’re just gonna bin them!!

I'm in France, if you are too, you can pick them up ;)

On 02/04/2018 at 10:08, stripeyfox said:

Some of them will be worth a few quid - especially rare items

Or I'm sure these guys at Leicester Retro Computer Museum would be interested:

http://www.retrocomputermuseum.co.uk/

If I were in Leicester I'd do that.

On 02/04/2018 at 10:33, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Still got my ZX Spectrum 48k, ZX Spectrum 128k+2, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, PlayStation 1 & 2. All in their original boxes with hundreds of games. I don't really know what they're worth and don't really care, I'll never get rid. It would feel like I'm selling off my childhood.

That's how I feel but over the years you keep so much. It's alright whilst your family is growing and the houses you buy are bigger and bigger but when they've all left home and it's time to downsize that just isn't possible. I'm going to move from an 11 bedroomed house down to maybe a 3 bedroom bungalow. Not the same storage space.

On 02/04/2018 at 13:06, Ozwin said:

What you got on the Mega Drive? 

Will put up a list.

21 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Please don't just dump them!

You may find you have some rare games that could be worth a fair few quid.

There is definitely a market for retro games. As others have said, you can go on ebay, use the filters to show completed listings and get an idea of what they should be worth. You'd be surprised at the amounts some old games fetch.

If you really can't be bothered to sell them on ebay, you could take them all to a used games shop (check if they pay cash - I think most would give you in-store credit), or donate them to a charity shop. It would be a waste and a shame to just bin them.

I would love to give them to a charity shop but the French wouldn't be interested. I guess I could drive the 1000km to Leicester with the car full :unsure:

I've got a few thousand Cds, a few hundred records and perhaps a thousand books too. That's without going into the board games etc... Will keep Risk (1973) and a couple of chess sets, most of the Cds and records - found a couple of Beatles singles I'll put up on ebay. Most of the books I'll donate to the local bookshop as they sell second hand English books to tourists in the summer - complete Tad Williams, Robin Hobb, Stephen Donaldson, Raymond feist, terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, JRR Tolkien (and many more Fantasy writers) works as well as hundreds of Crime fiction novels - if I was in Leicester I'd give the crime fiction to @Webbo though he's probably read most of them.

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

That's how I feel but over the years you keep so much. It's alright whilst your family is growing and the houses you buy are bigger and bigger but when they've all left home and it's time to downsize that just isn't possible. I'm going to move from an 11 bedroomed house down to maybe a 3 bedroom bungalow. Not the same storage space.

Will put up a list.

I would love to give them to a charity shop but the French wouldn't be interested. I guess I could drive the 1000km to Leicester with the car full :unsure:

I've got a few thousand Cds, a few hundred records and perhaps a thousand books too. That's without going into the board games etc... Will keep Risk (1973) and a couple of chess sets, most of the Cds and records - found a couple of Beatles singles I'll put up on ebay. Most of the books I'll donate to the local bookshop as they sell second hand English books to tourists in the summer - complete Tad Williams, Robin Hobb, Stephen Donaldson, Raymond feist, terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, JRR Tolkien (and many more Fantasy writers) works as well as hundreds of Crime fiction novels - if I was in Leicester I'd give the crime fiction to @Webbo though he's probably read most of them.

Probably, I prefer the Kindle now, takes up less room. I'm halfway through my first Jo Nesbo book and enjoying it so far.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Probably, I prefer the Kindle now, takes up less room. I'm halfway through my first Jo Nesbo book and enjoying it so far.

That's the reason I'm letting the books go. I use an electronic format - however my wife prefers print so the crime fiction will continue and I'll be at Melton Mowbray and Quorn car boots in the late spring to re-fill the car with more books.

Just now, FIF said:

Ah, I see. Didn't notice your location.

I'm trying to clear a lot of my things out, as well. I say trying as I've let it go unchecked for too long and now it's a bit overwhelming. Whenever I've done it before, I separate everything into things I do want and don't want first. Then I sort through the things I don't want into 3 categories - sell, charity shop and bin. I work out what's worth selling and stick all that on ebay. From what's left, I'll give anything someone might want to charity shops. Everything else goes in the bin.

With your games, I'd do what JJJS suggested - work out whether any are rare/valuable and sell those separately. Sell the common, low-value games for each console together as a job lot. Some controllers/joysticks/etc. can also be fairly valuable. I'd do the same thing with those.

I don't know if there is a website like Freecycle that caters to your area, but this may be another option. You can give your things away to someone who'd like them, rather than them just going to landfill.

The games for the ZX spectrum and Commodore 64 that are worth money are generally educational games nobody bought at the time

http://www.retrogamescollector.com/rare-zx-spectrum-titles-fetch-a-high-price-on-ebay/

If you have any of those spectrum games you are laughing

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/commodore-64

That's a list of commodore 64 games with updates prices in $, they would probably sell for less in the uk due the fact the games were easier to get here than in the US

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-rarest-and-most-valuable-sega-genesis-megadrive-games

As far as megadrive games go, the 32x and Mega CD games are probably worth the most because it had such a short lifespan

The best way to value your games though, as others have mentioned, is to look at sold listings on ebay, they'll give you a better idea about what people are willing to pay

Edited by MrSpaM

On 01/04/2018 at 18:09, Bayfox said:

On 02/04/2018 at 13:06, Ozwin said:

What you got on the Mega Drive? 

Here's a list of those I've found so far:

Mega drive games:

Game, book, box:

Desert Demolition (Road Runner vs Wile E Coyote)

Streets of Rage 2

Batman returns

Super Hydlide

NHL Hockey 94

Dragon Ball Z

Space Harrier 2

Alien 3

Mega games 1 – super hang on, world cup Italia 90, columns

Ultimate Mortal Kombat

Sonic the Hedgehog

Mega games 3 – Alien storm, super thunder blade, super monaco GP

Cyberball

Teenage mutant hero turtles – the hyperstone heist

Toughman contest (32 meg)

Spiderman

John Madden football 92

Andre Agassi tennis

Game, box – no booklet

Atomic runner

tintin in tibet

fantastic dizzy

game – no box, no booklet

Tazmania

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles – tournament fighters

The simpsons – Bartvs the space mutants

yogi bear cartoon capers

4 hours ago, FIF said:

Here's a list of those I've found so far:

Mega drive games:

Game, book, box:

Desert Demolition (Road Runner vs Wile E Coyote)

Streets of Rage 2

Batman returns

Super Hydlide

NHL Hockey 94

Dragon Ball Z

Space Harrier 2

Alien 3

Mega games 1 – super hang on, world cup Italia 90, columns

Ultimate Mortal Kombat

Sonic the Hedgehog

Mega games 3 – Alien storm, super thunder blade, super monaco GP

Cyberball

Teenage mutant hero turtles – the hyperstone heist

Toughman contest (32 meg)

Spiderman

John Madden football 92

Andre Agassi tennis

Game, box – no booklet

Atomic runner

tintin in tibet

fantastic dizzy

game – no box, no booklet

Tazmania

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles – tournament fighters

The simpsons – Bartvs the space mutants

yogi bear cartoon capers

Loved that game, it was such a special moment when I completed Alien Storm !!!

As advised I put the lot up on ebay just now. I only looked at a couple of the games on ebay but as you said they get some money - checked 2, one recently sold for £9.99 the other £29.99. Having said that I didn't have the energy to check them all out and then place them individually so thrown them on together starting at £80 (free p&p which will cost me £20 through mondial relay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302698068014?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

within an hour I have 3 watching and someone has contacted me offering £100. I guess I'll let it play out and see what happens.

Anyone interested in chess I've put a couple of decent chess sets up too.

On 03/04/2018 at 12:16, FIF said:

Will put up a list.

On 01/04/2018 at 14:55, FIF said:

Keep the game stuff and let it become further extinct and worth more if it’s in good condition 

On 08/04/2018 at 13:49, FIF said:

As advised I put the lot up on ebay just now. I only looked at a couple of the games on ebay but as you said they get some money - checked 2, one recently sold for £9.99 the other £29.99. Having said that I didn't have the energy to check them all out and then place them individually so thrown them on together starting at £80 (free p&p which will cost me £20 through mondial relay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302698068014?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

within an hour I have 3 watching and someone has contacted me offering £100. I guess I'll let it play out and see what happens.

Anyone interested in chess I've put a couple of decent chess sets up too.

I have a beautiful chess set I bought in Skye, folding board and pieces all made from driftwood and it only cost me £30. I love it, but the great shame is I've never played with it cos none of my friends play chess.

On 12/04/2018 at 17:28, FIF said:

Congratulations! About £400? Bet you're glad you didn't bin them.

35 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Congratulations! About £400? Bet you're glad you didn't bin them.

Yeah.

Surprisingly buyers in Portugal, Italy and .....Wales.

The commodore games will sell today.

I'll bin the speccy machine as even though it had a couple of watchers no-one bid.

Overall very satisfying.