Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Do we need to get rid of some "big players" in the dressing room?

For a very long while, we've seemed to always get to a point where we start mentioning our players simply not making any effort for the manager, it was mentioned a few times when Nige was here until the great escape, then Claudio before his sacking, then Shakey, now Puel. Our players seem to play this card every 6 months, which makes me question, do we have too many big egos, are some of the players simply too powerful and dictate the changing room? 

Obviously Puel has made his own mistakes but seeing manager after manager persisting with the same crap over and over whether it be formation or players picked is getting ridiculous. 

So which players do you think could be causing this if it is true? which ones hold the power and which ones have the attitude problem?

Vardy?

Morgan? 

Simpson?

Gray?

Mahrez? 

Kasper?

Those names off the top of my head come across as players that would potentially have either an attitude problem or would be first to kick off if they didnt agree with something a manager wanted to try. 

Maybe it's all just a big conspiracy, but it seems to be a growing trend every 6 months or so. 

Also, I know this goes far beyond the dressing room and goes further up the ladder, but It's the players on the pitch.

You look at the side today - arguably there weren’t enough leaders in that side. Or players that have suffered the pain of rejection or difficult times in a career, to drive them onto success. 

But equally, playing two attacking full backs, with two atttacking wingers, in a 442 that includes an inexperienced central midfielder away from home, to a ground that is normally difficult to travel to when the home side are performing well - it wasn’t sensible was it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the fox said:

Yes, we do! 3 different managers and it's the same old story. i think the lockerroom is toxic and a change must happen.

But all 3 managers lost the plot - the players were right in mind to lose confidence (and therefore as a result performance) in Claudio and Claude. I also felt they gave Shakespear a fair crack.

Mahrez will go. He's an unbelievable talent but he wants to go and it's time. Morgan and Simpson need to be replace and I won't be too bothered if Schmeichel goes. But we'll struggle to stay up without Vardy. We'll struggle enough without Riyad but if both of them go it'll be a long, hard season. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

I'm sure it doesnt help our experienced captain everyone should look up to is also a player everyone knows shouldnt be near the team

Well i can imagine why he came back in the team - because without him, there isn’t a natural leading presence like him. Maguire isn’t quite that player (he may become that player). I think Drinkwater was an important element to the same degree in our midfield, as was Fuchs at left back.

Sometimes picking the best side is not just about ability - mentality and players that compliment each other are also oh so important. 

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 2

Our transfer policy should be to focus on players with Premier League. Forget about trying to unearth the next Mahrez in the French second division or looking at players  in other European leagues. Here's my list of who we should be looking at:

Shaqiri

Shawcross

Allen

Lascelles

Lanzini

Antonio

Creswell

Rondon

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

But all 3 managers lost the plot - the players were right in mind to lose confidence (and therefore as a result performance) in Claudio and Claude. I also felt they gave Shakespear a fair crack.

I'm not sure they "lost the plot" sure they've all made poor decisions, but take claudio as an example. He slightly changed what Pearson had built to massive success, but we knew things needed to change long term because our style of play was being nullified. He tried to change things and the players stopped bothering. Claudio and Claude have both been doing the right thing (albeit probably the wrong way) but the players seem to have too much control. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

In the case of Mahrez, my fear is what'll happen should no one want to go for him in the summer.

Not only has he upset the club, his performances ever since Puel brought him back look ridiculously disappointing for a player of his quality - two goals and one assist in the past nine matches.

I think he should be moved on, as his presence at the club has now become detrimental to our success.

Age-wise, Morgan, Huth, Ulloa, potentially Slimani, but also Jakupovic, Benalouane, Fuchs and Okazaki :unsure: will want/need to leave the club sometimes soon.

Mendy hasn't been the same ever since his bad injury against Arsenal.

James, as much as it hurts, will probably need to move on or even call it quits completely - look at that injury history. He's a permanent sick note, I'm afraid.

In terms of talent, Kapustka has never been able to show his talent for SC Freiburg and lives the life of an expensive bench player.

King could come back and play a role, provided he's rediscovered his old self whilst at Swansea.

Musa does best in Russia, so I can see a return to CSKA on the books.

Can't really understand the criticism of Simpson, as he was forced to play a role under Puel he's not accustomed to and not suited to.

Schmeichel should stay - he's in his prime as a goalkeeper.

Vardy is the club icon and will hopefully end his professional career here. He's a gem and one of the few players coming out of this mess with any credit.

On the whole, our transfer history is - at best - flawed. And it appears as if we've just not learnt our lesson following the league title and just don't know how to handle it and/or how to progress from there organically.

Agree with all but my point was noth the players ON the pitch, but OFF it. 

Vardy and Kasper have been rumoured to have been heavily involved in the fall of Claudio and Shakey, whether it's true or not is something I'm unsure of, but it sure is a hell of a coincidence that every manager has the same problems. 

19 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Well i can imagine why he came back in the team - because without him, there isn’t a natural leading presence like him. Maguire isn’t quite that player (he may become that player). I think Drinkwater was an important element to the same degree in our midfield, as was Fuchs at left back.

Sometimes picking the best side is not just about ability - mentality and players that compliment each other are also oh so important. 

It did wonders  since he came back. Especially today.

Edited by ZeGuy

Breaking it up in one transfer window is asking for trouble, player turnover at that rate will end up seeing us relegated.

I'd say Simpson and Morgan definitely need moving on though- not good enough for the first team any more and by all accounts too influential to be squad players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I'm not sure they "lost the plot" sure they've all made poor decisions, but take claudio as an example. He slightly changed what Pearson had built to massive success, but we knew things needed to change long term because our style of play was being nullified. He tried to change things and the players stopped bothering. Claudio and Claude have both been doing the right thing (albeit probably the wrong way) but the players seem to have too much control. 

No he had lost it - he didn’t know what his best side / formation was after the signings that never were. He also couldn’t solve the big Kante shaped hole.

For me, Claudio had forgotten what had worked so well at the start of that season and that was playing with abandon, energy and risk. The defence came at the right time, around Christmas when that level of energy couldn’t be maintained, but that became the stock answer at the start of the next season and we played deeper and deeper.

Personally I think blaming the players is misguided - 2 out of the 3 appointments were bad appointments, there’s no getting away from that. You work under someone who you know is a crap boss, asking you to do strange things, you will underperform. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

For a very long while, we've seemed to always get to a point where we start mentioning our players simply not making any effort for the manager, it was mentioned a few times when Nige was here until the great escape, then Claudio before his sacking, then Shakey, now Puel. Our players seem to play this card every 6 months, which makes me question, do we have too many big egos, are some of the players simply too powerful and dictate the changing room? 

Obviously Puel has made his own mistakes but seeing manager after manager persisting with the same crap over and over whether it be formation or players picked is getting ridiculous. 

So which players do you think could be causing this if it is true? which ones hold the power and which ones have the attitude problem?

Vardy?

Morgan? 

Simpson?

Gray?

Mahrez? 

Kasper?

Those names off the top of my head come across as players that would potentially have either an attitude problem or would be first to kick off if they didnt agree with something a manager wanted to try. 

Maybe it's all just a big conspiracy, but it seems to be a growing trend every 6 months or so. 

Also, I know this goes far beyond the dressing room and goes further up the ladder, but It's the players on the pitch.

1 hour ago, the fox said:

Yes, we do! 3 different managers and it's the same old story. i think the lockerroom is toxic and a change must happen.

I agree we are living in the past with certain members of this squad. Puel I think was scared to change things when he first arrived and now he is paying the price, he wanted to keep them all sweet by saying he will keep things the same and the team together, but you can't do this with this squad or else they will turn against you as soon as something does not go their way, and this is starting to reflect with all the results, for example Simpson, Fuchs and Morgan being dropped, Albrighton out of position,Gray and Iheanacho in and out of the squad