Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Danny Ward - 12 Million

1 minute ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Only me who doesn't really see a problem with this signing?

Remember the squad Pearson built was based on young hungry players with a point to prove. This lad will be kicking himself he never made the breakthrough at Liverpool.

12M unfortunately is not much in this day and age, for a young goalkeeper like Ward with a decent amount of experience for his age it's what you're expected to pay. 

I'm very happy with the signing, he's a superb shot stopper just a shame he's Welsh.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, fleckneymike said:

I would guess that it is Liverpool leaking the info to make the deal sound good for them (and bad for us). It’s in their interest to do so having just spent so much on Allison. The fee may eventually rise to 12m but I doubt we’re paying half of that upfront. 

That's what I was hoping.

16 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

It's positional mistakes that worry me the most.

He hasn't made that many of them either really, and a lot are open to debate. I think we'll only realise how good he was until he's gone.

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He hasn't made that many of them either really, and a lot are open to debate. I think we'll only realise how good he was until he's gone.

Poor for the second half of last season but for the 6 years before that he's been outstanding - two player of the year awards for a GK shows how good he is.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

You don't know what they would want, £20m is very optimistic for one of the most highly rated young English keepers in the league. They aren't under huge pressure to sell this season.

£25m is the price widely quoted by the media.

He'll be desperate to leave if a decent PL club come calling as he's 25 and his career is on a downward trajectory in the Championship. He'll just need to look at Ben Gibson for that who was ahead of Maguire in the England team and then didn't even end up going to the World Cup as he was the forgotten man at Middlesbrough.

Stoke will be prepared to take a decent offer because the player will pressure them.

2 hours ago, LESTER-JESTER said:

liverpool fans have never seen him play. huddersfield fans have and none of them rated him playing in the league below. 

and liverpool as a club obviously didn’t rate him that highly as he was third choice behind mignolet. 

from the bits ive heard (i’ve genuinely never seen him play, i don’t think) we cannot be signing him as a first choice goalkeeper. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I wonder how much we'd have had to pay for him if he played for Fulham and he'd just got promoted last season from the Championship. I think the fee would still have been around that if they'd even entertain selling him. 

The notion that he was 3rd choice last season, therefore 4th choice now and that Liverpool must be laughing their heads off is wide of the mark. They evidently wanted him to force his way in to being first choice until they've signed Alisson and its taken a large bid to agree to sell. 

You've seen him play in the play offs and play really well and now think that's his level which is why you rate him so highly. It's the equivalent of watching Musa against Barcelona and Iceland and judging him on that.

Read the whole thread of what the Huddersfield fans have to say about him when they seen him play 43 games in the 2016/17 season. Every one of them think he was either a bang average Championship GK and some think he was the weak link of that team. 

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/106786/danny-ward-happy

• Like 1

He's played 2 PL games in 6 years for Liverpool.

He played 43 games for Huddersfield in the 2016/17.

I know whose opinion I would rather listen to out of a Huddersfield season ticket holder or Harry the armchair red from Falmouth. 

22 hours ago, Gerard said:

He's 25 and been at Liverpool for six years "learning" off their various GK's. He won't want to be coming here to "learn" off Kasper. 

I don't know how good he is but he signed for £100,000 from Wrexham six years a go and has made two PL appearances and not managed to force his way into the Liverpool side after finding himself  behind Karius, Mignolet and now Allison. 

Now we're apparently paying £12m for him and if that's the case he'll be coming as first choice, we don't pay that kind of money for GK's to sit on the bench. If he does come here then I only hope someone really knows what they're doing especially when the far higher rated and same age Butland is crying out for a move. 

That is not much money if we believe the guy is a multi-year starter in waiting. Perhaps Kasper goes and he becomes the #1, perhaps we carry him for a year or two until we move on from Kasper, and he (hopefully) continues improving as Kasper's understudy. Many of us said Kasper needed competition last season, he was sloppy at times in a way that indicated he may have grown a bit too comfortable. Now we have that competition, and a Plan B if Kasper goes. 

8 minutes ago, vanity said:

That is not much money if we believe the guy is a multi-year starter in waiting. Perhaps Kasper goes and he becomes the #1, perhaps we carry him for a year or two until we move on from Kasper, and he (hopefully) continues improving as Kasper's understudy. Many of us said Kasper needed competition last season, he was sloppy at times in a way that indicated he may have grown a bit too comfortable. Now we have that competition, and a Plan B if Kasper goes. 

I disagree, it's good money on proven mediocrity, it's also money that we'll never get back further down the line.

Jakupovic is an able No2 with PL experience, I don't see the point in buying another mediocre GK. Ideally for this kind of money I would have no problem buying a teenage prodigy who can play a few cup games and challenge for the No1 spot a couple of years down the line but not a player who Huddersfield fans thought was the weak link in their promotion year.

11 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I disagree, it's good money on proven mediocrity, it's also money that we'll never get back further down the line.

Jakupovic is an able No2 with PL experience, I don't see the point in buying another mediocre GK. Ideally for this kind of money I would have no problem buying a teenage prodigy who can play a few cup games and challenge for the No1 spot a couple of years down the line but not a player who Huddersfield fans thought was the weak link in their promotion year.

Huddersfield fans can't stand Leicester, they were calling us a smaller club the them when we were linked with David Wagner, i've read some comments most wouldn't mind him at Huddersfield but as back up, just like we are doing, the only thing people are laughing about is the cost for a second choice keeper.

6 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Remember the squad Pearson built was based on young hungry players with a point to prove. This lad will be kicking himself he never made the breakthrough at Liverpool.

12M unfortunately is not much in this day and age, for a young goalkeeper like Ward with a decent amount of experience for his age it's what you're expected to pay. 

No not only you I think he’s not a bad backup keeper couple of my scouse mates saying he better than both mignolet and karrius and yes before anyone says it that ain’t hard they say he’s good

17 hours ago, Shane said:

If you’d never seen Schmeichel play and looked on our forum you’d think he was league one standard. 

Four years ago if you looked on Villa’s forum they thought Albrighton wasn’t great. If you looked on Inter’s forum they said Cambiasso was past it.

Two years ago Hannover fans said Zieler could take Kaspers spot. Sporting fans said we’ve got ourselves a bargain in Slimani and he’d complement Vardy perfectly. 

Get where I’m going with this? Opinions on fan forums mean f***kall, we should all know that seeing some of the drivel that gets posted on here daily! 

Have some faith in the scouts and recruitment staff, hopefully the lad Ward turns out good for us.

Exactly some fans on here don’t think Musa is worth £40m! But he is I swear to you he is!! 

(Hoping the Arabian fans are reading this :ph34r:)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

£12m is the new £4m. I like this guy, he could do very well.

• Like 2

Huddersfield fans can't stand Leicester, they were calling us a smaller club the them when we were linked with David Wagner, i've read some comments most wouldn't mind him at Huddersfield but as back up, just like we are doing, the only thing people are laughing about is the cost for a second choice keeper.

So Huddy fans where saying this guy was useless in a thread dated before we went after Wagner. And they slagged him off because they hate us?

Any chance I can borrow the time machine they used. July 2015 here I come. How rich will I be when I return lol lol lol 

• Like 1

Remember having a look at the Huddersfield forum after their play off final win and they were discussing potential signings. Most were dead against making his move permanent as he was generally considered a donkey before his play off heroics.

• Like 1