Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest seanfox778

UEFA Champions League 2018/19

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Put into context, thats basically the KP filled with a bit extra of Liverpool and spurs fans, with another KP  being filled with non-supporters

That would only cater for two thirds of our season ticket holders.

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Care to expand on that?

Only 16k tickets each.  The rest of the stadium for corporates and neutrals. 

A few of the tickets are just about affordable, but the good ones are over 500 notes. 

Given Liverpool's past behaviour as away fans, and their propensity to travel without tickets, its a recipe for disaster. 

2 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

A few of the tickets are just about affordable, but the good ones are over 500 notes. 

Given Liverpool's past behaviour as away fans, and their propensity to travel without tickets, its a recipe for disaster. 

Liverpool fans will be alright, they're the masters of turnstyle crashing.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I will sound like a deluded, miserable git here but I feel a little odd about the hysteria of the last two evenings. This over-riding feeling from pundits and other fans of 'its football we love it'. 

Firstly, I can't understand any regular match attending Premier League supporter getting all gooey over these comebacks. Both clubs have awful fanbases who consistently belittle any club who dares challenge them. For years at schools, have to contend with Liverpool fans and their cliched sayings. This gets completed repeated by the media as though its fact. Then throw in Spurs. One of the grounds where I have had opposition fans attempt to intimidate me, they went around belting women at Wembley, exude a huge complex despite generally being middle of the road all the way through my lifetime. 

So okay it's low of me to dislike both clubs because of their fans but those feats pulled off over the past two nights have been incredible showings of skill. 

But then this gets me too. The media et al including football fans have labelled this as the type of events which only occur in the Champions League. 'European nights', 'classic clubs', rah rah rah. If you love football, it's not restricted to occurring in the Champions League. Those events from last night will have occurred up and down the footballing pyramid. There was a non league game on Monday which went 2-0, 2-2, 3-2 with two missed penalties and a sending off. If people love football, get out and watch your local team regardless of level. Try to pre-determine this has something which is exclusive to Champions League, exclusively to TV coverage, exclusive to someone the majority of us can't watch is dangerous. So it's not 'football what a sport' the majority of this sheep like, it's 'top level, glamorous, big name football' 

The CL is a monster. Last night's result was a hammer blow for the 'European nights', 'classic clubs'. From 2024, the Champions League will take another format change which is likely to see even further dominance by the big leagues. We needed Ajax to win it and give some credit that the CL should be more open. 

Rant and waffling over 

Sorry but the Champions League is the pinnacle of European Football and the last 2 nights were incredible drama. I’d much rather watch that than Barnsley’s late comeback against Doncaster or such like.

Saw for myself just how special the CL was at our home games and I d do anything to get it back.

And the fact that Spurs have got there is pretty incredible, wouldn’t you say? Ajax have been a breath of fresh air but Spurs are complete rank outsiders. This year’s CL has been great 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Well the Champions League long since removed the requirement to win a domestic title in order to participate so it is what it is.

Regards the venue, the stadiums are selected a long time in advance and they're not going to change it because it is inconvenient for the participating teams.

Exactly. Although never going to happen, it's now possible to participate in the Champions League whilst being in any of the 4 divisions. Domestic Cup win > Europa League win > Champions League qualification. Wonder if they'd 'find' a rule that meant they couldn't enter. 

33 minutes ago, Goober said:

Sorry but the Champions League is the pinnacle of European Football and the last 2 nights were incredible drama. I’d much rather watch that than Barnsley’s late comeback against Doncaster or such like.

Saw for myself just how special the CL was at our home games and I d do anything to get it back.

And the fact that Spurs have got there is pretty incredible, wouldn’t you say? Ajax have been a breath of fresh air but Spurs are complete rank outsiders. This year’s CL has been great 

But those comebacks and drama happen in any game. It’s not restricted to the Champions League. We as an audience have this collective view that because it’s a certain competition it makes it all better. In the last week I’ve watched two non league playoff games combine 13 goals and it was every bit dramatic than the previous two evenings. 

Lets paint it another way was our comeback against Aston Villa 3-2 anymore dramatic ? 

The biggest achievement for me in football this year is Sol Campbell going to a job completely out of his depth, seven points behind the relegation line with a set of players who get paid irregular and managing to stay up. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

But those comebacks and drama happen in any game. It’s not restricted to the Champions League. We as an audience have this collective view that because it’s a certain competition it makes it all better. In the last week I’ve watched two non league playoff games combine 13 goals and it was every bit dramatic than the previous two evenings. 

Lets paint it another way was our comeback against Aston Villa 3-2 anymore dramatic ? 

The biggest achievement for me in football this year is Sol Campbell going to a job completely out of his depth, seven points behind the relegation line with a set of players who get paid irregular and managing to stay up. 

Every true football fan worldwide is buzzing about this

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Every true football fan worldwide is buzzing about this

This is my argument summed up really - if last couple of games have people preaching  about football as a sport, why are we not supporting it where it matters rather than feeding a greedy machine. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

This is my argument summed up really - if last couple of games have people preaching  about football as a sport, why are we not supporting it where it matters rather than feeding a greedy machine. 

Because it's about winning the biggest prize at the very top end of the sport ain't it. It's why winning the Prem was better than winning the Championship. Football is still football at any level but the very top end of the sport will always be more interesting as a neutral.

42 minutes ago, Goober said:

Because it's about winning the biggest prize at the very top end of the sport ain't it. It's why winning the Prem was better than winning the Championship. Football is still football at any level but the very top end of the sport will always be more interesting as a neutral.

Respectfully disagree. Plenty of examples where sport isn’t all about the top end. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

I agree with @Cardiff_Fox. Of course the last two nights have been incredible, of course the World Cup last year was incredible etc. The point is that Football can throw up these amazing moments of drama from the elite level to the under 14's game at your local park. It's why we all love the game. I'm guessing that most people on here didn't first fall in love with Football when Leicester won the Premier League. I fell in love with it watching us beat Wimbledon in Division One in early 2003. Not so glamorous.  

• Like 1

Yes I have to agree with this somewhat. For the last couple of years I've been in Majorca over Easter and they have the Santa Ponsa cup, it's basically mostly Spanish clubs under 10's and under 12's. This year Manchester City took their under 12's, and it was fabulous. 

It was pretty emotional when they beat Sevilla in the quarter finals and made it to the semis. I was gutted when they got knocked out by Villareal! 

It's the sport that gets you, not the occasion. 

22 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I agree with @Cardiff_Fox. Of course the last two nights have been incredible, of course the World Cup last year was incredible etc. The point is that Football can throw up these amazing moments of drama from the elite level to the under 14's game at your local park. It's why we all love the game. I'm guessing that most people on here didn't first fall in love with Football when Leicester won the Premier League. I fell in love with it watching us beat Wimbledon in Division One in early 2003. Not so glamorous.  

well yeah, but then imagine these amazing moments in literally the biggest games of your lives. not really sure what the argument is here, quite obviously it’s more exciting for a team to score 3 goals in the second half, including one in the 96th minute to get to the final of the biggest club competition in the word than it is for someone in the national league north to comeback from 3-0 down in an end of season dead rubber. 

you think it was amazing and you fell in love with both leicester and football because we beat wimbledon, but you enjoyed us beating sevilla more, no? you enjoyed us winning the league cup or a knockout game in the champions league more than you did us beating hartlepool in the LDV vans trophy? 

unless im massively missing the point here. 

Was having a think on the way into work. Say the final PL table finished: 

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

And Arsenal then won the Europa league. 

Given winning the Europa league gets you qualification to next year's Champions League, would our 4th League qualification spot be re-assigned to the Europa winners? What I'm trying to say is, is there a chance of Spurs not getting CL football next year if they finish 4th and Arsenal win the Europa? 

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Was having a think on the way into work. Say the final PL table finished: 

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

And Arsenal then won the Europa league. 

Given winning the Europa league gets you qualification to next year's Champions League, would our 4th League qualification spot be re-assigned to the Europa winners? What I'm trying to say is, is there a chance of Spurs not getting CL football next year if they finish 4th and Arsenal win the Europa? 

You are allowed five teams in the CL. 

There would have been a problem if the following occurred:-

Man City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Manchester United

Arsenal - win EL

Spurs - win CL 

19 hours ago, Vacamion said:

This is no surprise though is it. each club get a quarter of the tickets, half are allocated to sponsors etc etc.

The FA Cup final allocates just under a third to each club and the rest is sponsors, corporate etc.

The Europa League one I must agree is ridiculous, about 10% to each club. Then again, Baku is miles away and they were probably expecting two boring clubs to get there who can't sell 10k tickets easily.

19 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I kind of see what you're saying

But if you think you'd be on this train of thought if Leicester had just done what Liverpool have just done......

Recent UEFA competition results, with the clubs’ rankings in the latest Deloitte Money League:

624777424_UEFAmoney.JPG.5a777c4a58eb897de613d1bea995a85b.JPG

An comprehensive triumph for England, and not half bad for Money.

Edited by KingsX

I wonder how many of us here remember that Man City, having beaten us in the 1969 FA Cup Final, qualified for the now defunct European Cup Winners' Cup. They won the Cup in Vienna in 1970 against Polish club Gornik Z, in front of a crowd of less than 8000. It's their only European trophy to date. I for one won't be backing Man City in next season's Champions League. Btw, shouldn't the word Champions have an apostrophe after the s?