Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Tactics Thread

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think Carragher and Gerrard have a lot of respect for Rodgers having played under him and getting so close to the title. Ultimately you could even say it was the Liverpool players who let Rodgers down to give up the title although there is also an argument to say Mourinho got the better of the tactical battle when Gerrard slipped. 

But a great video to watch and I hope they do more of them!

I believe Carragher played in Rodgers first season and before 13/14.

The Liverpool squad was thread bare as Rodgers assignment when he came in was to dump wages and build with youth.

I'll spare you my essay in my defence of Rodgers and the BS accusations from the media from when he first arrived:mad:.

4 years of resentment off my shoulders :).......Kind of.

Gerrard would probably punch me out if I said this to his face.........

Thank God it was him who slipped. There's not a stronger man in that club who could have withstood the fan angst and bullshit from that.

And lets face it its not like the losses the rest of the year as well as the draw to Crystal Palace didn't effect the outcome,

It takes 38 matches to win the League. Not just a few moments.

Edited by SO1

On 19/11/2019 at 15:47, Stadt said:

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned too often (if it all) is that our 4141/433 is quite unorthodox in the sense that our striker plays so high and doesn't get involved in the build up. 88917377_Screenshot2019-11-19at15.thumb.jpg.c3ceb26d1d29246779b4c634d7c764bc.jpg

Usually in a 433 the striker drops deep in a situation like this but because of Vardy's positioning (and his pace) teams drop deeper to avoid the ball over the top. Subsequently though, it creates a huge amount of space in the midfield and that's where our most dangerous ball players are, Maddison and Tielemans with that amount of space are lethal because they've both got the ability to find a pass or score from distance. The wingers stay wide during our build up play too and that drags the opposition back line wider as well as deep, helping to create even more space. In that screenshot above, Maddison plays a round the corner pass that carves open their midfield. Ndidi overruns it but we counter-press immediately to win the ball back because they hoof it clear. I think the difference here compared to Puel for example is that Ndidi is much more adventurous with his positioning and we have more players ahead of the ball which creates problems as its harder to press the ball.

If we play a conventional 433 where the striker does drop, not only does it not play to our most important player's strengths it'd mean Arsenal push up there, prevent the space and we play a bit deeper to draw them out - we work so well as unit because our centre backs are competent on the ball; if it goes backwards it's being moved forwards relatively quickly again and our fullbacks are capable of causing problems too so we're a difficult side to press aggressively against because usually teams allow fullbacks to progress more easily. In short we're dangerous from front to back and its f ucking ace.

Hmmm.

This has been the only disappointing thing for me about Youri (esp. after seeing his pre-joining YouTube clips). His shooting from outside the area has been pants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

Hmmm.

This has been the only disappointing thing for me about Youri (esp. after seeing his pre-joining YouTube clips). His shooting from outside the area has been pants.

His goalscoring record prior to joining us wasn’t that great, if scoring fewer long rangers is the trade off for more goals overall, we’ll take that.

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think Carragher and Gerrard have a lot of respect for Rodgers having played under him and getting so close to the title. Ultimately you could even say it was the Liverpool players who let Rodgers down to give up the title although there is also an argument to say Mourinho got the better of the tactical battle when Gerrard slipped. 

But a great video to watch and I hope they do more of them!

Rodgers definitely over achieved with that group of players. Carra and Gerrard probably understand that better than anyone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cstrafe said:

Rodgers definitely over achieved with that group of players. Carra and Gerrard probably understand that better than anyone.

That's the amazing thing about this club. How much talent there is at every position on the field.

Granted depth is needed badly if we're going to compete in Europe, the cups and the League.

If only we had an in form Daniel Sturridge:scarf:   I'm going to think it but I'm not going to say it.

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Pretty accurate. We are more technical than Liverpool, but run a higher press than Man City.

A bit of a rehash of stuff that's already been posted by Statman Dave and the like. We've been saying for months that we're a blend of Liverpool and Man City with our passing and pressing. Still... It's always nice to get videos explaining systems and tactics for non Leicester fans or those that don't get to watch us play. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
13 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Thank you for sharing! That's a superb article, one of the best I've read about Leicester in quite a while. Offensively there isn't that much we don't already know, although the passing triangle example was nice. Their defensive analysis is very good though, I like the examples they've given of our compact shape and high line. I also think they have a great stat in that article too:

When we compare Leicester’s front three to others in the league, it is clear to see how impressive their goal record is. It is also vital to see how they fair off against some of the league’s best attacking talent. Liverpool’s front three, Sadio Mané, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino have the same amount of goals in the Premier League with 32. Liverpool’s front three are often regarded as the best in the world, so to have this record highlights how impressive Leicester’s front three is. A Manchester City front three of Sergio Agüero, Raheem Sterling, and Bernardo Silva also has 32, which is identical to Leicester. It is hard to quantify what Manchester City’s best front three is, as they often change and rotate, however, it highlights that Leicester’s attacking numbers are right up there with the best in the country.

That is genuinely phenomenal when you consider our front three cost 31m between them, 30 of which was spent on one player! And Barnes IMO should easily be at 10 goals this season or even more as he's missed a number of gilt-edged opportunities.

I'm a huge fan of Brendan Rodgers and articles like this just help cement that thinking even further. We have virtually the same squad as last season, minus Harry Maguire and plus Perez, Praet and Justin. And yet under Puel we finished 9th twice in a row, whereas currently we are 3rd. Phenomenal job.

• Like 4

Good article, highlights how balanced our side actually is. So much more balanced than the 15/16 season relying pretty much solely on Vardy and Mahrez. Our goal contributions in all comps this season is pretty even across all our attacking players. 

Vardy - 25

Perez - 12

Barnes - 14

Maddison - 12

Tielemans - 12

Iheanacho - 12 

Even the likes of Ricardo, Chilwell and Ndidi have chipped in with a few. And best of all most of those are under 23!! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

Good article, highlights how balanced our side actually is. So much more balanced than the 15/16 season relying pretty much solely on Vardy and Mahrez. Our goal contributions in all comps this season is pretty even across all our attacking players. 

Vardy - 25

Perez - 12

Barnes - 14

Maddison - 12

Tielemans - 12

Iheanacho - 12 

Even the likes of Ricardo, Chilwell and Ndidi have chipped in with a few. And best of all most of those are under 23!! 

Yeah scarily everyone other than Vardy could easily improve their numbers as they get older and more experienced.

As for JV... well we know how good he is, but those numbers are absurd. There won't ever be another one like him that plays for our club. But I feel this shows that even when he's gone the difference can be made up through a team effort.

I enjoyed that article, however i did find the highlighted part of the following quote not quite right. 

'Evans and Söyüncü are not blessed with pace, however, their reading of the game and understanding of the play itself makes them essential in any Leicester lineup.'

Whenever i've watched Cags he always seem super quick for a defender, especially for such a solid built guy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I enjoyed that article, however i did find the highlighted part of the following quote not quite right. 

'Evans and Söyüncü are not blessed with pace, however, their reading of the game and understanding of the play itself makes them essential in any Leicester lineup.'

Whenever i've watched Cags he always seem super quick for a defender, especially for such a solid built guy. 

Yes I agree, Cags is rapid. More than once he's sprinted across a large distance and put in a heroic tackle to save the day.

For me one of the best moments of the season will also be in the last minute against Spurs when he won the ball back, then beat two men and went on a Ryan Giggs run down the left wing lol! What an absolute legend.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yes I agree, Cags is rapid. More than once he's sprinted across a large distance and put in a heroic tackle to save the day.

For me one of the best moments of the season will also be in the last minute against Spurs when he won the ball back, then beat two men and went on a Ryan Giggs run down the left wing lol! What an absolute legend.

He was this close to beating the last man as well. What a glorious charge towards the goal that would have been...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

That was just a great game in general. Feel a bit for them with regards to their disallowed goal, but we carved out so many chances that I think they can't complain too much. Barnes was so good in the first 20 minutes or so as well.

Yeah I was at this game and really enjoyed it. Excellent game to watch, high technical quality from both sides. Kane's goal to be fair to him was amazing ingenuity. Great atmosphere too!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah I was at this game and really enjoyed it. Excellent game to watch, high technical quality from both sides. Kane's goal to be fair to him was amazing ingenuity. Great atmosphere too!

Kane's goal was something special alright. It's a shame he's always injured, because when he gets going he is comfortably the best striker in the league imo, considering that Aguero has aged a bit.

• 4 months later...

DealWithIt.gif.78de50d84034f03b67b320ec6401346e.gif

Let's resurrect this thread shall we!?

Very unusual game tonight, I will look more into it during the week. We were really passive and started with a 3411, Barnes up top and Maddison behind him, in a replica of the tactics we tried against Man City.

Second half for the first ten minutes Maddison played as a false 9 in a 3421 formation, which allowed Barnes and Praet to run past him to make chances for Leicester. Praet should have done better in playing in Maddison and Madders was starting to get chances. At this point Arsenal went full on Puel-ball and were just passing it sideways and we grew into the game.

Ultimately it was going back to 4141 with Vardy and Under coming on that change the game, but this was a classic "contain the opposition for 60 then shithouse a goal" tactics and they worked! That's 6 points out of 6 away to Man City and Arsenal, and our first win against Arsenal in the Premier League.

Just please don't try these tactics at home to midtable / lower teams at home in the Premier League Brendan! It will be interesting to see what we do against Leeds because they get into the opposition's face but leave a LOT of room in behind. So that could easily be another counter attack setup.

Overall though Brendan deserves a lot of credit!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1