Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Tactics Thread

My tactics...all players inside the whitewash,no matter what formation,strive forward keeping on the frontfoot,even when defending is needed.

Don't ponce around...if in doubt attack or feed the ball to teammate in a better position.If off the ball offer yourself up to support teammate on

Ball,both beware of space,and pressing and closing move of the oppo.....not forgetting at all times to communicate with team-members...

Occasionally laughing with ref...Then next telling him where he can find a local spec-savours

Then put that  round pesky evasive kicking thingy in the back of the net,you suppose to be attacking.....simples:P

4 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

So much talk about formations and tactics by the fans these days.

You can break it all down to attack as a unit and defend as a unit. It's a simple game.

Very true, up to a point. A good manager still has to select the right formation and tactics that suit the players at his disposal.

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Brian Clough was one of the best managers ever seen on these shores, but he got found out later in his career. When Forest were European champions he used to take the team out on the piss the night before a game so the players enjoyed their European tours immensely and it produced results on the pitch. But the game has advanced way beyond that now. He got relegated in final season at Forest and while there are many contributing factors to that happening, I'd argue Clough's inability to move with the times was one of them. He still goes down probably after Sir Alex as the second best manager in the country though.

You have a point for sure, but the amount of times you hear people at the game complaining about things that are intended shows there is a lack of understanding among many. I get it - we can sit here and play pretend football manager all we want to no effect. But at the same time the tactics we played in 15/16 had a HUGE effect on how we did that season. Ranieri found a system that played to the strengths of most of our team, e.g. exploiting pace on the break and forcing other teams wide to cross it in so Huth and Morgan could clear it all day long. Had we tried to play Tiki-Taka football with that squad, it wouldn't have worked out so well!

Definitely not a topic for everyone, but I think it's a worthwhile discussion.

I think Cloughie was a bit of a bully actually. There's no way he'd get away with treating today's pampered, millionaire prima donnas like that :D

Definitely a worthwhile discussion but not one for a simplistic dinosaur like me. Maybe if I played Football Manager I might have something to contribute, but I don't so I'll leave it to the experts :thumbup:

Edited by Izzy Muzzett
  • Haha 1

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think Cloughie was a bit of a bully actually. There's no way he'd get away with treating today's pampered, millionaire prima donnas like that :D

I have to say it would be hilarious to see Clough deal with someone like Pogba or Dele Alli. They wouldn't know what hit em!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

the amount of times you hear people at the game complaining about things that are intended 

I’m sure I’ve been guilty of this before but this is so true.

We’re going to have to get used to our defenders being absent from defending the back post because they’ve been caught up the pitch. It would never happen with Simpson on the pitch but then again Simpson never got 2 assists in 2 games (I’d be surprised if he managed 2 assists in a season).

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I have to say it would be hilarious to see Clough deal with someone like Pogba or Dele Alli. They wouldn't know what hit em!

Literally lol

• Haha 1

Just now, ttfn said:

We’re going to have to get used to our defenders being absent from defending the back post because they’ve been caught up the pitch. It would never happen with Simpson on the pitch but then again Simpson never got 2 assists in 2 games (I’d be surprised if he managed 2 assists in a season).

It's a totally different way of playing compared to what we are used to. Maybe it's for the better, maybe it's for the worse. E.g. I think Belgium played the most attractive football at the World Cup, but France went home winning it! It will be interesting to see how our team copes with situations like this because other coaches will look to exploit the weaknesses in our play and as good as Ricardo looks to be, if you *know* he's going to bomb on all the time, you can look for the long diagonal in behind him as a way to pose us problems.

13 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

So it's as boring to read as it is to watch. Thanks for explaining tedium.

It's not for everyone!

I worked on a football video game, so we had the very real problem of making the players on the pitch stand in believable places and do things you'd expect them to do in real life. So the best way we thought to get that right would be talk to real coaches, who would draw diagrams showing us where every player on the pitch would be depending on where the ball was. Whilst it was really full on and quite dull, it did also make me massively respect coaches for drilling this into players because I don't think we as fans appreciate the day-to-day training that goes into making sure that positioning is correct. When I play football (to an admittedly poor standard) it really made me realise how I was standing in completely the wrong position for most of my life as a central midfielder and how just understanding where to stand at what times makes such a huge difference.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's a totally different way of playing compared to what we are used to. Maybe it's for the better, maybe it's for the worse. E.g. I think Belgium played the most attractive football at the World Cup, but France went home winning it! It will be interesting to see how our team copes with situations like this because other coaches will look to exploit the weaknesses in our play and as good as Ricardo looks to be, if you *know* he's going to bomb on all the time, you can look for the long diagonal in behind him as a way to pose us problems.

It's not for everyone!

I worked on a football video game, so we had the very real problem of making the players on the pitch stand in believable places and do things you'd expect them to do in real life. So the best way we thought to get that right would be talk to real coaches, who would draw diagrams showing us where every player on the pitch would be depending on where the ball was. Whilst it was really full on and quite dull, it did also make me massively respect coaches for drilling this into players because I don't think we as fans appreciate the day-to-day training that goes into making sure that positioning is correct. When I play football (to an admittedly poor standard) it really made me realise how I was standing in completely the wrong position for most of my life as a central midfielder and how just understanding where to stand at what times makes such a huge difference.

They are professional players playing at the very top in football they shouldn't need telling where to stand. This system explained simply. pass side to side then back then forward only a few feet than side to side and back again. Slowly build up while the opposition gets back in numbers and read every pass you make. Then when you do get the ball in their area make sure you only have one striker who is isolated and easily closed down. Against Wolves we had an own goal and a deflected goal from a midfielder and our goal post on three occasions to get us the points. Plus how many other teams in the Prem play this system?

Edited by Bunyip

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

So it's as boring to read as it is to watch. Thanks for explaining tedium.

Like it says in the original post.  Not everyone's cup of tea.

There are plenty of other threads where you can have a bun fight with someone or slag Wes off or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

He got two against Stoke at home in 16/17 haha, although one was a square ball to Ndidi thirty yards from goal and then he twatted it from there so it hardly counts. It boils down to risk against reward and it's inherently riskier playing more offensively minded full backs, we might concede more goals but given sides are more inclined to sit deep against us, especially at home, the trade off is worth it if offers us more in attack.

4 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Can't stand the system myself. All systems have strengths and weaknesses but full backs are isolated 1v1 too often my my liking and one up front is so bloody boring. Acquired taste I suppose. 

this is my concern too, why not just push that touch further, maddison as a front two turning it into a 442

• Like 1

I remember an interview with Ranieri where he said that when he arrived at the club he didn't implement his own tactics, instead he told the players they'd been playing well under their previous system and just to carry on doing what they'd been doing.

Similarly, I remember an interview with Sam Allardice where he said when he goes into a failing club he gets the players into his office individually, tells them what their strengths are and tells them to do exactly that.

Sometimes you need to allow players the freedom to do what they do best.

Edited by foxinyourbox