Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Maddison named in England squad

13 hours ago, Bert said:

Yet you’re the only person that’s mentioned it :whistle: 

Must be I'm the only one who cares - the others just hope you get arrested. :)

5 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Bench again :thumbdown:

How Barkley gets another shot is beyond me.. About as good as Jack wilshere.

Also could be great if we had a talented deep lying midfielder instead of Dier who i think is one of the most overated english players out there.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 3

Just now, Babylon said:

Really not sure what the point is of not actually trying the kids.

The whole team is the pits lets be honest. We've got one player that stands a chance of getting in a top level international team. Southgate isn't a good manager either, the football we've been playing for some time is awful.

Yeah, Southgate almost became worthwhile when he found a system that gave us a chance of getting results. He sort of maximised our limited ability and built a bit of that togetherness and fighting spirit you see in smaller nations who get to the latter stages of tournaments due to graft.

This system with Dier and Henderson is just horrifying. Maguire isn’t good enough in a back 4 either and he’s got less chance to get on the ball and take it forward as he does in a three. 

Sancho looks ok the absolute business and both Maddison and Mount would be fearless at least in the short term. These Nations games have made Southgate even more conservative in changing things up, he might as well just pick 16-18 players. Bored of him. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, Southgate almost became worthwhile when he found a system that gave us a chance of getting results. He sort of maximised our limited ability and built a bit of that togetherness and fighting spirit you see in smaller nations who get to the latter stages of tournaments due to graft.

This system with Dier and Henderson is just horrifying. Maguire isn’t good enough in a back 4 either and he’s got less chance to get on the ball and take it forward as he does in a three. 

Sancho looks ok the absolute business and both Maddison and Mount would be fearless at least in the short term. These Nations games have made Southgate even more conservative in changing things up, he might as well just pick 16-18 players. Bored of him. 

Yes I was for giving Southgate some leeway....but his tenure is returning to 'old hat's English mentality....

For this new competition...

Pickford,..he's my no1, but we  should be bedding in a 2nd even a 3rd gk.

Defence:    .I really don't mind...spoilt for choice!!

Midfield...Catastrophy....keeping to Dier and Henderson......selections,coming from same clubs.

or not throwing new kids on the block in,once selected for 2nd-4th time...Deli is too lightweight,his potential is waning..

Forwards...Give Us and Kane a break...Sterling...let him sweat it out from the bench,he really is becoming a waste of time.

Plus he's playing in the wrong position now for 4-5 games..(the experiment was worth a shot...it didn't work!!)..

In this competition,unlike Spain and a few others,we haven't really gone for new or youth.

Southgate threatens to be dynamic....then it falls into...the notorious seen it all before boring path of selection..

But He just might stumble into a team,some players are lacklustre...then drop them!!! before they get injured.

Southgate should still see through the next 2real competitions,if only because he at least is tempted to go for youth.

If time can cure him of Deir,Henderson and  Sterling has automatic choices....and return Sterling to the wings,or not at all,then

Progress just might be made...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

100% agreement with that first half.

I think we need to also realise that Kane maybe a world class striker - at least this is what I keep reading - but he is not the striker for the system thatEngland are using. He is too slow, he cannot close down opposition defenders and doesn't have the speed to get into the bow when our fast men break. His only hope of scoring for England is from the penalty spot - which is why he was the WC top scorer - or from a set piece, where we have several possible scorers.

With regards the young guys, I'm not sure how anyone can claim that Sancho is the business, I can't believe any of us have seen enough of him. Maddison has looked worth trying out though and these glorified friendlies are the best chance to see if both/either of them (and any others) can take the big step up to play against top international teams.

Southgate is however a moron.

Dier is a terrible, terrible player and Barkley hasn't played much football over the last couple of years for a reason. Why we have mentally slow players in the England team amazes me.

46 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Yes I was for giving Southgate some leeway....but his tenure is returning to 'old hat's English mentality....

For this new competition...

Pickford,..he's my no1, but we  should be bedding in a 2nd even a 3rd gk.

Defence:    .I really don't mind...spoilt for choice!!

Midfield...Catastrophy....keeping to Dier and Henderson......selections,coming from same clubs.

or not throwing new kids on the block in,once selected for 2nd-4th time...Deli is too lightweight,his potential is waning..

Forwards...Give Us and Kane a break...Sterling...let him sweat it out from the bench,he really is becoming a waste of time.

Plus he's playing in the wrong position now for 4-5 games..(the experiment was worth a shot...it didn't work!!)..

In this competition,unlike Spain and a few others,we haven't really gone for new or youth.

Southgate threatens to be dynamic....then it falls into...the notorious seen it all before boring path of selection..

But He just might stumble into a team,some players are lacklustre...then drop them!!! before they get injured.

Southgate should still see through the next 2real competitions,if only because he at least is tempted to go for youth.

If time can cure him of Deir,Henderson and  Sterling has automatic choices....and return Sterling to the wings,or not at all,then

Progress just might be made...

somes it up really.. threatened to unleash the kids of the future but then we see dier and barkley. Each English managers team is forced on them by FA sponsorship... Mount, sancho and maddison are not big enough names right now to command corporate sponsors money.

Edited by les-tah

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I think we need to also realise that Kane maybe a world class striker - at least this is what I keep reading - but he is not the striker for the system thatEngland are using. He is too slow, he cannot close down opposition defenders and doesn't have the speed to get into the bow when our fast men break. His only hope of scoring for England is from the penalty spot - which is why he was the WC top scorer - or from a set piece, where we have several possible scorers.

With regards the young guys, I'm not sure how anyone can claim that Sancho is the business, I can't believe any of us have seen enough of him. Maddison has looked worth trying out though and these glorified friendlies are the best chance to see if both/either of them (and any others) can take the big step up to play against top international teams.

Dier is a terrible, terrible player and Barkley hasn't played much football over the last couple of years for a reason. Why we have mentally slow players in the England team amazes me.

Sancho's assists record for Dortmund is incredible this season. England have zero creativity, just look at how few chances Kane has had in open play in the last 10+ games. It's been atrocious, any extra help from our support players would be very welcome. Both Sancho and Maddison maybe able to provide that, Sterling and Rashford certainly havent.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Really not sure what the point is of not actually trying the kids.

The whole team is the pits lets be honest. We've got one player that stands a chance of getting in a top level international team. Southgate isn't a good manager either, the football we've been playing for some time is awful.

I agree, i do not know where this Southgate love in has come from.

he makes all the right noises, picking the young talented players, then keeps them on the bench.

Chilwell wouldnt be there if Shaw was fit, he has taken his chance so fair play to him.

Rashford misses chances that any top striker should be putting away, but gets a start again.

we will loose this 2 - 0 and be schooled on how to play football, again.

4 hours ago, FIF said:

3 hours ago, les-tah said:

somes it up really.. threatened to unleash the kids of the future but then we see dier and barkley. Each English managers team is forced on them by FA sponsorship... Mount, sancho and maddison are not big enough names right now to command corporate sponsors money.

I believe  Barkley deserves another chance...without OX...we need a bit more bite...

he could still fail..but a chance to rekindle....why not

James Maddison has only played 8 games in the Premier League so far so he's done very well to even earn a call-up. If he gets even 10 minutes that's still heading in the right direction.

I do think it's inevitable he'll end up as a major component of the team because he is unique in the way he plays. In England we train our players like we are playing a PlayStation game, that's to say that the coaches drill into them what to do and where to stand, but players can't think for themselves. That's why for the last 10-15 years we've had players that are great athletes and even technically good, but why we've never looked close to winning a major tournament. The last player we had in the team that broke that mould was Paul Scholes and we bunged him out on the left hand side where he couldn't dicate the tempo of the game! :doh:

Maddison actually thinks about the game and can see the picture around him. Some of his link up play and ability to find space is already incredibly impressive for a guy who is let's not forget just 22 years of age. Yes some of his decisions aren't always the best, but to get even close to becoming a world class number 10, it takes time and experience. Luka Modric at 21 had bags of potential but was far from the player he would later become. For Maddison, he's already playing for a decent to good team in the Premier League as their main creative outlet. Work hard, learn the trade and keep doing what he's doing and it will all come in due course. He's honestly at probably the best possible club for both himself and us right now and I for one am excited to see how this player develops in our team.

The last time I was as excited for a player in our team was a young Algerian whipper snapper called Riyad Mahrez who every time he came off the bench looked pretty good. He didn't out to be too bad...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Sancho's assists record for Dortmund is incredible this season. England have zero creativity, just look at how few chances Kane has had in open play in the last 10+ games. It's been atrocious, any extra help from our support players would be very welcome. Both Sancho and Maddison maybe able to provide that, Sterling and Rashford certainly havent.

I'm not disagreeing with giving Sancho a chance but let's not get carried away. He's only played 7 german league games and if I read correctly he's only played as a starter once. I have no idea of the quality of Augsburg and the other teams he has played against and I'm willing to wait for a bigger sample size. I think Sterling has shown far more for his club at a higher level over a much longer time, yet this hasn't translated into success with England. As for Rashford see below.

1 hour ago, Cujek said:

I agree, i do not know where this Southgate love in has come from.

he makes all the right noises, picking the young talented players, then keeps them on the bench.

Chilwell wouldnt be there if Shaw was fit, he has taken his chance so fair play to him.

Rashford misses chances that any top striker should be putting away, but gets a start again.

we will loose this 2 - 0 and be schooled on how to play football, again.

The criticism of Rashford is ludicrous and a typical FT football watcher's criticism because he missed chances in his last game - he's now shit.

Rashford is 20, so exactly the young player we want coming through for England. He has electric pace and skill and he also makes great effort to get back and help his defence as well as being able to press opposition players (unlike Kane). His record for a 20 year old is magnificent 33 goals and 17 assists for one of the top European clubs, 10 champion's league appearances with 3 goals and 2 assists, goals for England.

TBH He's the striker I'd most like to sign for Leicester City as a natural long term replacement for Jamie.

People criticising him are doing it just for a laugh I think.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

England’s midfield of Dier winks and Barkley must be the weakest picked for a long time ...... against Spain of all teams .....jeez .......

It's frightening but at least they should bring Maddison on after 60 minutes and 6-0 down.