Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

A Compilation of Tributes

1 hour ago, Aesc said:

Wow. Reading these at work is not a good idea.

I held it together yesterday at home. Felt numb and empty, but kept myself busy and got on with the day.

Sat here at work now, reading through the statements, the tributes, and the BBC feed, and I'm a mess trying to hold back the tears. It really has hit me like a ton of bricks. :(

• Like 1

'He embraced the city and they embraced him... it's absolutely tragic': Paul Lambert pays tribute to Leicester City owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha 

New Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert, who lives in Leicester, pays his respects to the victims of Saturday night's helicopter crash outside the King Power Stadium

New Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert, who lives in Leicester, pays his respects to the victims of Saturday night's helicopter crash outside the King Power Stadium

Lambert said that Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha had 'embraced the city' of Leicester

Lambert said: 'It's not just the football club, it's the whole of Leicester. It's incredible what he (Vichai) did for everyone and it's still incredibly shocking.

'I was in the city this morning and I wanted to come down and pay my respects like everyone else.

'He did it right. He embraced everything, he embraced the city and they embraced him. The two bounced off each other. His ownership wasn't just football. It was a human thing as well.

'Others have died as well and it's horrific, it's absolutely tragic.'

He added on Sky Sports News: 'I live not too far from here myself and what's happened here has been incredible - the running of the club and winning the league.

'Everybody knows, when you lose lives, football means nothing. I've stayed up here for the last few years and this football club grew, the city grew.

'When Leicester won the title, it became a worldwide-known football club.

'It was down to himself and everybody that worked here. I just can't believe it. It's a shock, it really is.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6329085/Paul-Lambert-pays-tribute-Leicester-City-owner-Vichai-Srivaddhanaprabha.html

Darren Fletcher watched Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha's helicopter fly overhead on Saturday evening as it landed on the King Power Stadium pitch.

He had just commentated the game against West Ham for BT Sport. It was already far from a normal Saturday after learning Glenn Hoddle had been taken seriously ill in the broadcaster's studio that morning.

Nonetheless, Fletcher carried out his duties and left the game as normal shortly after the helicopter had passed over him in the club car park.

Like so many others, he was stunned to learn of the crash which ultimately took the life of the Leicester City owner and the four other people on board.

His first thoughts were understandably with those who died, but he also feared for friends working in the car park close to where the helicopter crashed before being engulfed in flames.

"I was sat in my car as the helicopter flew into the stadium to land. You don't think anything of it as it's a common occurrence at Leicester," he told Leicestershire Live.

"I got a call about 15 minutes later to say what happened. You hoped for the best, but feared the worst.

"Your first thought is for those on board, but then you think about those on the ground. The crash was very near the BT Sport compound where our team was working.

"There's so many people around the stadium and you fear for them. It sounds like there was perhaps some real heroism from the pilots to keep the helicopter away from people at the stadium and avoid even greater loss of life.

"It's one of the worst Saturdays I can remember. The news we got about Glenn Hoddle on Saturday hit us hard at BT Sport and hit football hard.

"It was already difficult doing the Leicester game with Glenn on our minds. I know people had to dig really deep and (presenter) Jake Humphrey in particular was excellent.

Leicester City chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha at the Premier League Asia Trophy match against Liverpool in Hong Kong
Leicester City chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha at the Premier League Asia Trophy match against Liverpool in Hong Kong (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)
"When you get news of the tragedy later in the day, it was just catastrophic. None of us will forget the day. It's one I could never comprehend."

The BBC Five Live presenter first covered the Foxes in 1990. He says Srivaddhanaprabha and his family defied any stereotypes about foreign owners.

Fletcher was unaware just how much Srivaddhanaprabha had given to the city of Leicester and his lasting legacy among the club, its players, supporters and the wider community.

"It's so desperate for everyone associated with Leicester City. I kind of knew what the owner meant to Leicester City, but I didn't know what he meant to the city of Leicester with his philanthropic activities," he said.

"He made a huge impact on the city. We knew he made the the dream possible for a football club, but he touched countless lives in the community.

"The club has always been one of the most friendly to deal with.

"They pride themselves on having wonderful people work for them. Sometimes when new owners come in the feeling of a club changes.

"They can become just a business and insular. The beauty of the Leicester ownership was that if anything they became part of the club.

"They knew what it was and understood the community he was buying into. He wanted to make the city better, not just Leicester City better.

"You saw the relationship he had with the players. In football today, quite often the owner is disconnected from the players.

"That wasn't the case at Leicester. They clearly loved and respected 'the boss' as he was known."

Tuesday's game against Southampton has been postponed and Fletcher feels that is the right decision as the whole of Leicester City grieves, along with the wider football world.

"There's been an outpouring of grief across football. The club should be allowed to take its time and deal with this in the dignified way I'm sure they will," he said.

"They should be allowed to play when they feel it's right."

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-helicopter-crash-bt-2159100

This is why I love football. Rivalries put aside and the whole footballing world comes together in times of need.

We had the entire world with us in our greatest moment, and now they are here in our saddest. 

Vichai made this all possible and one of many reasons he will be sorely missed