Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leaks claims Euro Super League talks held by clubs

On 12/06/2019 at 22:56, Aus Fox said:

**** em, **** the lot of them! Would the Premier League really be a worse place if you replaced Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man united and Liverpool with Leeds, WBA, Derby, Middlesbrough, Forest and Sheffield Wednesday?

We replace 6 dominant teams with billionaire owners with 6 well supported teams.

Thus giving anyone a chance at winning the league, a truely fully competitive league with everyone roughly in a similar position financially and supporter wise.

Let the top dogs see how well they do when the loyal supporters move on because and they fall on their faces, while we have a fully competitive league.

I've got to admit, as much as I enjoy the schadenfreude of the continued failure of Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby et. al to make it back to the Prem, if you gave me a choice of those clubs or these Super League Judases at present I'd definitely take them and make a point of letting the door hit our so-called "big 6" on the way out. Especially the ones with the nerve to declare themselves as such despite having less Premier League era titles than ourselves or Blackburn Rovers. :ph34r:

It's frankly a disgrace that the idea is even being entertained. And if it did happen, I'd expect significant disruption to the "product" on the ground from disgruntled fans. Would look great to the world audience to have games delayed and cancelled because of pitch invasions, people blocking turnstiles and stealing corner flags a la West Ham, but on a far greater scale. It's not something I would normally condone, but if it happens, it's a fight for the future of the entire game as far as I'm concerned. :dry:

Edited by OntarioFox

Those older amongst us have heard this all before, it’s seem to be discussed every now and then, but then goes away due to travel for fans and their discontent, if I remember right it last was seriously discussed late 90’s early 2000’s, the same as rangers and Celtic joining the premier league.

Very much doubt it would happen, there would be massive boycott’s by fans, as can you imagine the cost, and I know football has changed by money, but football is nothing without fans.

• Like 3

Guest seanfox778

**** em, **** the lot of them! Would the Premier League really be a worse place if you replaced Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man united and Liverpool with Leeds, WBA, Derby, Middlesbrough, Forest and Sheffield Wednesday?

We replace 6 dominant teams with billionaire owners with 6 well supported teams.

Thus giving anyone a chance at winning the league, a truely fully competitive league with everyone roughly in a similar position financially and supporter wise.

Let the top dogs see how well they do when the loyal supporters move on because and they fall on their faces, while we have a fully competitive league.

tumblr_p476s49dih1tpri36o5_500.png.jpg

19 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

Those older amongst us have heard this all before, it’s seem to be discussed every now and then, but then goes away due to travel for fans and their discontent, if I remember right it last was seriously discussed late 90’s early 2000’s, the same as rangers and Celtic joining the premier league.

Very much doubt it would happen, there would be massive boycott’s by fans, as can you imagine the cost, and I know football has changed by money, but football is nothing without fans.

I think this is something the powers that be need to be mindful of. The product they are selling is as much the atmosphere created by fans as anything on the pitch. I’ve actually quite enjoyed watching the Women’s World Cup, but the thing that’s really missing is the atmosphere. The women on the terraces try, but the squealing doesn’t quite cut it for me.

I believe the word is...yes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/06/2019 at 17:56, Aus Fox said:

Sounds like you preferred it when we were in the championship? 

• Like 1

Most people I know who watch football on tv are just as happy watching EFL games as EPL games.

The problem is the TV companies themselves think everyone only wants to watch the big 6, hence them been picked for most games and the current pay structure.

I think if you removed the current top 6 from the EPL, and replaced with the top 6 from the EFL or say forest, leeds, weds, and other larger ex EPL clubs then the league would still thrive and also be more competitive at the top.  But the smaller clubs are fearful that the league would collapse in popularity without the big 6 so comply to their whims.

The idea of scrapping the league cup, and reducing the size of the EPL horrifies me, all for a bigger european competition to benefit just 6 clubs.

Edited by Chrysalis

If you’re happy for our league structure to be knocked back 25 years then I agree with you.Without the big 6 the money goes.Luckily they need us as much as we need them.Any breakaway will be done slowly slowly.

3 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

If you’re happy for our league structure to be knocked back 25 years then I agree with you.Without the big 6 the money goes.Luckily they need us as much as we need them.Any breakaway will be done slowly slowly.

This is what marketing has conditioned us to believe. The money doesn’t necessarily go. It may be reduced initially, but the product is still there.

Its not an ideal situation I agree, but if teams want to go chasing a closed door big money competition let them go for it, but they will long term be the ones with egg on their faces.

A closed European league simply will not get the core following that the premier league gets. Grounds will be full of fair weather supporters, more so than they are now, who won’t make a noise. Fans simply won’t travel week in week out away ends will become similar to Spain where you get a few hundred rather than the big numbers.

and if you have a couple of poor seasons you will play in front of empty stadiums

4 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

This is what marketing has conditioned us to believe. The money doesn’t necessarily go. It may be reduced initially, but the product is still there.

Its not an ideal situation I agree, but if teams want to go chasing a closed door big money competition let them go for it, but they will long term be the ones with egg on their faces.

A closed European league simply will not get the core following that the premier league gets. Grounds will be full of fair weather supporters, more so than they are now, who won’t make a noise. Fans simply won’t travel week in week out away ends will become similar to Spain where you get a few hundred rather than the big numbers.

and if you have a couple of poor seasons you will play in front of empty stadiums

The product is still there but minus it’s best selling points.The reality is that any future tv deal would also be greatly reduced.We have had the luxury of being the trendy league.That has seen massive investment from abroad.That would soon dry up.So a double whammy.There would be more reliance on gate money,which would also be reduced.We have plenty of fly-be nights ourselves.

The resulting wage decreases would see most of the overseas contingent go home.Which would be great for our home grown players.Not so good for the standard of our league structure though.The lower leagues have benefited from players having to drop down a level or two.Not to mention the reduced sponsorship.A lot of 4th and 5th tier clubs would have to go part time.

I don’t think the big 6 are stupid enough to just leave, as I agree with you it would be a huge risk.To think there wouldn’t be huge financial consequences if they did go is wrong.Its basic economics.

3 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I don’t think the big 6 are stupid enough to just leave, as I agree with you it would be a huge risk.To think there wouldn’t be huge financial consequences if they did go is wrong.Its basic economics.

Of course, it isn't the Big 6 -- it's the Big 5 - Tottenham aren't invited.

The problem with the SuperLeague concept for the clubs involved is that it seems great at first, but the same greed will come into play in the next contract. If Juventus or Arsenal or Dortmund spend 5 seasons mid-table of the SuperLeague, what happens when Real Madrid, PSG, and ManCity say they should get a much higher percentage of the TV money?

These teams risk going from "Best in their country" to "perpetual mid-table fodder for the big boys."

And it is greed. Aside from a dozen already-Billionaire owners and a U.S.-based promoter, who wants it? Not the fans, not the vast majority of clubs, not even the TV networks, which would suddenly have far fewer "first class" football matches to fill time slots.

I am one who usually hates it when someone says "pass a law" but this reeks of the worst robber barron mentality and the national parliaments and EU should intervene.

42 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Of course, it isn't the Big 6 -- it's the Big 5 - Tottenham aren't invited.

The problem with the SuperLeague concept for the clubs involved is that it seems great at first, but the same greed will come into play in the next contract. If Juventus or Arsenal or Dortmund spend 5 seasons mid-table of the SuperLeague, what happens when Real Madrid, PSG, and ManCity say they should get a much higher percentage of the TV money?

These teams risk going from "Best in their country" to "perpetual mid-table fodder for the big boys."

And it is greed. Aside from a dozen already-Billionaire owners and a U.S.-based promoter, who wants it? Not the fans, not the vast majority of clubs, not even the TV networks, which would suddenly have far fewer "first class" football matches to fill time slots.

I am one who usually hates it when someone says "pass a law" but this reeks of the worst robber barron mentality and the national parliaments and EU should intervene.

I would imagine any league format would follow the US model with zones/conferences.Every game would be huge.You could even centrally contract the worlds top 500 players and have a 20/20 style bidding/draft bonanza.Taking place every pre-season,with every club having the same multi $$$$$ budget.The plastics would love it.Of course this is decades away but it will happen eventually.

• Like 1

With all this talk of the so called top 6,you would think that next year will again be the breakthrough season for someone to get in amongst them.I have a horrible feeling that despite Man U and Arsenal likely to have up and down seasons again,it will be same old same old.Which will be very depressing.I hope I’m wrong.

Chelsea will struggle, Spurs may struggle if they lose too many key players.  Arsenal look like they could be in trouble as well.  Thinking some more man utd, is another possibility,

Only liverpool and man city look comfortable in the top 6 right now, however how well wolves, ourselves, everton, watford do is unpredictable, ourselves need to have a good summer, we wont break the top 6 without another new striker and a good forward play midfielder (tielemans), I also feel the gap left by mahrez in his old position is an issue as well.

Wolves look like they not going to have much of an issue keeping their team together, so they are probably the most likely to break the top 6.

With us rodgers looks pretty solid so far in making sure we beat weaker teams, something previous managers struggled with.  But his record against the big 6 as far as I am concerned is still up in the air.  Puel did well against them.  Chelsea had a poor vs top 6 record last season but pretty much won every game against the bottom 10, which by itself was enough to get them top 6 combined with some draws and one or two wins vs the top 9.

Beating the bottom half of table home and away basically makes you a top 6 team, and how well you do against the rest determines if you challenging for the title or scrapping for a CL spot.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2019 at 17:10, Bert said:

By a country mile as well 

But not everyone cares. I want to watch Leicester whatever division, I enjoyed watching us in the championship as much as I enjoy watching us in the premier league. We obviously differ in what we look for from Football. I really couldn't care less about the CL or the Europa cup/league whatever it is apart from how it affects Leicester. tbh I didn't even watch the CL final. I like to play against Liverpool but if they want to leave let them go.

On 15/06/2019 at 21:56, Heathrow fox said:

Football isn't all about money for many supporters. You must understand that we don't all have your priorities with regards Leicester and football. If your team were in league two would you stop supporting them or not enjoy the football? You make it sound like football is better to watch now than it was 25 years ago - I can't agree with that. Do you think football is better now than 50 years ago too?

On 16/06/2019 at 12:22, Heathrow fox said:

I would imagine any league format would follow the US model with zones/conferences.Every game would be huge.You could even centrally contract the worlds top 500 players and have a 20/20 style bidding/draft bonanza.Taking place every pre-season,with every club having the same multi $$$$$ budget.The plastics would love it.Of course this is decades away but it will happen eventually.

You are rather money obsessed.

7 minutes ago, FIF said:

But not everyone cares. I want to watch Leicester whatever division, I enjoyed watching us in the championship as much as I enjoy watching us in the premier league. We obviously differ in what we look for from Football. I really couldn't care less about the CL or the Europa cup/league whatever it is apart from how it affects Leicester. tbh I didn't even watch the CL final. I like to play against Liverpool but if they want to leave let them go.

Football isn't all about money for many supporters. You must understand that we don't all have your priorities with regards Leicester and football. If your team were in league two would you stop supporting them or not enjoy the football? You make it sound like football is better to watch now than it was 25 years ago - I can't agree with that. Do you think football is better now than 50 years ago too?

Football is light years ahead of 25 years ago.

Check out our game at atletico Madrid in 1997 with the best team I'd ever seen represent lcfc. I watched the first 10 mins recently and was staggered at how we played

I love being a relative top dog, in a world popular league where fans all over the world know us and our players. And the money that sloshes around the game adds to the glamour.

That ain't gonna happen playing Sheffield Wednesday.

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Football is light years ahead of 25 years ago.

Check out our game at atletico Madrid in 1997 with the best team I'd ever seen represent lcfc. I watched the first 10 mins recently and was staggered at how we played

I love being a relative top dog, in a world popular league where fans all over the world know us and our players. And the money that sloshes around the game adds to the glamour.

That ain't gonna happen playing Sheffield Wednesday.

And England once won the world cup.

You've really missed the point. I enjoyed watching football 25 years ago or 45 years ago at least as much as I enjoy watching it now. Your making a judgement based on a  comparison that isn't real. It's like saying Sprinting is better now than in the past because Usain Bolt runs faster whereas I'm saying back in the day watching Borzov or Christie were just as much fun.

If Leicester were in League 2 would you be a Leicester supporter or a Liverpool supporter? If you say Leicester supporter then like me you prefer your own team and football in general if you say Liverpool you're a plastic who isn't really a football supporter just an elite celebrity supporter. 

I would rather Leicester were battling it out with the other football giants but if they aren't I'll stick with watching whatver level of football they are in. That's why women's football and local football and kid's football has a following. It's about the game at your level not about the few corporate business and oil rich vanity teams out there.

All this money is actually harming the game - just look at the transfer window - the top teams want everyone's best players, their teams are holding out for ridiculous amounts of money and it'll come down to some stupid transfers on the last day again negating the point of having a transfer window. And of course the football financial bubble is eventually going to burst. Oil is going to dry up and then it'll be down to whether the rich American / Chinese companies want to put money into English/European football or into their own leagues. In 25 years you may well be a foreign supporter following an American Soccer team or a Chinese football team as the English game becomes a farm league for other money areas. If I'm still alive I'll stick with the City and let the Oklahoma buckaroos become world champions without my interference.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, FIF said:

Your getting me all wrong.The IPL auction bonanza was rather more said tongue in cheek.Although i could see something like that happening in a few decades time.Especially if the game needs rebooting.I stand by the format thing though as that would be the best way to organise any such League.

Im actually lucky if i see Leicester once or twice a season.It will always be away.I haven’t been to the KP for donkeys,not to watch a game anyway.Most of the live football i watch is National prem or National South.Mainly because it is like football used to be 30 years ago.Although you would be shocked at how good the standard actually is both on and off the pitch.Partly due to the British lads having to drop a League or two.

I have no doubt that many of our non league teams wouldn’t embarrass themselves in most of Europe’s second tiers.The interest created by the Premier League(Plus Taylor Report)and the money pumped in since has helped to raise the standards across the board.Take the top 6 away and everything gets devalued.From ticket prices,sponsorship,players wages and general standards.Thats what I mean about knocking the game back 25 years.Me personally I’m happy to pee up a wall and stand under leaking roof,whilst having coins lobbed at my head.A lot of people aren’t though.