Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

I think it's up to women to decide if that's sexist or not, if the roles were reversed Labour would be doing exactly the same, as they did that time Cameron told Angela Eagle to "calm down dear".

The incident itself isn't important, the truth is though and you can't deflect away from the truth with conspiracy theory.

The attempt to deny it is pretty disturbing and shows the weird cult of Corbyn is still alive and kicking.

That's precisely the point, in the last few weeks Phillip Hammond used the same phrase and worse was said about Yvette cooper but it didn't make waves in the mainstream media because it didn't suit the narrative. It works both ways. I'm pretty sure Corbyn has been called far far worse many a time by the hired goons in the commons that were seen hiding behind the benches shouting insults on Theresa Mays command. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

That's precisely the point, in the last few weeks Phillip Hammond used the same phrase and worse was said about Yvette cooper but it didn't make waves in the mainstream media because it didn't suit the narrative. It works both ways. I'm pretty sure Corbyn has been called far far worse many a time by the hired goons in the commons that were seen hiding behind the benches shouting insults on Theresa Mays command. 

It was Andrea Jenkyns - not Yvette Cooper.

I remember the story being pretty widely reported as well. It was front page of The Times and on the BBC news.

And Hammond? And the reinstatement of sex offenders for the no-confidence vote? Barely a mutter in the press.

Anyway, for instance, if you look carefully, and nobody on here is a professional Lip Reader, you can conceivably see both words, except for the majority of the public the Tories got to the narrative first and so drive public opinion. Basic principle of politics.

Edited by SecretPro

8 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

And Hammond? And the reinstatement of sex offenders for the no-confidence vote? Barely a mutter in the press.

Anyway, for instance, if you look carefully, and nobody on here is a professional Lip Reader, you can conceivably see both words, except for the majority of the public the Tories got to the narrative first and so drive public opinion. Basic principle of politics.

I'm talking about Hammond - he was responding to AJ

Again the restoration of the whip being restored was widely covered - if you didn't know about it you didn't watch the news or read the papers.

Is the last bit a wind up? Racheal Swindon and the Corbynator for a unbiased opinion?

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I'm talking about Hammond - he was responding to AJ

Again the restoration of the whip being restored was widely covered - if you didn't know about it you didn't watch the news or read the papers.

Is the last bit a wind up? Racheal Swindon and the Corbynator for a unbiased opinion?

I thought you were referring to the Tory MP that called Yvette Cooper a stupid bitch. 

Everything is biased, if you are obtaining your news from the BBC then it's just as laughable. 

Just now, SecretPro said:

I thought you were referring to the Tory MP that called Yvette Cooper a stupid bitch. 

Everything is biased, if you are obtaining your news from the BBC then it's just as laughable. 

I think the BBC might have a bit more balance that "the Corbynator" Twitter page.

Just now, MattP said:

I think the BBC might have a bit more balance that "the Corbynator" Twitter page.

True to an extent, but look around, I've posted links to news outlets and there are many professional lip readers all over twitter arguing about what was actually said, if THEY can't agree, then I doubt your masterly lip reading skills hold much weight. I deplore anybody taking anything the BBC reports at the present time as 'truth'. Pretty clear where the strings are being pulled there and highly visible with their coverage of Brexit and May. The world knows she stuffed and yet idiots like Laura K are still painting a much rosier picture than most other outlets. 

3 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

I never understand the BBC bashing re: news reporting. They're not perfect as it's extremely difficult to get full balance and they're never leading the news (usually reacting to the news agenda). But please show me a better news broadcaster

Reuters online if you want proper in depth news!

5 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

I never understand the BBC bashing re: news reporting. They're not perfect as it's extremely difficult to get full balance and they're never leading the news (usually reacting to the news agenda). But please show me a better news broadcaster

This. AFAIC that they cop flak from both right and left means they're pretty close to where they need to be in terms of impartiality.

Reuters, the AP (if you just want bland reports) and the New York Times are pretty good, too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

I'll take that. But don't forget that BBC news reports are a three minute window to report the news so can never be as in depth as Reuters.

True to an extent, but they have things like Newsnight which to be honest is a shadow of it's former self, very stereotype driven especially on Brexit and very often completely misjudges the public mood - I can see why it's getting the chop after a 4m drop in viewing figures. They have been caught out one time too many with dodgy panels and interviewees, as have Question time. (PS. I know this is the mail, but, I remember watching the episode and she was so pro-May it came across as a parody at the time...https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6445011/BBC-forced-deny-hiring-fake-vicar-Theresa-Mays-Brexit-deal-Newsnight.html

13 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

For what it's worth, I think Corbyn did whisper "stupid woman", but the video is far from conclusive. Even if he did, it's hardly the crime of the century.

Is that our top priority here?! :blink:

- We have a govt using delaying tactics to try to steamroller through a deal that nobody wants, by threatening to devastate the country, and a governing party that cannot agree a policy on the biggest issue for decades

- Meanwhile, UK citizens in Europe & EU citizens in the UK face massive stress and thousands of jobs and businesses are put at risk by the uncertainty

- £4.2 billion is being spent at the last minute to prepare for a disastrous outcome that may or may not happen (what else could that money have bought?! :frusty:)

- Thousands of troops have been put on alert to handle chaos at ports

- A motorway in North Kent (dozens of miles from Dover) is being converted into a parking area for trucks in anticipation of truly massive delays

- Planes are being chartered to airlift in medication so that treatment for cancer patients will be able to continue...

I can only assume that if news emerged of an impending apocalypse, the priority for Tories and Brexiteers would be to speculate as to whether Corbyn had farted in a lift. :rolleyes:

We need to replace the phrase "fiddling while Rome burns". How about "lipreading while Britain burns" or "lipreading while the Tories fiddle while Britain burns"?!

Love this. Pretty much sums everything up.

Unreal how we've suddenly managed to pull £4.2b out of our backsides, given the whole austerity thing etc. It's Magic!

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

Love this. Pretty much sums everything up.

Unreal how we've suddenly managed to pull £4.2b out of our backsides, given the whole austerity thing etc. It's Magic!

The magic money tree does exist, after all.

It's also after a major negative adjustment in our national finances: ONS has increased our national deficit by £12bn to allow for the reality that a large proportion of student loans will never be repaid....lol

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/student-loans-university-education-tuition-maintenance-grants-deficit-national-debt-a8686556.html

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

For what it's worth, I think Corbyn did whisper "stupid woman", but the video is far from conclusive. Even if he did, it's hardly the crime of the century.

Is that our top priority here?! :blink:

- We have a govt using delaying tactics to try to steamroller through a deal that nobody wants, by threatening to devastate the country, and a governing party that cannot agree a policy on the biggest issue for decades

- Meanwhile, UK citizens in Europe & EU citizens in the UK face massive stress and thousands of jobs and businesses are put at risk by the uncertainty

- £4.2 billion is being spent at the last minute to prepare for a disastrous outcome that may or may not happen (what else could that money have bought?! :frusty:)

- Thousands of troops have been put on alert to handle chaos at ports

- A motorway in North Kent (dozens of miles from Dover) is being converted into a parking area for trucks in anticipation of truly massive delays

- Planes are being chartered to airlift in medication so that treatment for cancer patients will be able to continue...

I can only assume that if news emerged of an impending apocalypse, the priority for Tories and Brexiteers would be to speculate as to whether Corbyn had farted in a lift. :rolleyes:

We need to replace the phrase "fiddling while Rome burns". How about "lipreading while Britain burns" or "lipreading while the Tories fiddle while Britain burns"?!

Tbh Alf, one might have expected that you'd respect parliamentary standards and that such a thing shouldn't be deemed acceptable because 'it's hardly crime of the century'. I mean I think it has been blown out of proportion but I also don't think it's is acceptable behaviour for the leader of the opposition, or anyone in parliament for that matter (and other matters should be dealt with similarly), to sit in parliament and say these things. All he had to do was come back, say it was wrong, and apologise

So yes there's other bigger priorities, no it's not even criminal but that funnily enough is no reason to ignore it.

• Like 1

Paedophile gang member Mathew Law jailed for 20 years

Law, 50, is last of eight-strong gang who groomed pregnant mother so they could attack her baby and film their abuse

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/20/paedophile-gang-member-mathew-law-jailed-for-20-years

Absolute scum.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any indication of their ethnicity or religious affiliation, for some reason.

• Sad 1

On 14/12/2018 at 20:13, Buce said:

I still don’t get. 

We managed perfectly well without passports and visas throughout most of history. 

I’m not fussed about working abroad, I just want the freedom to travel without impediment. 

We have had passports/visas and papers,even going back to the old empire days...:dunno:

When before our best travelling chance...was with Romans giving our  forfathers a tattoo and a permit,

to be encouraged by the galley master,to row a bit faster....I

even for the crusades,one had to prove,what a barbarous,Christian believer one was,and a good knight put you down on his scroll,

as a travelling willing to die,low payed,but promised ravaging ,and collecting booty.....vassel!!!

so I am not too sure when we had the "without" period..:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

Paedophile gang member Mathew Law jailed for 20 years

Law, 50, is last of eight-strong gang who groomed pregnant mother so they could attack her baby and film their abuse

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/20/paedophile-gang-member-mathew-law-jailed-for-20-years

Absolute scum.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any indication of their ethnicity or religious affiliation, for some reason.

Just sometimes..I wished I wasn't civilized.....And all my countries where I have lived would, just chopp these people.

I still would welcome capital punishment...How can anybody promise me that my family that I have nurtured in the name

of our society,are safe from such scum!!!

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

We have had passports/visas and papers,even going back to the old empire days...:dunno:

When before our best travelling chance...was with Romans giving our  forfathers a tattoo and a permit,

to be encouraged by the galley master,to row a bit faster....I

even for the crusades,one had to prove,what a barbarous,Christian believer one was,and a good knight put you down on his scroll,

as a travelling willing to die,low payed,but promised ravaging ,and collecting booty.....vassel!!!

so I am not too sure when we had the "without" period..:rolleyes:

The concept of the passport as we know it was introduced after the First World War:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/features/a-history-of-the-passport/

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

The concept of the passport as we know it was introduced after the First World War:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/features/a-history-of-the-passport/

Yup but you and I wasn't even a glint  in your grandads eye...:)

So our modern history ,in our memory had papers and passports,

plus I was being obstroculous....

Cos @Buce  your a fine fellow,and it's worth exchanging with you  on these little twists of our contradictory and facetious history:cheers:

• Haha 1