Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

This is shit as I was just about to book a 91 day cruise.

If you tell the captain to put his foot on the accelerator up the Bay of Biscay and the English Channel, you might duck under 91 days and still enjoy visa cover.

Piss-poor product design by the cruise company, though. Shows a distinct lack of Brexit awareness.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

Missing the point again. 

It’s not about the money.

For what it's worth I thought freedom of movement was (and still is) a very good idea whilst countries with similar economies had it, it was great as it meant easy comfortable travel and no chance of large scale labour migration impacting on communities - then like a bull to a red rag we dragged countries into it where it somehow became possible for 1.4 million people from one nation to migrant to another in a few years.

Maybe if the politicians has addressed the issues and problems that caused we wouldn't be in this position; but they didnt, which is another thing the European Union got wrong that you can add to the list I made earlier.

Like county cricket, the EU needs to be a two-tier system. 

Edited by MattP

49 minutes ago, MattP said:

For what it's worth I thought freedom of movement was (and still is) a very good idea whilst countries with similar economies had it, it was great as it meant easy comfortable travel and no chance of large scale labour migration impacting on communities - then like a bull to a red rag we dragged countries into it where it somehow became possible for 1.4 million people from one nation to migrant to another in a few years.

Maybe if the politicians has addressed the issues and problems that caused we wouldn't be in this position; but they didnt, which is another thing the European Union got wrong that you can add to the list I made earlier.

Like county cricket, the EU needs to be a two-tier system. 

Maybe I’m being naive but I don’t get why we can’t have freedom of movement independent of the freedom to work/receive benefits. 

I’d be perfectly happy with that. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Buce said:

Maybe I’m being naive but I don’t get why we can’t have freedom of movement independent of the freedom to work/receive benefits. 

I’d be perfectly happy with that. 

I'd be delighted if we could but the single market can't operate properly without freedom of movement for labour.

58 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'd be delighted if we could but the single market can't operate properly without freedom of movement for labour.

I still don’t get. 

We managed perfectly well without passports and visas throughout most of history. 

I’m not fussed about working abroad, I just want the freedom to travel without impediment. 

47 minutes ago, Buce said:

I still don’t get. 

We managed perfectly well without passports and visas throughout most of history. 

I’m not fussed about working abroad, I just want the freedom to travel without impediment. 

The visa waiver scheme is slightly below finding your passport in the difficulty scale though isn’t it?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The visa waiver scheme is slightly below finding your passport in the difficulty scale though isn’t it?

It’s the 90 day limit that I object to. 

Whichever way you spin it, it’s more restrictive than we have at present. 

36 minutes ago, Buce said:

It’s the 90 day limit that I object to. 

Whichever way you spin it, it’s more restrictive than we have at present. 

It’s nonsense though really, you won’t find yourself deported unless you try for work, benefits or get arrested. So really you’ll be completely unimpeded.

Edited by Strokes

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

It’s nonsense though really, you won’t find yourself deported unless you try for work, benefits or get arrested. So really you’ll be completely unimpeded.

Not really. 

If you are clocked overstaying your visa when you leave they will probably deny you another time. And anyway, back in the day, certainly countries (Spain in particular) would make random checks on public transport. Same goes. 

I could tell a few tales about illicit border crossings but I think they are best saved for my memoirs. :D 

28 minutes ago, Buce said:

Not really. 

If you are clocked overstaying your visa when you leave they will probably deny you another time. And anyway, back in the day, certainly countries (Spain in particular) would make random checks on public transport. Same goes. 

I could tell a few tales about illicit border crossings but I think they are best saved for my memoirs. :D 

Fair enough, my experience has been a little different but yeah you’re right that they will clock you coming out. 

I over stayed a visa/visa waiver in the USA and the customs fella at the airport hit the roof but ultimately I took my flight home and have returned with no issues since. 

• Like 1

It works both ways though, eu member residents will need to pay to come here and seeing as there’s 26 countries worth of people and only one lot of us, we could end up quids in. In addition, at least we won’t get the gypos who’ve been booted out of ireland cos no one wants them setting up camp in every lay-by.

Edited by yorkie1999

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

It works both ways though, eu member residents will need to pay to come here and seeing as there’s 26 countries worth of people and only one lot of us, we could end up quids in. 

Yeah, the UK is a cracking place for a holiday. 

Who needs the Greek islands when you have Skeggy. 

• Haha 1

As the saying goes 'never talk to strangers', but in this local news some strangers can be excellent citizens for those in need.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/kindness-melton-stranger-helps-man-801961

Edit: Despite reading this story on the This Is Leicestershire website today, the story dates back to November of last year, hence is not very recent; but the point is still clear.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

10 hours ago, Strokes said:

I agree, but we do get around 30 million tourists a year. Not sure how many are from Europe though.

Probably because it's cheap in Third World Britain - parity with the dollar in some exchanges.

58 minutes ago, Buce said:

Probably because it's cheap in Third World Britain - parity with the dollar in some exchanges.

Ever get the feeling you've gone a bit Victor Meldrew and are now just taking a negative viewpoint of absolutely anything?

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

Ever get the feeling you've gone a bit Victor Meldrew and are now just taking a negative viewpoint of absolutely anything?

Ever get the feeling you allow your blinkered patriotism to blind you to reality?

There is nothing positive about parity with the dollar.

32 minutes ago, Buce said:

Ever get the feeling you allow your blinkered patriotism to blind you to reality?

There is nothing positive about parity with the dollar.

Not really, when I see people claiming Britain is now a third World country I realise I'm most likely on the sensible side of the argument. 

But where to start with this? There is no parity with the dollar firstly. 

Second line is just not true either is it? Many positives to it, growth in tourism and boom in exports would be two.

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Not really, when I see people claiming Britain is now a third World country I realise I'm most likely on the sensible side of the argument. 

But where to start with this? There is no parity with the dollar firstly. 

Second line is just not true either is it? Many positives to it, growth in tourism and boom in exports would be two.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/pound-dollar-exchange-rate-airports-uk-parity-currency-euros-brexit-a8683156.html

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/dec/14/uk-airport-travellers-receiving-less-than-1-dollar-for-every-pound-exchanged

'At Cardiff airport, the bureau de change was offering customers only $0.97 for every £1 on Friday. At Bristol airport, Moneycorp is giving customers only $1.03 for £1, while at Gatwick the rate is only $1.06. At Heathrow, Travelex is paying $1.05 for every £1.

British visitors to EU countries are also suffering a collapse in their buying power, with some airport exchange bureaux offering as little as €0.90 for every £1 this week.'

Edited by Buce

9 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't think currency rates are determined by rip off merchants at airports in the same way we don't judge beer prices on what they are sold at in a field at Glastonbury.

If we did then we reached parity with the Euro ten years back and I don't ever remember anyone complaining about that.

10 hours ago, Buce said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/pound-dollar-exchange-rate-airports-uk-parity-currency-euros-brexit-a8683156.html

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/dec/14/uk-airport-travellers-receiving-less-than-1-dollar-for-every-pound-exchanged

'At Cardiff airport, the bureau de change was offering customers only $0.97 for every £1 on Friday. At Bristol airport, Moneycorp is giving customers only $1.03 for £1, while at Gatwick the rate is only $1.06. At Heathrow, Travelex is paying $1.05 for every £1.

British visitors to EU countries are also suffering a collapse in their buying power, with some airport exchange bureaux offering as little as €0.90 for every £1 this week.'

TBF that’s those are rates being offered to British tourists for their pounds, not rates being offered to American tourists for their dollars. It’s just tourists getting ripped off by a huge spread, so Americans would probably only get maybe 50p for each dollar from the same exchanges.

Nevertheless, the pound is particularly low at present, currently around $1.26, and the dip is mostly down to Brexit.