Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Personally I'd like to see a widespread anonymous poll asking questions that relate to how the responder feels about other races... asking people if they feel racially discriminated against doesn't prove that they actually were.  And indeed even if the responder is accurately gauging the situation, without data on frequency of occurrence it doesn't tell us much - if they all experienced racism just once in the last years then it isn't exactly proof of a widespread problem. More information needed.

• Like 4

A Day in the Life
"Dub the mic on the piano quite low this
Just keeping it like maracas, you know
You know those old pianos"
"Ok, we're on"
"Sugarplum fairy, sugarplum fairy"
I read the news today, oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well, I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph
He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure if he was from the House of Lords
I saw a film today, oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
But I just had to look
Having read the book
I'd love to turn you on
"Five, six, seven, eight, nine
Ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen
Fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen
Twenty"
Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up I noticed I was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Made my way upstairs and had a smoke
And everybody spoke and I went into a dream
"Oh shit"
I read the news today, oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall
I'd love to turn you
"See the worst thing about doing this
Doing something like this
Is I think that at first people sort of are a bit suspicious
'You know, come on, what are you up to?'
Songwriters: John Lennon / Paul McCartney
A Day in the Life lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, very important that everyone agrees with everyone else these days or people could get offended

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy debate and having to defend your position as essential to good thought (and I've said so on here before) but I can also see why the other thread got nixed and while I'd like a thread to discuss political UK stuff it does need pretty careful attention so it doesn't become toxic and circular.

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

This is an interesting read:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46356725

I'm working with an Iranian at the moment and he's quite open about how many people despise the regime. It's a fascinating country I'd love to visit. 

I've often thought of how cool it would be to travel the route taken by Alexander the Great.

• Like 1

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-news-latest-uk-can-unilaterally-revoke-article-50-and-reverse-brexit-eu-court-rules-a4007436.html

"The UK can halt Brexit by unilaterally revoking Article 50, a senior EU law officer has said. An advocate general from the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has published his legal opinion on the case, brought by a cross-party group of Scottish politicians, ahead of a judgment by the court at a later date". 

Insofar as I understand the system, an Advocate-General (the senior law officer mentioned) issues a report recommending a verdict. The European Court then gives a verdict, usually agreeing with the report, but sometimes disregarding it.

So, basically, this means that it it likely - but not yet certain - that the UK could unilaterally decide to revoke Article 50 without the EU contesting this or imposing conditions for the revocation.

Politically, it could probably only happen if a 2nd referendum voted for it or if a govt took power with a mandate for it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-news-latest-uk-can-unilaterally-revoke-article-50-and-reverse-brexit-eu-court-rules-a4007436.html

"The UK can halt Brexit by unilaterally revoking Article 50, a senior EU law officer has said. An advocate general from the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has published his legal opinion on the case, brought by a cross-party group of Scottish politicians, ahead of a judgment by the court at a later date". 

Insofar as I understand the system, an Advocate-General (the senior law officer mentioned) issues a report recommending a verdict. The European Court then gives a verdict, usually agreeing with the report, but sometimes disregarding it.

So, basically, this means that it it likely - but not yet certain - that the UK could unilaterally decide to revoke Article 50 without the EU contesting this or imposing conditions for the revocation.

Politically, it could probably only happen if a 2nd referendum voted for it or if a govt took power with a mandate for it. 

Have to wait for the full verdict of course but.....

This makes is legally and more crucially, constitutionally, possible to remove May and revoke article 50, then reinvoke it again under a new leader and start the process again with two years to go - also giving us the time to prepare properly for no deal as well if that was necessary.

Could all be done before the next election as well in 2022.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Have to wait for the full verdict of course but.....

This makes is legally and more crucially, constitutionally, possible to remove May and revoke article 50, then reinvoke it again under a new leader and start the process again with two years to go - also giving us the time to prepare properly for no deal as well if that was necessary.

Could all be done before the next election as well in 2022.

And you would expect the EU to cooperate after such duplicitous behaviour?