Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Corky

Loss of momentum when attacking

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It is frustrating that at no point we really tried Slimani or Ulloa in that position, or kept them as an option off the bench. Slimani vs Huddersfield on new years day looked to be a watershed moment, it was a great goal and one of his best performances for a year. I think that was his last game before going on loan to Newcastle.

I think bridges have been burnt with Slimani, but there is no reason why we can't have a Giroud style player without abandoning Puel's philosophy.

Why not Giroud. World Cup Winner, 9 shots, 0 on target. Sounds like a perfect fit for us.

• Haha 1

It really annoys me that when we defend a corner, we leave absolutely nobody up ready to attack. Even Vardy is usually stood by our goal. Sums up the whole current mentality I'm afraid. Remember our title winning season when we left 3 up toward the half way line? The opposition  would leave atleast 4 there aswell to try and stop the counter. Reduced their threat in our box and meantwe could charge at them. That's when we were exciting to watch.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

Why not Giroud. World Cup Winner, 9 shots, 0 on target. Sounds like a perfect fit for us.

I take you didn't watch France's WC matches

Giroud is an unsung hero of the WC. He might not have scored but still was crucial Deschamps's system. There's a reason why he started all the games while France weren't short of strikers. His ball holding and the way he created openings with his runs were exceptional.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, That_Dude said:

I take you didn't watch France's WC matches

Giroud is an unsung hero of the WC. He might not have scored but still was crucial Deschamps's system. There's a reason why he started all the games while France wasn't short of strikers. His ball holding and the way he created openings with his runs were exceptional.

Yeah I know how great his hold up play is. Just poking fun :D. Well he's better than Morat-ass any way

4 minutes ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

nOpE! Yeah what u make of taking Michy on loan.?

You mean the guy playing Champions League football with Valencia after a reasonable spell at Dortmund last year? 

Probably about comparable to how I feel about us targeting Arsenal, Chelsea and Juventus target and Italian international, Andrea Belotti. 

Although he's having about as good a goalscoring season as Belotti so who knows. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah, there's absolutely zero chance of him getting sacked mid season IMO. 

I think they'll spend the rest of the season sounding out replacements. You're always going to get crap if you replace during the year. 

Right.  Foolish to make this a reactionary decision, based on emotion.

Absent sheer luck (July 2015), it takes time to identify, and opportunity to get, the right man.  The requirements extend well beyond recent success on the pitch.  Who (that LCFC could hire and keep) has demonstrated:

- both playing and improving youth?

- possession based football, ideally with successful transition(s) to it?

- alignment with the recruitment and player support philosophies; plus ideas to develop them?

One hopes the senior heads at the Club track managers similarly to players.  Identify likely prospects, keep up to date on their performance vis-a-vis our specific criteria, estimate their availability.

This is a transitional season, so far a mixed bag.  November got knocked sideways, so we will need most of it to evaluate whether Puel is the man to take us forward.  In case he’s not, we should already be refining the short-list.  And even if he is, what is the average tenure of a PL manager these days?  Plan and prepare for the day.  But if you're not headed off the cliff, why panic and throw it into reverse.  We already need enough replacement parts.

Edited by KingsX

16 hours ago, F1_AN said:

Can I mention here my hatred of bringing every player back to defend corners?

just keep one up to at least give their defence something to think about if the ball breaks out 

You need to remember how many goals we used to concede from corners, at least lately with everyone back to defend we've stopped conceding as many.

On 09/12/2018 at 07:36, Corky said:

Seems to be far too common in our games, especially tonight. How often did we take an extra touch, delay in laying the ball off, heavy touch to lose control, bit of "skill" easily blocked, aimless cross?

Plenty were guilty. Iheanacho, Ndidi, Chilwell, Albrighton, Ricardo, Maddison, Gray all had opportunities to build something but, for whatever reason, didn't happen.

Is it nerves about losing the ball? Trying too much? Lack of composure in attacking areas is hurting us.

It is a combination of factors. It is the coach’s job to combine them all in a way so that, like you said, momentum is not lost.

For this, I blame Puel a bit. I like his style overall but he is too stubborn with certain players creating in imbalance. As I and many others have said in the past, the biggest problem in terms of losing momentum or lacking that quality in our plays is Ndidi. He occupies such a central position that it creates a real problem. He would play the ball one second late, takes a heavy touch so as to lose the ball, passes to his teammate a yard behind him, etc. He has right ideas some times but he just could not execute. So most of the times we lose momentum. We play with a handicap.

If Simpson plays, and arguably he is worst than Ndidi when it comes to passing skills, at least he is a RB and his impact would not be as great.

I would take out Albrington out of your list. To me, his passing and crossing at the earliest opportunity is impressive. Not all comes good, but at least his balls have potential.

Chilwell is improving but most of his balls have not much potential.

Maddison is, well, still has room to improve. His passing is still just a yard or two too long or short.

Fuchs, coincidentally, is a great first time crosser of the ball. Better than Chilwell, but obviously he is not appreciated by Puel. He is one of the reasons why we did so well in counterattacking.

On 09/12/2018 at 00:36, Corky said:

Seems to be far too common in our games, especially tonight. How often did we take an extra touch, delay in laying the ball off, heavy touch to lose control, bit of "skill" easily blocked, aimless cross?

Plenty were guilty. Iheanacho, Ndidi, Chilwell, Albrighton, Ricardo, Maddison, Gray all had opportunities to build something but, for whatever reason, didn't happen.

Is it nerves about losing the ball? Trying too much? Lack of composure in attacking areas is hurting us.

Albrighton I can understand ,he breaks his gut to make space for cross,over a few seasons now...Then finds nobody in the sniffing zone!!!

Sometimes I reckon,He thinks I've done my job,now you gawks,Ffs get there!!!

Not forgetting,he has always been involved,no sorry...mostly involved in our better goals and forward movement.Some classics...!!

Loss of momentum often means ,nobody offering themselves,or too far way behind...or in Nachos case also  dithering!!

Edited by fuchsntf

Not enough quality or composure when in dangerous areas to either create the final piece of play or finishing off the opportunity .. all the players are liable some more than others we don't look like a team when attacking more individuals.

Doesn't help Chillwel getting into 20 crossing positions each game for it to not make it past the first man we need to be more clever when we have the ball in dangerous areas Nididi smashing it into the stands when he could bring it down and create something 

Vardy and Nacho should have burried a few more as well which don't help the situation as the good chances we do create are missed 

Loads to work on 

On 09/12/2018 at 11:12, ttfn said:

This is a huge problem for us and you’ve named half the team as culprits which tells its own story.

For me biggest culprit in this regard is somebody you’ve not named and that’s Mendy. He’s completely incapable of playing the ball forwards - the few occasions he tries it he loses it immediately.

Mendy is a very clever player - positionally he’s bright, he’s mobile, combative and very neat and tidy in his short passing game. But he is a terrible partner for Ndidi in this system.

The flaws in Ndidi’s passing game are well documented and if we’re to stand any chance of changing the pace of our attacking play he needs somebody with a stronger range of passing next to him. Right now that player has got to be Iborra, who made several decent forward passes yesterday and also adds some much needed height to what is not a tall team.

Good points. I'd drop N'didi before Mendy on current form, though.

Spurs second at the weekend son kept his cool while ali backed of a couple of paces and evans moved forward nice chipped cross and goal.

First half we had the same situation with chilwell and nacho ,nacho didn't really back off and chilwell did the usual low ball didn't beat the first man.

Composure lack off-.Vardy is also very often expecting the ball to pass through two or three defenders to reach him will never happen.