Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bigboss204

Puel’s arrogance (or blindness).

2 minutes ago, kingfox said:

The problem with the squad is that we're stuck in the middle of a transition stage, it's pretty evident that we could do with 2-3 more in attacking areas, when the summer transfer window comes around though we're probably looking at 10+ players leaving. Simpson, Fuchs and Okazaki will all probably leave, Iborra and Silva perhaps too, maybe one or two others of our usual matchday squad.

When it comes to us being lacklustre in terms of results and style of play, as I've said many times over the past few days are things actually that bad? Cast your mind back to the end of last season, in many games we were creating fvck all and we were having no shots on target. This season we've scored in the majority of our league games, we're actually creating chances and we're actually having shots on target, end of last season was much worse than it is now.

Right now this team isn't good enough to challenge top six, when fans talk of the prospect of that they are deluded. We are on par with the likes of Bournemouth, Everton, West Ham and Watford, nothing more. Like us though they are also teams who lack consistency and have lacklustre results here and there. Everton drew with Newcastle at home on Wednesday for example, Bournemouth got pasted 4-0 away to Burnley a few months ago. 

These se types of results are bound to happen but we are ninth in the league, we've scored 21 goals, of the teams around us only Bournemouth and West Ham have scored more.

Going back to the squad and his signings, like any other manager that's come before him there's been good and bad. He has made numerous positive signings though in terms of young talented players.

He's been forced into quite a few changes recently which doesn't help matters, I think it's been pretty clear that his preferred formation is 4-2-3-1 but he's been forced to experiment here and there due to many injuries.

We are inconsistent but so are the likes of Bournemouth, Everton, West Ham and Watford, inconsistency for us and those teams is the norm nowadays and it will probably be the norm for the rest of the season. We have lost six games so far, four of which came to Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs, in three of those games we actually put in a good performance. We have also lost to Bournemouth and Everton, the latter we shot ourselves in the foot with a red card.

We aren't as bad as some fans make out, like the teams around us we are nothing more than an inconsistent mid table team right now, we'll get good, we'll also get bad. When we start losing a handful of games to the relegation fodder teams then that's when I'll start questioning Puel.

I'm not gonna pretend to have read the whole thing but yeah, totally, good stuff. :D

I swear most of our fans just decided to hate Puel because Saints said he was boring. 

Everyone who complain about us going nowhere, do you see what’s happening?

We’re clearly transitioning from an aging squad built for defensive compactness and long balls to a young, dynamic ball-playing side.

Next season is when we can start to expect results, at the moment we’re over-achieving considering the players we have and what we’re trying to achieve. 

Just look at our team against Fulham, a right side of Morgan, Simpson and Albrighton, but a left side of Soyuncu, Chilwell and Gray. Get rid of some players in January, then the rest will leave in the summer with players such as Benkovic and Barnes returning to our squad. 

The future is bright, and this is the right way to go, he’s trying to build a squad that can challenge for top six. We’ve established ourselves as a Prem side, this is the right time to build something bigger.

• Like 3

Just now, Shaqq said:

I swear most of our fans just decided to hate Puel because Saints said he was boring. 

Everyone who complain about us going nowhere, do you see what’s happening?

We’re clearly transitioning from an aging squad built for defensive compactness and long balls to a young, dynamic ball-playing side.

Next season is when we can start to expect results, at the moment we’re over-achieving considering the players we have and what we’re trying to achieve. 

Just look at our team against Fulham, a right side of Morgan, Simpson and Albrighton, but a left side of Soyuncu, Chilwell and Gray. Get rid of some players in January, then the rest will leave in the summer with players such as Benkovic and Barnes returning to our squad. 

The future is bright, and this is the right way to go, he’s trying to build a squad that can challenge for top six. We’ve established ourselves as a Prem side, this is the right time to build something bigger.

But I love CP's Qualitee and Intensitee. I think our squad have a fantastic mentalitee. :D

Just now, Babylon said:

We've scored as many goals as Everton and have more shots per game than West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford. We've scored in all but two games, all of this "we don't create" stuff is a total fallacy. Outside the big teams (who create far more than us), we've got one of the highest "big chance" miss rates in the league. Vardy is in the top 5 players for missed big chances.

We are far from perfect, we have plenty of issues... but then so do most teams. Yes, in terms of entertainment it's lacking too often at the moment, but the way people go on you'd think we were utterly woeful.

As for rolling over against the big teams and not having ago, did we not have a go against Liverpool? Man U? Arsenal? Arsenal and Spurs end of last season? Probably some of the best football we've actually played IMO during those games and they all had to work hard for their victory. Saturday wasn't the norm in terms of performance against the big teams. Even if it ended in the same result, as it invariably almost always will.

Vardy used to have one of the best conversion rates in the league. Whats happened?

14 minutes ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

I mean, you can use those excuses for Harry. Vardy hardly played at the world cup.

Because he picked up a groin injury that doesn't seem to have fully recovered in the first knock out game, so again no proper preseason for him

Edited by The Doctor

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

The problem with the squad is that we're stuck in the middle of a transition stage, it's pretty evident that we could do with 2-3 more in attacking areas, when the summer transfer window comes around though we're probably looking at 10+ players leaving. Simpson, Fuchs and Okazaki will all probably leave, Iborra and Silva perhaps too, maybe one or two others of our usual matchday squad.

When it comes to us being lacklustre in terms of results and style of play, as I've said many times over the past few days are things actually that bad? Cast your mind back to the end of last season, in many games we were creating fvck all and we were having no shots on target. This season we've scored in the majority of our league games, we're actually creating chances and we're actually having shots on target, end of last season was much worse than it is now.

Right now this team isn't good enough to challenge top six, when fans talk of the prospect of that they are deluded. We are on par with the likes of Bournemouth, Everton, West Ham and Watford, nothing more. Like us though they are also teams who lack consistency and have lacklustre results here and there. Everton drew with Newcastle at home on Wednesday for example, Bournemouth got pasted 4-0 away to Burnley a few months ago. 

These se types of results are bound to happen but we are ninth in the league, we've scored 21 goals, of the teams around us only Bournemouth and West Ham have scored more.

Going back to the squad and his signings, like any other manager that's come before him there's been good and bad. He has made numerous positive signings though in terms of young talented players.

He's been forced into quite a few changes recently which doesn't help matters, I think it's been pretty clear that his preferred formation is 4-2-3-1 but he's been forced to experiment here and there due to many injuries.

We are inconsistent but so are the likes of Bournemouth, Everton, West Ham and Watford, inconsistency for us and those teams is the norm nowadays and it will probably be the norm for the rest of the season. We have lost six games so far, four of which came to Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs, in three of those games we actually put in a good performance. We have also lost to Bournemouth and Everton, the latter we shot ourselves in the foot with a red card.

We aren't as bad as some fans make out, like the teams around us we are nothing more than an inconsistent mid table team right now, we'll get good, we'll also get bad. When we start losing a handful of games to the relegation fodder teams then that's when I'll start questioning Puel.

Fair post and I agree with much of what you've said here. 

Only time well tell with regards to whether we will see any long term improvement of any sort, and I have said elsewhere that I wouldn't like to see Puel sacked immediately and that I will always support the team. I would reassess the situation at the end of the season, I think if the performances/results get noticeably worse (or don't improve) and we end up finishing in the bottom half, then I think that you could make quite a strong case for replacing him. However, I still think there is a warrant for criticism. 

I think the frustration from me and others mainly stems from a few things: 

- we aren't playing very entertaining football and have looked pretty poor in that respect under Puel in general, bar a couple of games or ten minute spells

- statistically speaking, we are making more passes per game but we aren't actually creating more chances as a result of this (when compared to first season back under Pearson, Ranieri's second season, or last season)

- even when we pick up points, we don't look convincing 

- we are close to competing for the 'best of the rest' title but we keep missing great opportunities to climb the table

- whilst the manager has been forced into making some changes, some he is accountable for (i.e starting Diabate/dropping Gray+Ricardo against Fulham when points were up for grabs, including James over King in the 25-man squad, setting up negatively at home without the personnel for playing on the break, continuing to play Nacho on his own when we all know it doesn't work, continuing to pair Ndidi and Mendy irrespective of their performances despite limited progress and his general tinkering during or in between matches which rarely seems to come off)

Of course, being inconsistent is almost a synonym for being a mid-table team and I'm sure there are some rebuttals to the complaints listed above. Yet I do worry that if 10th becomes our aim then we might find ourselves slipping down to 12th, and then 15th and before you know it we could be in a relegation dog fight, albeit perhaps not this season. I honestly think that a little more positivity and fight from Puel would go a long way to getting more fans on board. By that I don't mean calling journalists ostriches lol but by motivating the team and perhaps putting out more positive teams that demonstrate intent to push on.

On 09/12/2018 at 13:55, The Year Of The Fox said:

I thought he’d finally seen the light regarding Albrighton after his two performances against Watford and Fulham. 

But no

But Albrighton is a very high workrate player who cannot give you 90 mins twice a week at full intensity, time after time. We've all seen him hit the wall by 60mins, once in a while. I think he gives us more than some of the young uns/new guys, but I also think Puel has tried hard to get the new additions on the pitch to help them settle, and Marc has suffered in this period.

I also think this Xmas period demands rotation, and you can either start it early, or write off a few games in the middle.

Under Puel, missing a game is not necessarily a sign of disapproval, as we have seen in recent weeks with some of our top players. Maguire and Vards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oadby.fox said:

So would you lose faith in Puel if there isn't any significant improvement come January 2020?

I think that most fans agree that the squad could be improved but for me there are still big question marks over the man who's in charge of them, and if he is really a long term solution that meets with our long term aims. Getting the right squad is important and we do need changes, but how will we know when we have the 'right squad', or a squad good enough to criticise Puel and not just the lack of talent? As long as results and performances continue to be lacklustre then there will always be an argument about the squad not being talented enough to play "Puel's style", or good enough to consistently beat the worst teams in the league. I guess that question comes back to how much time is needed for a manager to shape the kind of squad he wants. I'd also be worried about seeing more Diabate/Ghezzal type signings in the future. 

As fans we have to try and disambigiuate the faults of the manager from the faults of the players and of the club in general. Puel has had two windows and in this time he has brought in (or overseen the transfers of) Diabate, Maddison, Soyuncu, Benkovic, Ricardo, Ghezzal, Ward and Evans. I think that's about enough to say that he has already had significant involvement with the selection of the current squad. He has also been here for over a year but has yet to find any cogent system for our players to fit into.

But for me it's really the bizarre team selections that grind my gears and the tepid attitude that is slowly being embedded into the club's mentality. Having said all this, I really hope he turns it around and can put something of a decent run together at some point this season, it will be unlikely to be until next year though at the very least and so be prepared for more doom and gloom in the weeks to come!

If he’s not got the squad fixed by then yes I’d advise we sack him.