Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bigboss204

Puel’s arrogance (or blindness).

13 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

You’re being short sighted, a lot of the FT faithful are. I can’t stress enough the time it will take to repair the damage done in the windows after winning the league. Our squad is a mess, it will take more than the time Puel has spent here to fix it, he needs another 3 windows. 

So would you lose faith in Puel if there isn't any significant improvement come January 2020?

I think that most fans agree that the squad could be improved but for me there are still big question marks over the man who's in charge of them, and if he is really a long term solution that meets with our long term aims. Getting the right squad is important and we do need changes, but how will we know when we have the 'right squad', or a squad good enough to criticise Puel and not just the lack of talent? As long as results and performances continue to be lacklustre then there will always be an argument about the squad not being talented enough to play "Puel's style", or good enough to consistently beat the worst teams in the league. I guess that question comes back to how much time is needed for a manager to shape the kind of squad he wants. I'd also be worried about seeing more Diabate/Ghezzal type signings in the future. 

As fans we have to try and disambigiuate the faults of the manager from the faults of the players and of the club in general. Puel has had two windows and in this time he has brought in (or overseen the transfers of) Diabate, Maddison, Soyuncu, Benkovic, Ricardo, Ghezzal, Ward and Evans. I think that's about enough to say that he has already had significant involvement with the selection of the current squad. He has also been here for over a year but has yet to find any cogent system for our players to fit into.

But for me it's really the bizarre team selections that grind my gears and the tepid attitude that is slowly being embedded into the club's mentality. Having said all this, I really hope he turns it around and can put something of a decent run together at some point this season, it will be unlikely to be until next year though at the very least and so be prepared for more doom and gloom in the weeks to come!

4 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

So would you lose faith in Puel if there isn't any significant improvement come January 2020?

Probably yes.

If there is no improvement whatsoever one year from now and no sign of improvement then questions as to what we are doing would need to be asked

Because 2 years of trying to turn around a seriously unbalanced squad is more of a reasonable time frame

1 year and 1 summer transfer window is not a reasonable time frame

• Like 4

20 hours ago, F1_AN said:

I was away for Watford but apparently gray played well.  Dropped. Evans did as well as anyone against arsenal. Dropped. He is so inconsistent in his approach to picking and dropping players. It’s ridiculous 

Nacho awful against Fulham. Stays in team. I could go on 

Gray didn't play well against Watford, he was our lowest rated player on here. You then seem to suggest he should have dropped Nacho, but the last time Okazaki started up front he was lambasted.

I don't like his sub decisions, although the players we have to change a game are often limited. He's made a few random calls for team selection, but I really think people make out his tinkering to be far more than it actually has been.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

I think that most fans agree that the squad could be improved but for me there are still big question marks over the man who's in charge of them, and if he is really a long term solution that meets with our long term aims. Getting the right squad is important and we do need changes, but how will we know when we have the 'right squad', or a squad good enough to criticise Puel and not just the lack of talent? As long as results and performances continue to be lacklustre then there will always be an argument about the squad not being talented enough to play "Puel's style", or good enough to consistently beat the worst teams in the league. I guess that question comes back to how much time is needed for a manager to shape the kind of squad he wants. I'd also be worried about seeing more Diabate/Ghezzal type signings in the future. 

As fans we have to try and disambigiuate the faults of the manager from the faults of the players and of the club in general. Puel has had two windows and in this time he has brought in (or overseen the transfers of) Diabate, Maddison, Soyuncu, Benkovic, Ricardo, Ghezzal, Ward and Evans. I think that's about enough to say that he has already had significant involvement with the selection of the current squad. He has also been here for over a year but has yet to find any cogent system for our players to fit into.

But for me it's really the bizarre team selections that grind my gears and the tepid attitude that is slowly being embedded into the club's mentality. Having said all this, I really hope he turns it around and can put something of a decent run together at some point this season, it will be unlikely to be until next year though at the very least and so be prepared for more doom and gloom in the weeks to come!

The likes of diabate were cheap buy for development sides. Ghezzal is more like a squad signing, considering he's signed after several failed deal for right winger. So far he has mixed games, sometimes good and bad so can't say its a real bad deal. 

Ricardo, madison, evans, benkovic, soyuncu, are really necessary signing as we need player in those position. Unfortunately, we can't just buy 11 player and sell 11 player in single transfer window. We tried to offload the likes of King, Slimani, Musa, which so far are take at least 1 season. So there's few areas we aren't able to strengthen due to squad size and wages (registration and ffp issues), which result us not buy like central midfield or striker for this january 

Ward, I still think he's too expensive for backup gk. 

I didn't need to wait until 2020 to lose faith in puel. I did saw the progress for our team, and currently believe with him because of the past track record of our team. We did win the league once and got hard time after. We keep spend on readily aged player like 28 years old silva, iborra, slimani, while keeping too many 30s yeard player like fuchs, simpson, vardy, Schmeichel, okazaki, Morgan in our first team. This won't be good as we don't have enough budget to keep buying player at peak age while those player, we can't keep too many of 30s in the same time or they will be struggle. In one or two year they will be aging and the younger one (around 22-24) will likely poached by bigger club. 

When puel come, he gradually replace the 30s with younger player. Those player will develop, and will sustain for some year. Also cheaper. With 50 mill for madison, and Ricardo instead of just sigurdson alone, which suit our budget more. 

Also after the title win, we are hovering towards relegation zone. Shakey come and quickly return with the old boy who will get struggle as soon as the bounce effect gone. 

It seems puel is the only coach so far, who are yet to taste relegation battle. All precious 3 coach got that battle. 

Unless we are going to relegation zone this season, didn't improved next season, or made a go at higher level coaches like Ancelotti, I will still believe with puel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hanan96 said:

The likes of diabate were cheap buy for development sides. Ghezzal is more like a squad signing, considering he's signed after several failed deal for right winger. So far he has mixed games, sometimes good and bad so can't say its a real bad deal. 

Ricardo, madison, evans, benkovic, soyuncu, are really necessary signing as we need player in those position. Unfortunately, we can't just buy 11 player and sell 11 player in single transfer window. We tried to offload the likes of King, Slimani, Musa, which so far are take at least 1 season. So there's few areas we aren't able to strengthen due to squad size and wages (registration and ffp issues), which result us not buy like central midfield or striker for this january 

Ward, I still think he's too expensive for backup gk. 

I didn't need to wait until 2020 to lose faith in puel. I did saw the progress for our team, and currently believe with him because of the past track record of our team. We did win the league once and got hard time after. We keep spend on readily aged player like 28 years old silva, iborra, slimani, while keeping too many 30s yeard player like fuchs, simpson, vardy, Schmeichel, okazaki, Morgan in our first team. This won't be good as we don't have enough budget to keep buying player at peak age while those player, we can't keep too many of 30s in the same time or they will be struggle. In one or two year they will be aging and the younger one (around 22-24) will likely poached by bigger club. 

When puel come, he gradually replace the 30s with younger player. Those player will develop, and will sustain for some year. Also cheaper. With 50 mill for madison, and Ricardo instead of just sigurdson alone, which suit our budget more. 

Also after the title win, we are hovering towards relegation zone. Shakey come and quickly return with the old boy who will get struggle as soon as the bounce effect gone. 

It seems puel is the only coach so far, who are yet to taste relegation battle. All precious 3 coach got that battle. 

Unless we are going to relegation zone this season, didn't improved next season, or made a go at higher level coaches like Ancelotti, I will still believe with puel

Danny Ward Kept Us In The Cup! I'd rather play him than KS against Man City.

• Like 1

The dissatisfaction with Puel by some supporters follows the dissatisfaction shown at some time with every manager we've had, including MON, Pearson and Ranieri.  We can look back at other eras with longing but it has never been good all of the time.

We all want City to win every game and play wonderful football all the time but realistically that's not going to happen.  

No-one on this forum has as much knowledge about the team and it's players than the manager.  If anyone thinks they could do a better job then they are free to apply for the position.  In the meantime the owners have a vision for the future of our club which we should all be grateful for - I'm backing them and whatever decisions they make to take us through that journey, including their choice of manager.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hanan96 said:

Yes I know, I just felt he's bit overpriced. Not really bad ones. 

1 hour ago, Hanan96 said:

Yes I know, I just felt he's bit overpriced. Not really bad ones. 

What was he? £12M. Hardly anything for a good goalkeeper in today's transfer market.

@Crinklyfox don't do that, please, don't do the "you're not allowed to criticise unless you could do better" stuff otherwise we might as well close the site. Every magazine reviewing anything from music to sport to film might as well give up n'all while we're at it.

People have every right to be dissatisfied with the manager, I doubt the board are overly delighted with him. 

At the end of the day, I've come to terms with the fact I don't think I think he's either a particularly good or bad manager, he's just bang average. 

I don't think we'll ever really be at risk of relegation with him in charge, I don't think we'll ever go much backwards with him in charge, I think we'll have some exciting games and some crap games, we'll win some and lose some. 

But I also don't think we'll ever threaten the top seven with him at the helm and I think it's pretty clear that's the vision from the owners and what they've promised the fans. We've spent enough to be pushing for that, off and on the pitch, so what people ultimately want to see is progress. 

You're never really going to get progress with CP, you're going to get stability and that's more than half the clubs in the league have and it's enough for a lot of our fans - especially older fans who haven't really had any top flight stability since MON and even before that there was none. 

But don't lose patience with our more optimistic fans who are still dreaming of another European tour and a desire to be the "best of the rest" because we've clearly got the resources to achieve it and its a completely fair ambition for our club to have. It's also completely fair to have given up achieving it with the current management who excel at solid but unspectacular. 

• Like 2

Adrien Silva has been frozen out since United away pretty much (which remains our best PERFORMANCE of the season). He was instrumental getting the ball to maddison between the lines and dictating things. I can only presume he isn't settled and wants to go back to Portugal. He is yet to get a PROPER chance here, a run of games in a balanced side.

Puel has a lot of good points, but I find myself coming to the same conclusions as I did in the summer: He won't ever be a success here because he has fundamental problems with motivating players, ensuring concentration for 90 minutes and struggles when it comes to matchday tactical decisions. You can have all the qualities in the world, but if those are your weaknesses, you are going to struggle.

I also don't think it helps that his natural persona and style of play is quite dull. We are a fanbase that craves excitement because of what happened in 2016. I don't think Puel is ever going to bring us that excitement.

He was never the right fit for this club and we should have really made a change in the summer.

• Like 1

In some ways I admire Puel for his singlemindness and clarity of vision. It would have been very easy last season to revert back to Vardyball and it probably would have won us some more points, but by  sticking to his guns and principles we are probably better prepared for Puel-ball now than we would have been...

...but I am not a fan Puel-ball and it isn't really working and whilst we look good in fits and starts the opposition quickly work us out, isolate Maddison and we lack any creativity in the middle, pressure Ndidi and Morgan and they will either make a mistake or go backwards. 

We don't really have the players for it and it has been individual moments/mistakes by opposition that have won us games and not well executed Puel-ball creating good chances whilst dominating games and possession. It is clear we have a talented squad but we are not getting the best out of it, if anything we are going backwards. Last season we were dominating possession limiting chances and creating good ones ourselves, but we were unlucky in a number of games. This season has been a bit of a mess from start to finish, our season has been littered with red cards, penalties and injuries (on both sides) disrupting a lot of games and also the tragic death of Vichai. So I don't really know where we are, but I am not seeing the progress I hoped under Puel and I feel like we are closer to turning to shite than turning a corner, despite those 6 games unbeaten. Maybe January will come at just the right time and we will sign that missing piece.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Puel has a lot of good points, but I find myself coming to the same conclusions as I did in the summer: He won't ever be a success here because he has fundamental problems with motivating players, ensuring concentration for 90 minutes and struggles when it comes to matchday tactical decisions. You can have all the qualities in the world, but if those are your weaknesses, you are going to struggle.

I also don't think it helps that his natural persona and style of play is quite dull. We are a fanbase that craves excitement because of what happened in 2016. I don't think Puel is ever going to bring us that excitement.

He was never the right fit for this club and we should have really made a change in the summer.

Define success? Isn't 9th in the premier league a point off 7th a relative success compared to the rest of our history. The club, who will be far more interested in safety and profit than they ever will be exciting football would call that a success, especially given the surgery he's having to perform on the squad. Being realistic, 7th is about our ceiling without larger investment. Would people think it was a success if we'd finished one of our 22 shots against Burnley and were a point ahead of Everton?

29 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Exactly this.

People bang on about giving him time and “who would you play instead”. Are you pleased with the progression since the start of the season?

The point i tried to make is that we have more attacking options available now that he just refuses and is fixed on this depressingly boring rigid setup.

Play Iheanacho and Okazaki together instead of throwing Iheanacho under the bus. We were at home for god sake, give it a go. 

How many of the top 7 teams have defensively minded managers? Zero. Puel is not the man to take Leicester forward. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Danny Simpson. One of the worst players I’ve seen. How he’s managed to make millions as a footballer I’ll never know. 

Being an integral part of a premiership winning side wouldn't have done his bank balance any harm.

3 successful seasons of pretty much ever present.

Obviously room for improvement and managing to get the best, but fair to say he's a more successful player than Puel is a manager

32 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Danny Simpson. One of the worst players I’ve seen. How he’s managed to make millions as a footballer I’ll never know. 

Just be glad you didn't see him in 2015/16. He was really shit all season. 1/10 in all 30 league appearances...............

Get a grip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

I cant understand the critism if simpson.  He is past his best now. In the championship season he was magnificent. .... each time huff and wes beaten he made the tackle.  He was/is a jobbing player ....yes.  He prooved alot wrong with that one season 

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Define success? Isn't 9th in the premier league a point off 7th a relative success compared to the rest of our history. The club, who will be far more interested in safety and profit than they ever will be exciting football would call that a success, especially given the surgery he's having to perform on the squad. Being realistic, 7th is about our ceiling without larger investment. Would people think it was a success if we'd finished one of our 22 shots against Burnley and were a point ahead of Everton?

Well, the owners have often spoken about European qualification and 6th/7th is feasible. I would deem that success. I deem 9th as underachieving if we are still some way off 6th/7th, especially when you look at some of the other teams that have and will finish around those places.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

Give Puel until the summer because we know he won’t take us down and the young players will get more experience, then once the deadwood of the squad is cleared get rid of Puel and bring in a new manager and some proven quality players with him.

We can't keep sacking our managers when the form of the SQUAD starts to dip. We'd end up with a new one every friggin month.