Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Racism in Football

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Mate there is a huge difference between assuming someone is a moron because they are shouting racist abuse at a footballer, making fun of someone because they talk funny (still unkind and not something I would do) and racism.  X

Have you actually read that link?

10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Have you actually read that link?

Not at all.  I tend to react quickly and wildly without really thinking.  I just read it now and yeah, I still think you are digging yourself into an unnecessary hole by trying to compare people assuming Chelsea fans are thick and racism.  Unless I have misunderstood your point in which case I apologise.  X

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Not at all.  I tend to react quickly and wildly without really thinking.  I just read it now and yeah, I still think you are digging yourself into an unnecessary hole by trying to compare people assuming Chelsea fans are thick and racism.  Unless I have misunderstood your point in which case I apologise.  X

No, it was a point about racism being a part of human prejudice, which it is, according to wiki, whereas a previous poster was saying there’s a big difference between racism and prejudice.

30 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

No, it was a point about racism being a part of human prejudice, which it is, according to wiki, whereas a previous poster was saying there’s a big difference between racism and prejudice.

I think it was more your definition of slagging those fans of as being prejudice he was having a go at though I may be wrong.  Someone assuming all Chelsea fans are stupid is prejudice.  Someone assuming the Chelsea fans that shouted racist abuse at a young man taking a corner in front of 10s of cameras are stupid is not prejudice but an observation based upon empirical evidence.  He may be wrong, they may be very clever guys but I think your post came across more that you were comparing the two than simply defining what racism is in which case fair enough.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/antonio-ruediger-champions-league-soccer-racism-chelsea

Excellent article from Rudiger. Apologies if posted elsewhere on this forum.

As a visible minority i can relate to some of his words and understand exactly how he feels and everything he says/speaks too.

Excellent read, not sure he was in a lot of our fans good books but what happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch. This is bigger than football

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am currently studying for my MSc in Crime, justice and psychology at university of Leicester. For my dissertation I am conducting research into how fans view racism in football and the impact of black lives matter and players taking a knee.

I am therefore asking if anyone over the age of 18 years old if you would kindly complete the anonymous online survey I have created. The link for the survey is - 

https://leicester.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/how-football-fans-view-racism-within-football-3

It is a short survey and should take around 5-10 minutes. The survey is completely anonymous. I am grateful for your time and effort if you could kindly complete the survey for my research.

Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I see Chelsea figure in the last post in this thread. I am not surprised.

Anybody else seen the article on the BBC website this morning about sectarian abuse aimed by a Chelsea supporter at the Aston Villa footballer John McGinn, a Scot and I would think a Catholic. John McGinn's grandfather was once chairman of Celtic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58552147

Chelsea have had a few morons for a long time, who identify with fellow idiots north of the border who follow Rangers.

Chelsea also have a reputation for some of their more unsavoury supporters who have been active in neo-nazi organisations from the National Front in the 1970s to the BNP today.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Good discussion here. 

Finger should be pointed at the referee, Italian FA and the fans, and not the onus on Lukaku 'not to react'. It's a celebration he does all the time anyway, so I don't understand how the Italian FA continued to back the referee. Henry made a good point saying 'okay, ref made a mistake on the pitch', the FA can rectify that.

Also like Christina's response at the end; take the context and situation into account and don't give a player another booking for responding to racism from fans, take the 'punishment' in the assessment afterwards as she would stand up for what she believes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Good discussion here. 

Finger should be pointed at the referee, Italian FA and the fans, and not the onus on Lukaku 'not to react'. It's a celebration he does all the time anyway, so I don't understand how the Italian FA continued to back the referee. Henry made a good point saying 'okay, ref made a mistake on the pitch', the FA can rectify that.

Also like Christina's response at the end; take the context and situation into account and don't give a player another booking for responding to racism from fans, take the 'punishment' in the assessment afterwards as she would stand up for what she believes. 

Think in a roundabout way Richards made a good point too, that this is a celebration Lukaku does most weeks, but he was sent off in the context of what the crowd were doing. So basically the ref is aware of the abuse, and is saying that celebration is fine if you're not getting racially abused but it isn't if you are. Which is a ridiculous stand to take.

• Like 2