Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Racism in Football

Despite the 'Kick It Out' campaign being in force for 21 years now, the above problem sadly very much still exists - with two incidents occurring in the UK in the game at the weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46498849

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46500299

Banning the individuals for a few seasons/years/life who make such comments etc may well serve good purpose from doing again, but it appears that this is becoming more of a society issue in the sport than the authorities had initially thought.

The game will obviously get many negative attacks from the media etc from these incidents and the games' failure to stop this from happening, but this problem is down to individuals actions (ie. football fans) that may well occur again that is quite difficult to detect beforehand imo.

• Like 1

The video where Sterling goes for the ball for the corner and there's about 4 Chelsea fans abusing him is awful.

I'm glad he put out a video about newspapers fuelling it. He's right. It's the same old newspapers too.

• Like 3

From the video I saw, I thought the bloke was saying 'Manc' ****. But if Sterling has said it was 'Black', then he should be banned for life from all football grounds.

I don't think racism is as rife as is being made out, but it obviously does happen.

As for the newspaper articles, it's appalling the way they've treated Sterling, and the difference in headlines for the two young Man City scarlets.

The worst thing for me about the Sterling incident is that there's actually a black fan in the video standing smiling as the white dudes shout "You black c#nt" to Sterling.

Not hammering the black bloke as I've been in situations like this and unless your mob handed it's hard to turn round to such people and tell them to pipe down

Sterling acted impeccably. We can hammer players from the stands but NOT about colour...it's just not on. And if these players give it back to you- take it..don't cry.

Hope these "men" get a good ban and hope their working environment was watching too. Be great if they work with a few black lads...I'm sure they'll get a nice reception!!!!

• Like 3

Guest bennytwohats

There is a good article on Sterling on football365:

https://www.football365.com/news/f365s-early-losers-those-who-still-abuse-raheem-sterling

their historic coverage of him has been has been very good also and they regularly point out the inconsistent press coverage he gets relative to most other white players.

I hope that as a club we can do better when City roll up to our ground, it would be nice to see him given some support when his name is read out to be honest. My worry is the constant bad coverage by the likes of the Sun/Mail has convinced a lot of people that he deserved to be hated which seems to manifest itself without people even thinking. I’ll be sad to see that happen at ours.

33 minutes ago, Raj said:

The worst thing for me about the Sterling incident is that there's actually a black fan in the video standing smiling as the white dudes shout "You black c#nt" to Sterling.

Not hammering the black bloke as I've been in situations like this and unless your mob handed it's hard to turn round to such people and tell them to pipe down

Sterling acted impeccably. We can hammer players from the stands but NOT about colour...it's just not on. And if these players give it back to you- take it..don't cry.

Hope these "men" get a good ban and hope their working environment was watching too. Be great if they work with a few black lads...I'm sure they'll get a nice reception!!!!

That guy's just been interviewed on the telly saying he couldn't hear what was said from where he was. He wasn't saying it didn't happen though

12 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Unforgivable. 

No need to bring a person's race into it. Race doesn't dictate character. 

Don't agree, some of the greatest black people ever have taken their inspiration and become the person they were because of their race, Ali, Bob Marley, Mandela, jesse owens

The most disturbing thing in the video is these are grown men, adults, probably fathers. To be screaming in someone's face like that for playing football is just pathetic. Chanting and winding people up as a crowd is one thing but lean into them and scream at them is not normal behaviour. Add in using racist insults and it is just beyond pathetic. I hope every one of them on that video feel ashamed and embarrassed by their actions being all over online and print and media and it makes people think twice before abusing and intimidating someone just for playing football.

Edited by Captain...

Chelsea have always been a club with racist fans, remember that C18 malarkey, yet have been the darlings of football, lauded by the media and the powers that be in football. The only way to stop it is to dock them points or boot them out of the premier division. Fines won't make any difference and nor will banning a few fans. Will it happen?, never in a million years. But there again, what was that all about against spurs the other night. Yid Army! Yid Yid Yid!. Should that be allowed? It all seems a bit two faced.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/xd5n8a/chelseas-racist-hooligan-diaspora-091

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Chelsea have always been a club with racist fans, remember that C18 malarkey, yet have been the darlings of football, lauded by the media and the powers that be in football. The only way to stop it is to dock them points or boot them out of the premier division. Fines won't make any difference and nor will banning a few fans. Will it happen?, never in a million years. But there again, what was that all about against spurs the other night. Yid Army! Yid Yid Yid!. Should that be allowed? It all seems a bit two faced.

The Yid army thing has been a bone of contention for a while now, Tottenham identify as a Jewish club and have claimed that chant as their own to stop others using it against them. IIRC the FA did declare it to be racist and fans chanting it would be banned, but it is so widespread that there is nothing they can really do about it. I'm not sure if Spurs have commented on the chant themselves, but the fans do not see it as racist as they do not mean it disrespectfully.

Just now, Captain... said:

The Yid army thing has been a bone of contention for a while now, Tottenham identify as a Jewish club and have claimed that chant as their own to stop others using it against them. IIRC the FA did declare it to be racist and fans chanting it would be banned, but it is so widespread that there is nothing they can really do about it. I'm not sure if Spurs have commented on the chant themselves, but the fans do not see it as racist as they do not mean it disrespectfully.

I know the history behind it, but should it be allowed? is it not using the race card to wind up the opposition. 

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I know the history behind it, but should it be allowed? is it not using the race card to wind up the opposition. 

As I said the FA have said it is racist, and Jewish councils have also said it is racist, but it is hard to do something when 30,000 people are chanting it.

12 minutes ago, Captain... said:

As I said the FA have said it is racist, and Jewish councils have also said it is racist, but it is hard to do something when 30,000 people are chanting it.

Dock em points or boot them out the league, or at the very least overturn Saturdays result.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Don't agree, some of the greatest black people ever have taken their inspiration and become the person they were because of their race, Ali, Bob Marley, Mandela, jesse owens

You make a compelling point. I need some time to think about this. 

18 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Chelsea fans shoved that lad off the Paris Metro and sang something racist, didn’t they?  :rolleyes:

I would have been stunned, ten years ago, if you’d told me we’d have a banana thrown on the pitch one week and racist abuse the next, with the leader of a right wing racist party on the march in London today.

As a country we have regressed.  

You can’t help but think that the politics and divisions of recent years have emboldened those who think in that way.

I saw the video to that recently.

****ing idiots actually sung "we're racist, we're racist, we're racist and that's the way we like it, we like it we like it".

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately it happens at home too, A few guys behind us in the stadium last season (complete tossers in general) shouted Black c*** at an opposition player, we turned back to look at them in disgust only for the man too say sarcastically "ooops pardon my french", we complained to the club who said they'd keep an eye on them but nothing ever happened. The worst thing about it is the group have 2 young boys with them, I dread to think how they'll grow up with complete pr*** for fathers. 

More needs to be done too stamp out racism but unfortunately ignorance is so common these days.

The press particularly the tabloid press have a responsibility in the way they report things as highlighted by Sterling himself. the press can fuel things or add petrol to an already inflamed situation as we have seen in many cases. they can distort or portray stories in a way that generates stories negatively or positively.

9 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

But there again, what was that all about against spurs the other night. Yid Army! Yid Yid Yid!. Should that be allowed? It all seems a bit two faced.

It’s all double standards,

spurs say they pride themselves on there Jewish following yet chant yids,

if we chanted that at them we would be racists,

same as when one black man refers to another an nig##r,

because it’s a black person saying it,

its ok but if a white person said it,

it’s racist,

yet it’s such disgusting degrading language that simply shouldn’t be said whatever the context 

Edited by Russell sprout