Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

9 minutes ago, 80's fox said:

Liverpool finished 2nd in Rogers 2nd season. 

Liverpool under Klopp have not finished higher than 4th.

Prior to Rogers they finished 7th, 6th and 8th. 

All managers have to undo someone's mess. Otherwise that manager would still be there. 

Puel is still trying to undo Ranieri and Shakespeare's mess, does that give more time and respect. 

Is Ranieri a failure because he got sacked at Leicester? 

All of it is subjective and you can spin it any way to suit your point.

Whatever you wish to say, Rogers has still finished higher than Klopp in the league. 

A high number of managers get sacked, even the best ones. Does it mean that they are bad managers? No. 

We are Leicester City, and his management philosophy fits what we are trying to do. He isn't perfect, if he was we would have no chance anyway. 

Rogers may have finished higher than Klopp.  But Rogers < Klopp, no doubt

Also Klopp is looking like winning the league against this Man City team we have atm which is very impressive (even if he doesnt win, still pushing them as hard as possible)

Also CL final

But apart from any of that.... Klopp  > Rogers

And the suggestion that Rogers laid the foundation for what Klopp has done there is complete bollocks

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Purely because he had a genuinely world class Suarez on hand. But, he wasn't a good manager for them and most Liverpool fans wouldn't give him any credit for their current status like you did. 

Guys a David Brent wannabe and not that good. Getting rid of Puel for him would not be an improvement

So what your saying is they finished 2nd purely down to Suarez being world class 

wasn’t so world class in his first two seasons under Dalglish though was he 

quite the opposite 

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Puel is a good manager and if you try to argue he isn't you're just being cantankerous. He's done a good job pretty much everywhere he's been and trying to convince us Southampton finishing 8th in the prem and making a cup final is piss easy won't work. he was excellent at Monaco, Lille, Lyon and Nice too.

btw Celtic have had it very easy for most of Rodgers' reign except in the CL and how anyone can argue that Liverpool at any time shouldn't be top 5 is ludicrous.

But why would he want to leave a nice job at Celtic with CL football to get battered around in mid table in the prem (and then sacked)?

What is the hang up with post match interviews. Every winning manager and every losing manager says exactly the same thing. And it's all crud.

I agree, he's good enough to have us fighting for 7th to 11th. So why sack Puel who is over a year into rebuilding the team?

Spot on points. For me Celtic is not a good measure of a manager, especially with Rangers not being around during most of Rodger's tenure.

Neil Lennon has also managed Celtic, but hasn't exactly set the world alight in any his other jobs and I doubt anyone would want him managing here, even being one of our most popular ever past players.

As for any new manager, I've posted the below in other posts: 

We need a manager with these 10 qualities:

1) Must have won a league title.

2) Must have managed a team in a domestic cup finals, a European trophy win, and a champions league S/F.

3) Never been relegated or in the relegation zone.

4) Must replace aging players with youth.

5) Must improve those same youth players dramatically.

6) Must get several of those youth players selected by the national team.

7) Must do all this whilst losing your best ever player.

8) Must cope with all this whilst having to deal with the tragic loss of a much loved owner.

9) Must have finished in the top 10 of the P/L in each season.

10) And deal with having little respect, support or appreciation from fans.

Now if ONLY we could find such a man.

But I doubt there is anyone out there who will come to Leicester City with these qualifications.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThaiFox said:

Spot on points. For me Celtic is not a good measure of a manager, especially with Rangers not being around during most of Rodger's tenure.

Neil Lennon has also managed Celtic, but hasn't exactly set the world alight in any his other jobs and I doubt anyone would want him managing here, even being one of our most popular ever past players.

2) Must have managed a team in a domestic cup finals, a European trophy win, and a champions league S/F.

8) Must cope with all this whilst having to deal with the tragic loss of a much loved owner.

But I doubt there is anyone out there who will come to Leicester City with these qualifications.

I remember a video where someone interviewed Arsenal fans with a similar type of list.  They all responded  'gerrimin' and then the list turned out to describe Wenger

Not saying getting rid of Wenger was right or wrong, but Arsenal are still the same old ****ing Arsenal underneath Emery

Problems go beyond managers more than many on here like to admit

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Rodgers has won a title and finished in the Top 10 in the premier league... 

5 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Rogers may have finished higher than Klopp.  But Rogers < Klopp, no doubt

Also Klopp is looking like winning the league against this Man City team we have atm which is very impressive (even if he doesnt win, still pushing them as hard as possible)

Also CL final

But apart from any of that.... Klopp  > Rogers

And the suggestion that Rogers laid the foundation for what Klopp has done there is complete bollocks

Klopp has spent about 400 million on a team that was nearly winning the league, how can you say that isn’t a foundation

Rodgers Buys coutinho 8.5m

klopp sells for 140m 

helps with the offset of spending 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Klopp has spent about 400 million on a team that was nearly winning the league, how can you say that isn’t a foundation

Rodgers Buys coutinho 8.5m

klopp sells for 140m 

helps with the offset of spending 

Rogers also put Sturrigde on a massive contract and planned to build the team around him

Swings and roundabouts

Just now, HankMarvin said:

So what your saying is they finished 2nd purely down to Suarez being world class 

wasn’t so world class in his first two seasons under Dalglish though was he 

quite the opposite 

Being a better manager than Dalglish, who'd been out of the sport for nigh on 15 years at that point, is not an achievement. Bear in mind as well Rodgers finished 7th, 2nd, 6th - based on his entire reign the second place finish was the outlier.

Rodgers was not a good manager at Liverpool and you'd struggle to find fans who would go along with the claim that he built the platform than Klopp is working off - particularly when we look at his signings: Borini, Allen, Assaidi, Coutinho, Sturridge, Alberto, Aspas, Minoglet, Toure, Illori, Sahko, Lambert, Lallana, Can, Markovic, Origi, Lovren, Moreno, Ballotelli.  Of those, only Coutinho and Can have left for better things, only Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Lovren and Minoglet are left and none of the first three are first choice, the latter two are jokes and weak links. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Where is his title? Scotland?  Some people dont accept Puel's success in France means anything so feck that

Top 10 with Liverpool!!!

Puel has done it with Leicester after picking them up from near relegation zone halfway through

Looks like he could do it again after we sold our Suarez

Puel > Rogers

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Where is his title? Scotland?  People dont accept Puel's success in France so feck that

Top 10 with Liverpool!!!

Puel has done it with Leicester

Puel > Rogers

I am looking at Rogers premier league record which is a damn site better than Puel’s? I know Puel has won a league title in France. Imo Rogers is better than Puel.

Rodgers premier league is 47% percent win ratio, comfortably a step up on Puel’s 37%

Edited by Happy Fox

2 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Rogers also put Sturrigde on a massive contract and planned to build the team around him

Swings and roundabouts

Yeah also bought 

firminho for about 24m who is valued at over 5 times that now.

lovern

milner

Lallana

gomez

some pretty solid foundations 5 odd years later

Just now, Happy Fox said:

I am looking at Rogers premier league record which is a damn site better than Puel’s? I know Puel has won a league title in France. Imo Rogers is better than Puel.

With Liverpool

Thats fine if you believe that and it may well be true.  But the points you use to support your argument arent right.  If anything they negate it

3 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Not very difficult when you manage Liverpool, is it?

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Yes, with Celtic. 

He also had Watford and Reading in the relegation zones.

Plus some terrible signings for Liverpool, and take away his 2nd place finish they didn't set the world alight. 

Yeah also bought 

firminho for about 24m who is valued at over 5 times that now.

lovern

milner

Lallana

gomez

some pretty solid foundations 5 odd years later

Firmino was ayoung player who has developer and yes, great buy. We have done the same under Puel

Lovren is s***

Milner is awesome, fair enough

Gomez also complete youth who has just stepped up

We'll be able to say exactly the same sort of stuff about Puel in a couple of years and you know it

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Being a better manager than Dalglish, who'd been out of the sport for nigh on 15 years at that point, is not an achievement. Bear in mind as well Rodgers finished 7th, 2nd, 6th - based on his entire reign the second place finish was the outlier.

Rodgers was not a good manager at Liverpool and you'd struggle to find fans who would go along with the claim that he built the platform than Klopp is working off - particularly when we look at his signings: Borini, Allen, Assaidi, Coutinho, Sturridge, Alberto, Aspas, Minoglet, Toure, Illori, Sahko, Lambert, Lallana, Can, Markovic, Origi, Lovren, Moreno, Ballotelli.  Of those, only Coutinho and Can have left for better things, only Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Lovren and Minoglet are left and none of the first three are first choice, the latter two are jokes and weak links. 

Firminiho not doing too bad is he 

2 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Firmino was ayoung player who has developer and yes, great buy. We have done the same under Puel

Lovren is s***

Milner is awesome, fair enough

Gomez also complete youth who has just stepped up

We'll be able to say exactly the same sort of stuff about Puel in a couple of years and you know it

No credit for spotting Gomez then just a lucky youth player that developed 

i think the original point was Rodgers didn’t lay the foundations for what has been achieved.

regardless of what you stay about lovern he was their first choice prior to VVD arrival under kloop 

Edited by HankMarvin

He gets credit for that, sure.

But Klopp has transformed that team and its taken a good 2 years or so

As I said, in a few years one could make the exact same argument about Puel and some of his players here

Especially when Diabate starts to light the world up :ph34r:

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

From what I read on here, Puel gets just as little credit by our fans for the huge improvements of our youngsters, with Chilwell, Gray, Maddison, all being selected by England.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

He gets credit for that, sure.

But Klopp has transformed that team and its taken a good 2 years or so

As I said, in a few years one could make the exact same argument about Puel and some of his players here

Especially when Diabate starts to light the world up :ph34r:

Transformed it with 400m since 2015