Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

11 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Rogers also put Sturrigde on a massive contract and planned to build the team around him

Swings and roundabouts

To be fair he did that when Sturrigde was the best striker in the league behind Suarez and you can only say this with the benefit of hindsight.

If Sturridge kept up that level of form and didnt get injured then it would have been a blinder of a decision.

• Like 1

Just now, HankMarvin said:

Transformed it with 400m since 2015

Meh, its what top teams do.  He's created a team that continues to challenge against an extremely stacked Man City.  And with distinctive style no less.  I dont think Klopp's achievement at Liverpool can be diminished tbh

Except for Karius.  Dont know wtf that was all about

1 minute ago, ThaiFox said:

From what I read on here, Puel gets just as little credit by our fans for the huge improvements of our youngsters, with Chilwell, Gray, Maddison, all being selected by England.

We are talking about transfers 

he was brought from Charlton with barely many games.

not a stand out player that had been raved about such as Maddison.

or a highly rated left back Liverpool had tried to buy that was a member of the under 21 team

plus Gray has not improved 

2 minutes ago, Dames said:

To be fair he did that when Sturrigde was the best striker in the league behind Suarez and you can only say this with the benefit of hindsight.

If Sturridge kept up that level of form and didnt get injured then it would have been a blinder of a decision.

Well, yeah. But he didnt, he did, and it wasnt.  And Rogers got sacked

Seems like he didnt manage to maintain results without a star player being ridiculously good

Puel has managed it when he lost his star player with Leicester

• Like 1

I'd be really sceptical of Rogers or any manager that has spent a significant period in Scotland. Having lived up there the quality of football is pretty dire.

Also - now that Gerrard is on the scene with Rangers, Celtic are just completely shitting the bed. It's not inconceivable that they finish behind Rangers, Killies and Aberdeen. Which would be nothing but disaster for the club. 

Just now, HankMarvin said:

We are talking about transfers 

he was brought from Charlton with barely many games.

not a stand out player that had been raved about such as Maddison.

or a highly rated left back Liverpool had tried to buy that was a member of the under 21 team

plus Gray has not improved 

Gray improved considerably until his ankle injury and was selected by England.

What about Barnes, Hamza?

Maddison was a Championship player, which as we have seen many times, does not always mean they will make the huge step up to the P/L.

Whatever we think on Puel, no-one can say he hasn't improved our younger players (except Nacho).

• Like 3

I’d definitely take him in the summer if we fail to qualify for Europe this season. 

However, if Claude manages to finish 7th than I think he’s earned the right to continue developing his side. 

Like said repeatedly, we have a long term strategy in place, with a manager and owner that are willing and able to see it through. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

Why’s this hot, what’s happening? 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8203519/leicester-brendan-rodgers-replace-claude-puel/

Advisers close to son and successor Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha have indicated if Puel is dumped Rodgers would be the prime target.

• Sad 1

I have no idea what is going on with BR but I would make this point about the current season 

IF the players believe that Brendan is not there next season then their performance will waiver .... it’s what happens ... remember Man City announced pellegrini was leaving the week before we beat them ... they were almost top and they ended up struggling to get CL in the end. As soon as players stop believing in the manager then they stop listening and stop making as much effort - generalisation but mostly true  

I imagine a similar thing is going on at our club and the inconsistency of performance levels shows it ....

so so to pass comments on him re the Celtic team situation this campaign may be unfair 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PoshhFox said:

Gerrard who has never managed a team before is giving him a run for his money, albeit in the SPL but still....

Let’s not take into account his net spend over the last 3 seasons is about minus -5m

Anytime they have a good player he gets sold:

they cant keep players from Championship clubs. Let’s not expect world beaters 

32 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I remember a video where someone interviewed Arsenal fans with a similar type of list.  They all responded  'gerrimin' and then the list turned out to describe Wenger

Not saying getting rid of Wenger was right or wrong, but Arsenal are still the same old ****ing Arsenal underneath Emery

Problems go beyond managers more than many on here like to admit

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Well, yeah. But he didnt, he did, and it wasnt.  And Rogers got sacked

Seems like he didnt manage to maintain results without a star player being ridiculously good

Puel has managed it when he lost his star player with Leicester

My point is that its easy to say that now events have happened but at the time he tied down his star player to a long term contract which shouldnt be used as a stick to beat him with, its a sign of good management.

Look at it this way - if Puel managed to tie down Mahrez to a new contract at the end of last season you'd be using that in all the defences you make for him, regardless of loss of form/injury.

7 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Gray improved considerably until his ankle injury and was selected by England.

What about Barnes, Hamza?

Maddison was a Championship player, which as we have seen many times, does not always mean they will make the huge step up to the P/L.

Whatever we think on Puel, no-one can say he hasn't improved our younger players (except Nacho).

Gray was wanted for 25 to 30m by Bournemouth a Cple of seasons ago

you think he has improved at we would get anywhere near that?

not sure why you are sticking Barnes on there, he was sent on loan and his form couldn’t really be ignored with the crap on display such as Ghezzal

Maddison was highly rated and constantly linked with spurs and Everton.

he finished the season with 14 goals 8 assists.

He stood out.

your comparison is to Joe Gomez who many pundits say will go on to be Liverpool’s best defender was spotted after 16 games aged 16.

Hamza I will concede looks like a good spot.

58 minutes ago, 80's fox said:

Liverpool finished 2nd in Rogers 2nd season. 

Liverpool under Klopp have not finished higher than 4th.

Prior to Rogers they finished 7th, 6th and 8th. 

All managers have to undo someone's mess. Otherwise that manager would still be there. 

Puel is still trying to undo Ranieri and Shakespeare's mess, does that give more time and respect. 

Is Ranieri a failure because he got sacked at Leicester? 

All of it is subjective and you can spin it any way to suit your point.

Whatever you wish to say, Rogers has still finished higher than Klopp in the league. 

A high number of managers get sacked, even the best ones. Does it mean that they are bad managers? No. 

We are Leicester City, and his management philosophy fits what we are trying to do. He isn't perfect, if he was we would have no chance anyway. 

Part of Puel's problem at the moment.  But our recruitment team escape the daily roasting Puel's receives.

So according to some on here - Just managing Celtic (his boyhood club btw) is a negative? 

I can see the argument for it being irrelevant i.e his successes there don't mean much, which I actually agree with but not a negative purely for working there. 

Yes you could argue his team is going through a bad patch now but 7 consecutive trophies is it?..and probably more this season. Hardly shows he has been a failure - although as said, certainly doesn't deserve any real credit either. 

Same people also suggesting that it was 100% down to to Suarez for being a slip away from Liverpool winning their first title in how many years?! Behave! Again, maybe he doesn't deserve huge credit, but he certainly should get some credit and it not seen as a negative like many are suggesting.

He isn't perfect for sure and no doubt has some flaws, mainly his Brent-isms but he really does tick a lot of the boxes as others have pointed out. 

I think we are a good fit in terms of ambition. He hasn't done enough since Liverpool to get a top 6 gig again, but he isn't far off and I think a club like Leicester is a perfect move for him this summer. I think our (realistic) ambitions align perfectly.

I would still like to give Puel every opportunity over the next 16 games, but I also would like to think Top has a Plan B ready to make a swift change once the season ends, if needed. I think the timings could be perfect with Rodgers also looking for a change and a return to the Premier League. 

Let's see how we finish the season first, but if we do struggle then Rodgers would be a very decent option IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Dames said:

My point is that its easy to say that now events have happened but at the time he tied down his star player to a long term contract which shouldnt be used as a stick to beat him with, its a sign of good management.

Look at it this way - if Puel managed to tie down Mahrez to a new contract at the end of last season you'd be using that in all the defences you make for him, regardless of loss of form/injury.

Haha, sure as s*** I definitely would :)

Thats true.  Look i'm not saying Rogers wouldnt be good.  If we end up with him i'll probably be his biggest supporter once the fans turn on him

I just dont think there is enough at the moment to suggest sacking Puel off for Rogers is a good idea

2 hours ago, FIF said:

Puel is a good manager and if you try to argue he isn't you're just being cantankerous. He's done a good job pretty much everywhere he's been and trying to convince us Southampton finishing 8th in the prem and making a cup final is piss easy won't work. he was excellent at Monaco, Lille, Lyon and Nice too.

btw Celtic have had it very easy for most of Rodgers' reign except in the CL and how anyone can argue that Liverpool at any time shouldn't be top 5 is ludicrous.

But why would he want to leave a nice job at Celtic with CL football to get battered around in mid table in the prem (and then sacked)?

What is the hang up with post match interviews. Every winning manager and every losing manager says exactly the same thing. And it's all crud.

I agree, he's good enough to have us fighting for 7th to 11th. So why sack Puel who is over a year into rebuilding the team?

At what point did I say Puel wasn’t? I was commenting on Rodgers, which was the topic heading.

I think its now clear Puel will not be here next season. 

Quite like the idea of Rodgers, I do think some on this forum need a reality check and to understand we're not going to achieve top 4 nor attract Pep Guardiola for the job. If Rodgers comes in, transitions us to an exciting brand of football and keeps us competitive in the top half (best of the rest) league then I'm more than happy for this. 

He conducts himself well in interviews, his teams play better football then Puels and has a track record of doing well at clubs. Harsh to criticise his tenure at Liverpool as that was a mess.

I'd like him to come in and organise this transition, challenge for best of the rest and go for cup runs.. All achievable given how our future looks.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Firminiho not doing too bad is he 

I forgot they endured his shite for a further two months. But fine, let's also add Benteke, Ings and Bogdan to his list of failures that Klopp had to sort. He was not a success at Liverpool and did not lay the foundations for this side

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Quite like the idea of Rodgers, I do think some on this forum need a reality check and to understand we're not going to achieve top 4 nor attract Pep Guardiola for the job. If Rodgers comes in, transitions us to an exciting brand of football and keeps us competitive in the top half (best of the rest) league then I'm more than happy for this. 

He conducts himself well in interviews, his teams play better football then Puels and has a track record of doing well at clubs. Harsh to criticise his tenure at Liverpool as that was a mess.

I'd like him to come in and organise this transition, challenge for best of the rest and go for cup runs.. All achievable given how our future looks.

Indeed they do, which means realising that Puels getting us to about as high as we can realistically be without massive investment. So, why destabilise the club by changing managers when that's not really going to improve us? It's change for the sake of change, and to satisfy the majority of idiots in our fanbase

The Sun article has a major flaw (shocker)

It quotes that Top is making these decisions, we know that simply isn't the case, while he may have a final say he leaves it to Susan and John to do all the work with manager and signings.