Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

Scottish League performance should have no relevance on him coming to Leicester. Even the great Jock Wallace won the title six times with Rangers and still struggled in the top flight with us. Hopefully some stronger managers join any short list if Puel is removed. 

1 minute ago, J.Lisemore said:

Might actually be able to understand his post match interviews which is a plus. 

Sigh.... I'm in the Puel Out camp but is this really the first thing that comes to your mind when linked with another manager?

• Like 1

I think he would be a good fit. Plays attractive football, used to facing teams that set up to defend for 90 mins, knows the league and has developed benkovic well, which shows his commitment to youth. Would also be a useful sounding board on the qualities of Tierney if chilwell happened to go in the summer. Not convinced puel needs to go now but wouldn't mind Rodgers as a replacement when he does. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

The one thing that does entice me about him being Celtic manager is that pretty much every week the aim of the game is to break a team down who have parked the bus. That experience could prove vital for us in our current situation.

I think Rodgers reputation took a big hit in his final season with Liverpool, but that's the way the world is now. If you fail at a high profile club you are subjected to so much ridicule on social media that people forget what you achieved before that.

I think that documentary screwed him over as well. Yes, he can be more than a little bit David Brent, but that documentary had next to no inside access or interesting footage to use. Instead they had to fill the time with interviews with Rodgers.

Ultimately he's enjoyed success wherever he has been. He's a modern manager who is a student of the game. Have a read of The Mixer by Michael Cox. It talks about Rodgers being obsessed as a young coach by how teams abroad, especially Barcelona, did things. He travelled a lot and spent time with various clubs.

He has his flaws, but we aren't going to hire a manager without any.

:revenge: :nigel:

Don't come on this forum to make reasoned sensible arguments. :dry: :unsure:

14 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

Sigh.... I'm in the Puel Out camp but is this really the first thing that comes to your mind when linked with another manager?

Well no, I’d like to hear the post match interview in English. 

Edited by J.Lisemore

7 hours ago, Jordan said:

I’d take him.

Frankly, I’m agnostic about this season’s expectations, and I’ve thought all along that City were looking towards the next two seasons. We just played a 30-minute stretch of a game with Chilwell, Chowdhury, Maddison, Gray, Ndidi and Barnes our there together (not to mention Maguire and Ricardo still yet to hit their ceilings), so I think this gives us some idea of where the club’s heading.

We’re not boring because we have 3 CDMs, were boring because our attacking players can’t yet break down deep defenses. They will eventually get it, though. Barnes, Gray and Maddison are highly rated even outside the club for good reasons.

This is why I’m not beating the Puel Out drum.

However, I would pull the trigger if we could get Rodgers because he can get players and teams to use a few different ways to break down stubborn defenses. Not only that, he knows a thing or two about youth development. I would trust Rodgers to be able to continue our rebuilding process and get the scoreboard ticking a few more times. You’re not gonna want to have a beer with him or listen to his press conferences, but managers can’t tick every box, can they?

I wouldn’t trade Puel for Wagner, though. Wagner understands youth development and high-press systems, and is a decent fellow, but he’s gone a few years without being able to coach a high-tempo attack. I don’t see Leicester’s squad improving and developing at a faster rate with him. None of these three managers seems to know how to get their club to buy a decent striker, though, so it’s a wash in this category.

That's a very good post! Sums up a lot of my feelings too.

During his last stint in the Premiership I thought Rogers became insufferable and fancied himself too much, and I found it strangely satisfiying when they lost the title in the way that they did! But I will give him a lot of credit as wherever he's been he's produced entertaining football which has been reasonably succesful. I think his time as Swansea is most interesting to me, as he proved that a team with medicore players can still play nice football and were still quite stable position wise. Puel has IMO done a lot of things right *except* the style of football that we play. If we were in exactly the same position and with the same points but had been putting in more attacking displays then I think there would be far less fan unrest.

If we finish 8th or above, I think Puel will still be here. If we finish bottom half, then I think he will go and Rogers will replace him. 

Why is everyone under the impression he's doing a great job at Celtic?

Granted, he's previously made it look easy but the league was in the worst state it's been in in quite some time. This year, quite a few teams have gotten their act together and it's resulted in Celtics worse start to a season in 20 years. As for his so called progressive style of football? Many Celtic fans have the exact same gripe with him that we do with Puel. Doesn't get the ball forward quick enough and to many sideways passes so I don't think he would revolutionise the way we play. 

Like I've said before,it slightly puzzles me that the same fans who want a manager gone because of defeats to the likes of Cardiff and Southampton seem to be fine with a manager who can't beat Livingston or St.Mirren despite being FAR superior to them in every way. 

• Like 1

From The Mixer:

"Stylistically, Rodgers is the most 'foreign' British manager the Premier League has seen. His professional playing career ended at 20 because of a congenital knee condition, but Rodgers was determined to make a serious impact on British football. 'My ideology was, "OK, I'm not going to have an influence on the game as a player, technically or tactically. Can I do it as a coach?" My objective was to show that British players could play football.' Rodgers particularly admired the Spanish model, long before their dominance at international level, and spent extended periods in that country furthering his coaching education. His ideal weekend involved flying into Barcelona on a Saturday evening, spending the Sunday watching Barga's youth matches, heading to the Nou Camp to observe the first team, then flying home. He visited the training grounds of Valencia, Sevilla and Betis, always pinpointing clubs who emphasised a long-term, possession-based, collective football style and regularly promoted youth products - in other words, he didn't bother with Real Madrid. He took Spanish lessons for seven years, conscious that a move to Spain might suit his coaching career, and he also paid close attention to the likes of Ajax and FC Twente in the Netherlands."

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 1

I'd take him. Swansea and Liverpool invested little during his reigns there and both did well. Plays progressive football that is good to watch....... no perhaps not, forget him, I've got used to catching up on sleep/social media/online banking during home games.

Puel was an appointment with very low expectations from the fans because many didnt want him

Rogers is being spoken of as an attacking manager, which Liverpool fans say he is.  Fair enough, but that makes the expectation exciting football more successful than we are now (people can say otherwise now, but if he does worse than Puel it will be seen as a backwards step, bet your house on it), which makes the likelihood the fans will turn on him very high if he doesnt achieve that success quickly

I think he could probably get us to the exact same position we are now. But he could probably do with some 'nicer' football. I think I'd take him if we were looking for a manager, has a similar passing ethos that we want to build but might be able to progress other areas.

Mute point though whilst we have a manager :dunno:

It was a nay from me based on Celtic, but then a bit of thinking about how good his Liverpool side were, and without a 11 match ban for his main striker  - imagine that for Vardy whilst we were chasing the title, then that would have been a title win. But most of all it was the fantastic football he had Swansea playing ..... So it's a yes!

• Like 2