Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

I’d take him.

Frankly, I’m agnostic about this season’s expectations, and I’ve thought all along that City were looking towards the next two seasons. We just played a 30-minute stretch of a game with Chilwell, Chowdhury, Maddison, Gray, Ndidi and Barnes our there together (not to mention Maguire and Ricardo still yet to hit their ceilings), so I think this gives us some idea of where the club’s heading.

We’re not boring because we have 3 CDMs, were boring because our attacking players can’t yet break down deep defenses. They will eventually get it, though. Barnes, Gray and Maddison are highly rated even outside the club for good reasons.

This is why I’m not beating the Puel Out drum.

However, I would pull the trigger if we could get Rodgers because he can get players and teams to use a few different ways to break down stubborn defenses. Not only that, he knows a thing or two about youth development. I would trust Rodgers to be able to continue our rebuilding process and get the scoreboard ticking a few more times. You’re not gonna want to have a beer with him or listen to his press conferences, but managers can’t tick every box, can they?

I wouldn’t trade Puel for Wagner, though. Wagner understands youth development and high-press systems, and is a decent fellow, but he’s gone a few years without being able to coach a high-tempo attack. I don’t see Leicester’s squad improving and developing at a faster rate with him. None of these three managers seems to know how to get their club to buy a decent striker, though, so it’s a wash in this category.

Edited by Jordan
  • Like 4

I’m not sold on this. 

I’m on the fence with Claude, as if nothing else, I believe we might have a language barrier issue. We’re going in the right direction as a club, we’re just a bit boring. Ask any Man City fan about Peps first season though. 

On another note, look how football has changed since the Martin O’Neill era. We were worried about losing him and our players to Celtic. We’re now on about nicking their Manager.

2 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

It’s the Sun so can it be believed I’ll believe it if and when it happpens ?

thats spot on for me and theres only one person who works for the sun who id believe since hes spot on most the time and thats Alan Nixon and the latest article isnt by him

For 'twas a cunning plan - send him Benkovic, get him whipped up into a frenzied state where he declares "I want him in my team next season" and then tell him there is only one way that will happen. 

Seriously though he must be impressed at our potential strength when we're happy to make do without new signing Benkovic for a season and he goes on loan and impresses everyone up there. 

For Celtic it's starting to get a little more competitive in their league this season but they still struggle to attract / afford enough quality to have any real impact in the Champions League. It is still a life of trophies, cup finals and European football though, compared to the prospect of fighting Wolves, Everton and West Ham for seventh. Here he would be likely to be asked to continue the "project" too (and benefit from senior players being further into their contracts and younger players having already been introduced) so it depends on his reasoning and motivation as to whether he'd come here. 

Edited by fazzyfox

He’s a good manager, and if you try to argue he isn’t you’re just being cantankerous. He’s done a good job pretty much everywhere he’s been and trying to convince us Celtic is a piss easy job won’t work, he was excellent at Swansea and was also excellent at Liverpool. 

Hes a proven manager, and let’s face it, who else is there? Wagner certainly is not the one.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2018 at 14:05, Ted Maul said:

No chance, even if we wanted him. He'll have his sights set on one of the big clubs I imagine.

Id imagine we'd be about as big as he'd get other than possibly Everton or west ham or a foreign team. Top 6 wouldn't want him. 

• Like 1

Personally I don't get why there are so many people against this. He has done well at his last 3 jobs. 

He built the platform for Liverpool to be where they are now. Klopp has taken it to the next level however. Had it not been the Gerrard slip, he would be the first Liverpool manager to win the Premier League. 

At Swansea he had the playing some beautiful football, got them promoted to the Premier League for the first ever time. The club under him had an identity. 

At Celtic he has won pretty much everything he could. Yes the league is crap, but it still takes good management to get the best out of your players week in, week out to remain unbeaten for 63 games. 

He plays an attacking style, and good with young players. Something the club is striving for.

Yet, some people still want Benitez, who is more defensive than Puel and isn't known for using young players regularly. 

If Puel goes, it would be a yes from me. 

Edited by 80's fox
Typo
  • Like 2