Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bedford Fox

Brendan Rodgers..yay or nay?

Brendan Rodgers  

734 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if Rodgers took charge?

• Yes
    • No way

1 hour ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

He’s a good manager, and if you try to argue he isn’t you’re just being cantankerous. He’s done a good job pretty much everywhere he’s been and trying to convince us Celtic is a piss easy job won’t work, he was excellent at Swansea and was also excellent at Liverpool. 

Hes a proven manager, and let’s face it, who else is there? Wagner certainly is not the one.

Puel is a good manager and if you try to argue he isn't you're just being cantankerous. He's done a good job pretty much everywhere he's been and trying to convince us Southampton finishing 8th in the prem and making a cup final is piss easy won't work. he was excellent at Monaco, Lille, Lyon and Nice too.

btw Celtic have had it very easy for most of Rodgers' reign except in the CL and how anyone can argue that Liverpool at any time shouldn't be top 5 is ludicrous.

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

Id imagine we'd be about as big as he'd get other than possibly Everton or west ham or a foreign team. Top 6 wouldn't want him. 

But why would he want to leave a nice job at Celtic with CL football to get battered around in mid table in the prem (and then sacked)?

54 minutes ago, J.Lisemore said:

Might actually be able to understand his post match interviews which is a plus. 

What is the hang up with post match interviews. Every winning manager and every losing manager says exactly the same thing. And it's all crud.

21 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think he could probably get us to the exact same position we are now. But he could probably do with some 'nicer' football. I think I'd take him if we were looking for a manager, has a similar passing ethos that we want to build but might be able to progress other areas.

Mute point though whilst we have a manager :dunno:

I agree, he's good enough to have us fighting for 7th to 11th. So why sack Puel who is over a year into rebuilding the team?

Does anyone who has actually watched them know if Celtic play entertaining football? And if so dyou believe they would still play it or be capable of it if they weren't playing teams of duffers every week? 

Best case scenario with him here is that we finish roughly where we are now possibly playing more 'entertaining' football and with less dull post match interviews (although he does give off a bit of a twatish air when interviewed from what I remember) 

Yet again though there's every chance Wel get worse results wise. His success at Swansea based on passing and possession ("booo get the ball forward") was while ago now and the PL is a lot different. Also his one truly successful season at Liverpool was largely down to incredible form from Suarez and a last hurrah from an ageing Gerrard and let's not pretend we've got players that good in our squad. Other than that his Liverpool tenure was a bit meh. Infinitely more chance of us getting worse than better under him imo, but definitely better interviews which is the important thing right?

• Haha 1

Anyone listening to Talkshite?   Celtic described as a massive Global Brand?   Am I missing something here?  The top team here in Austria (Red Bull Salzburg) turned over Celtic twice in the last 6 weeks.  They are not global here I can tell you.

• Like 2

So now the ITKs tell us we have Rodgers and Wagner and that French guy in the summer. 

Hopefully the three of them can improve on Claude's finishing position. Why should Claude bother with the rest of the season if he's getting sacked. Time to bring hughes and Knight in.

50 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

Does anyone who has actually watched them know if Celtic play entertaining football? And if so dyou believe they would still play it or be capable of it if they weren't playing teams of duffers every week? 

Best case scenario with him here is that we finish roughly where we are now possibly playing more 'entertaining' football and with less dull post match interviews (although he does give off a bit of a twatish air when interviewed from what I remember) 

Yet again though there's every chance Wel get worse results wise. His success at Swansea based on passing and possession ("booo get the ball forward") was while ago now and the PL is a lot different. Also his one truly successful season at Liverpool was largely down to incredible form from Suarez and a last hurrah from an ageing Gerrard and let's not pretend we've got players that good in our squad. Other than that his Liverpool tenure was a bit meh. Infinitely more chance of us getting worse than better under him imo, but definitely better interviews which is the important thing right?

Previously, they have played good football but any time I've saw them this year (8/9 games) it's been nothing to shout about. A lot of the same issues we have, too many sideways passes and not getting the ball forward quick enough.

I'm convinced that Rodgers is a sideways step. Yes,I think our style will improve slightly because I think Rodgers would go with 3 at the back and wing backs (He tries to with Celtic but they are short on CB's) but I don't feel he could match Puel in terms of results. 

So for me, it's a case of what do you want? Better brand of football but drop a few spots in the league or boring football with a chance of 7th? Either way, there won't be a MASSIVE difference in either under Rodgers.

29 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Probably yes. 

Good jobs at Swansea and Liverpool 

Wasn't he the first manager in history to never win anything at Liverpool in his first three years? And he inherited a decent set up on a roll from Martinez and Sousa at Swansea? Just balancing things a bit. 

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

What? No, Klopp has spent three years undoing his mess. He left this country a joke of a manager, and it's only managing flat track bullies that's getting his reputation back, and look how poor it's going for him this season now there's actual competition.

Liverpool finished 2nd in Rogers 2nd season. 

Liverpool under Klopp have not finished higher than 4th.

Prior to Rogers they finished 7th, 6th and 8th. 

All managers have to undo someone's mess. Otherwise that manager would still be there. 

Puel is still trying to undo Ranieri and Shakespeare's mess, does that give more time and respect. 

Is Ranieri a failure because he got sacked at Leicester? 

All of it is subjective and you can spin it any way to suit your point.

Whatever you wish to say, Rogers has still finished higher than Klopp in the league. 

A high number of managers get sacked, even the best ones. Does it mean that they are bad managers? No. 

We are Leicester City, and his management philosophy fits what we are trying to do. He isn't perfect, if he was we would have no chance anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 80's fox said:

Liverpool finished 2nd in Rogers 2nd season. 

Liverpool under Klopp have not finished higher than 4th.

Prior to Rogers they finished 7th, 6th and 8th. 

All managers have to undo someone's mess. Otherwise that manager would still be there. 

Puel is still trying to undo Ranieri and Shakespeare's mess, does that give more time and respect. 

Is Ranieri a failure because he got sacked at Leicester? 

All of it is subjective and you can spin it any way to suit your point.

Whatever you wish to say, Rogers has still finished higher than Klopp in the league. 

A high number of managers get sacked, even the best ones. Does it mean that they are bad managers? No. 

We are Leicester City, and his management philosophy fits what we are trying to do. He isn't perfect, if he was we would have no chance anyway. 

Purely because he had a genuinely world class Suarez on hand. But, he wasn't a good manager for them and most Liverpool fans wouldn't give him any credit for their current status like you did. 

Guys a David Brent wannabe and not that good. Getting rid of Puel for him would not be an improvement