Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen_patel4

WW2

It’s a subject that fascinates me too, also the home front, I’ve loved listening to stories of those that lived through it. My dad telling me about his Mickey Mouse gas mask that had a tongue that came out and made a rasberry noise when he breathed out, also how all the kids in his village marched around banging dustbin lids like cymbals as the church bells rang celebrating victory. He also told me about how he remembers his mum baking cakes for the street party after victory.

I can can also remember an old wren telling me how she looked down on the boats leaving for France on d day, they’d known for days what was happening due to troop movements and the arrival of hardware for the attack but were sworn to secrecy, she said as she looked down on the boats leaving she could hear all the soldiers singing land of hope and glory. 

Also in a field near where my mum lived, ab kettlby, a German bomber dropped a bomb, shedding its load on the way home. The bomb unexploded but after it had been removed the locals didn’t miss a trick as at the village fate they charged people to go down the 'bomb hole' 

My my dad also told me how he could see Coventry burning from his bedroom window in Coalville, Said the sky glowed orange. 

Fascinating stories of how the war affected those at home, amusing, moving and tragic. 

Edited by Vlad the Fox
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

The World at War is the best documentary series ever made 

Couldn't agree more. The opening lines from episode 1 send shivers down the spine;

"Down this road on a summer day in 1944, the soldiers came. Nobody lives here now. They stayed only a few hours. When they had gone, the community, which had lived for a thousand years, was dead. This is Oradour-sur-Glane, in France. The day the soldiers came, the people were gathered together. The men were taken to garages and barns, the women and children were led down this road, and they were driven into this church. Here, they heard the firing as their men were shot. Then they were killed too. A few weeks later, many of those who had done the killing were themselves dead, in battle. They never rebuilt Oradour. Its ruins are a memorial. Its martyrdom stands for thousands upon thousands of other martyrdoms in Poland, in Russia, in Burma, China, in a world at war"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I loved Bletchley Park - however I realised that I am possibly stupid when I couldn't get my head around the Turing Machine despite being there all day. Seemed like everyone around me understood.

The walking tour was cool as well. WW2 is really interesting.