Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen_patel4

WW2

14 hours ago, Izzy said:

Great 2 min speech by Chris Packham on Alan Turing at the icon's award. Made me think of @leicsmac when he talked about Scientists being the only hope for our future :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0704h04

Splendid stuff.

One of the few times the establishment actually valued a scientist, probably because they had no choice at the time (oh, and then proceeded to ostracise him because of who he loved when it was all over).

3 hours ago, Isle of Wight Fox said:

Couldn't agree more. The opening lines from episode 1 send shivers down the spine;

"Down this road on a summer day in 1944, the soldiers came. Nobody lives here now. They stayed only a few hours. When they had gone, the community, which had lived for a thousand years, was dead. This is Oradour-sur-Glane, in France. The day the soldiers came, the people were gathered together. The men were taken to garages and barns, the women and children were led down this road, and they were driven into this church. Here, they heard the firing as their men were shot. Then they were killed too. A few weeks later, many of those who had done the killing were themselves dead, in battle. They never rebuilt Oradour. Its ruins are a memorial. Its martyrdom stands for thousands upon thousands of other martyrdoms in Poland, in Russia, in Burma, China, in a world at war"

I'll have to check it out. Damn.

Coincidentally I was reading up on it last night and found some of the statistics absolutely baffling. The one that stood out for me was that the US air force managed to destroy more than 60% of all built up areas in Japan (pre nukes) and killed 900,000 civilians. The loss of life and suffering endured on the asian front is often overlooked but should always be remembered and never repeated. 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 2

I’m mildly obsessed with both the Great War and WW2

There are loads of great resources, If you know where to look 

WWII PODCAST is amazing…. It takes Ray Harris a few episodes to find his style, but, he gives an amazing account of the war and it battles…

https://worldwariipodcast.net/

I learnt many things - The Greeks were double hard bastards, Churchill was even more amazing than I thought he was and The French politicians should be massively ashamed of themselves 

also OP- ‘brown people’ (as you say) fought very bravely indeed…. Lest we forget…

on WWI - check out the BBC and voices of the First World War podcast- amazing and humbling to hear real live accounts of some hugely brave men…

off to watch WW2 in color now - thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Thanks 1

At the to risk of coming over all Mark out of Peep Show, those that like reading actual books but haven't indulged so far should read pretty much anything by Antony Beevor and Max Hastings.

Beevor's work is perhaps a bit more accessible, and he manages to convey the drama and urgency of events in a way that makes his stuff more exciting than a lot of history books.

Hastings does detail in a big way, possibly too much for the casual reader, but I LOVE detail so right up my street as well. In fact, I've just found one on the shelf that I've not read. Result

57 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Coincidentally I was reading up on it last night and found some of the statistics absolutely baffling. The one that stood out for me was that the US air force managed to destroy more than 60% of all built up areas in Japan (pre nukes) and killed 900,000 civilians. The loss of life and suffering endured on the asian front is often overlooked but should always be remembered and never repeated. 

Anybody know which bombing raid had the highest kills for England and Germany?

I know we absolutely carpet bombed Cologne and according to wiki about 20,000 people died. I always thought this was the highest by the RAF.

36 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

At the to risk of coming over all Mark out of Peep Show, those that like reading actual books but haven't indulged so far should read pretty much anything by Antony Beevor and Max Hastings.

Beevor's work is perhaps a bit more accessible, and he manages to convey the drama and urgency of events in a way that makes his stuff more exciting than a lot of history books.

Hastings does detail in a big way, possibly too much for the casual reader, but I LOVE detail so right up my street as well. In fact, I've just found one on the shelf that I've not read. Result

Citizen soldier max hastings , try Ernst Junger Storm Of Steel WW1 if youve not read it yet .

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Anybody know which bombing raid had the highest kills for England and Germany?

I know we absolutely carpet bombed Cologne and according to wiki about 20,000 people died. I always thought this was the highest by the RAF.

I always thought that aswell due to the firestorm but apparently Hamburg was almost double ,  Operation Gomorrah 45,000

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

Pretty sure Filbert Street had a bomb dropped on it?!?

5 minutes ago, shailen_patel4 said:

Had it?

Yes. When they were going for Coventry.

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

i find beevors a bit lightweight, if i’m honest 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stadt said:

The World at War is the best documentary series ever made 

Yes,I too class it as one of the best covering documentaries....

Though the channels Movies for men,and PBS show various documentaries on periods,single important engagements,and other aspects

From WWII...

Both show also,a lot of the Asian, Japanese conflicts.An old friend and ex-app-instructor,was in the Chindits,one of the youngest(16) decorated.

At one time you could go on the shop floor of Bentleys or any big industrial firm,and many of our older heroes,you could be working with and learn from.

Japanese POWs,Flyers,gunners (all types) ground DDay troops,Anzio conflict,Sailors. Including Korean gets .the whole lot !!  ,A generation that kept my thoughts on the right track..also a group of ex-Aden vets,who could be ones older sisters boyfriend...!!