Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

I wonder if this will play into Corbyn's hands.

Farage, Trump and Sturgeon were seen as unduly villainised outsiders against a corrupt system. And that massively increased their popularity with increasingly disenfranised voters.

The more Corbyn can paint himself as a villainised outsider fighting against corrupt system that hates him - and this kind of thing really helps - the more he can appeal to increasingly disfranchised, angry voters.

And the closer he'll find himself to power.

That's part of the reason why he's got as far as he has already. People went on the attack early doors with him about really frivolous stuff and now the legitimate criticism just gets mixed in with all of that to the extent that a large proportion of people simply don't believe anything they read about him if it's negative.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FIF said:

So you're saying it shouldn't be shown?

Can't agree with that at all. 

We have a wide press with good freedom to publish. Each may have some bias or not but the press as a whole is not biased all to one faction or the other.

I agree with this, infact i have a theory on why everyone thinks the press are biased. I liken the press to a referee in a football match. The referee calls the game straight down the middle. If he sees something he acts upon it, and at the end of the game, both sets of fans come away thinking the ref was against them for the whole match. The public perception of the press works in the same way, if they don't think a media outlet are publishing the exact same views as the person reading/watching the news, they claim it to be biased.

11 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I agree with this, infact i have a theory on why everyone thinks the press are biased. I liken the press to a referee in a football match. The referee calls the game straight down the middle. If he sees something he acts upon it, and at the end of the game, both sets of fans come away thinking the ref was against them for the whole match. The public perception of the press works in the same way, if they don't think a media outlet are publishing the exact same views as the person reading/watching the news, they claim it to be biased.

You know who the editor of the Evening Standard is, don’t you?

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

You know who the editor of the Evening Standard is, don’t you?

There are obviously going to be one or two exceptions, but generally speaking i don't think the media are particularly biased. Especially the BBC, which seems to be the main focus of people's displeasure in here at the moment.

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

There are obviously going to be one or two exceptions, but generally speaking i don't think the media are particularly biased. Especially the BBC, which seems to be the main focus of people's displeasure in here at the moment.

The Beeb seem to piss off both left and right, which says to me they're doing exactly the job they should be doing most of the time.

• Like 2

Guest MattP

The BBC bias is a liberal establishment bias, as Andrew Marr has said. It's a company that employs people in cities who are overwhelmingly young and will have far higher rates of BAME and LGBTQI folk, so it's unavoidable. 

It's anti Brexit and anti Corbyn. 

It's recent coverage on Brexit has been nothing short of disgraceful though, use of "crashing out" "people's vote" - all terminalogy designed and spread by the Remain side of the argument, the composition of the panel on everything is always heavily stacked against Brexit as well.

34 minutes ago, MattP said:

The BBC bias is a liberal establishment bias, as Andrew Marr has said. It's a company that employs people in cities who are overwhelmingly young and will have far higher rates of BAME and LGBTQI folk, so it's unavoidable. 

It's anti Brexit and anti Corbyn. 

It's recent coverage on Brexit has been nothing short of disgraceful though, use of "crashing out" "people's vote" - all terminalogy designed and spread by the Remain side of the argument, the composition of the panel on everything is always heavily stacked against Brexit as well.

Funny that, but as a Liberal and Remainer I don't find the BBC particularly supportive of Remain or Liberalism.

Guest MattP
Just now, LiberalFox said:

Funny that, but as a Liberal and Remainer I don't find the BBC particularly supportive of Remain or Liberalism.

I dread to think how you would see it then if you flicked on Newsnight and saw four panellists who were all pro-Leave debating Brexit. 

26 minutes ago, FIF said:

So you're saying it shouldn't be shown?

Can't agree with that at all. 

We have a wide press with good freedom to publish. Each may have some bias or not but the press as a whole is not biased all to one faction or the other.

That's definitely not what I'm saying, not at all. I'm against censorship. It doesn't work, because it even increases the notoriety of the material in circulation.

I'm hopefully clear enough in the sense that I want the video to be put into context and relation to other similar happenings within the Armed Forces, which I presume and are pretty sure of do take place on a more or less regular basis, because that's part and parcel of the military humor.

If other groups are doing the same (be it with Corbyn's face or any other politician's or public figure's image), then they should equally be exposed and held accountable.

But seeing that this video has gone viral and others haven't, you can ask yourself why that is. Hence the "bias" part.

Social Media has a tendency to amplify the significance of certain statements or videos and whatnot due to the rage or outrage culture that it represents and/or feeds, where Confirmation Bias and Groupthink come into play. The reporting then sways away from being objective, it becomes fragmented, subjective and tendentious.

That's my general issue with the media and news and Social Media for that matter.

47 minutes ago, MattP said:

Can actually see that passing. 

How exactly does this solve the border issue though? Unless we are also adopting EEA legislation, a customs union comes nowhere near.

Edited by Beechey

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I'm hopefully clear enough in the sense that I want the video to be put into context and relation to other similar happenings within the Armed Forces, which I presume and are pretty sure of do take place on a more or less regular basis, because that's part and parcel of the military humor.

Just like the racism, sexism, homophobism ....

"military humour" is just a hide behind phrase for many of the evils that we allow our military to express.

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

That's definitely not what I'm saying, not at all. I'm against censorship. It doesn't work, because it even increases the notoriety of the material in circulation.

If other groups are doing the same (be it with Corbyn's face or any other politician's or public figure's image), then they should equally be exposed and held accountable.

But seeing that this video has gone viral and others haven't, you can ask yourself why that is. Hence the "bias" part.

Social Media has a tendency to amplify the significance of certain statements or videos and whatnot due to the rage or outrage culture that it represents and/or feeds, where Confirmation Bias and Groupthink come into play. The reporting then sways away from being objective, it becomes fragmented, subjective and tendentious.

That's my general issue with the media and news and Social Media for that matter.

The thing is we can't prove that other politicians aren't being shot without providing footage of every army shooting range exercise. Since you feel so strongly about this I'm nominating you to gather that footage. In the meantime it's fair to assume any such footage would probably have surfaced much like this has, it's up to you whether you want to accept that, dig for the proof yourself or hide behind strawman whataboutery to defend highly inappropriate behaviour.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

None that haven't been made public yet. What part of that aren't you getting?

How can the media report on something they don't know exists FFS? If such videos exist and are made public then I've no doubt they'll be reported on. If the media *then* don't do so, then you'll have a point. Until then you're just on a whataboutery crusade.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FIF said:

Just like the racism, sexism, homophobism ....

"military humour" is just a hide behind phrase for many of the evils that we allow our military to express.

Hey, I don't find it particularly funny, but at times, such pasttime activities are also a means to an end, in the sense that it somewhat temporarily eases the pressure and boredom for the people abroad, serving their country.

Men do stupid things at times, because men.

You been in the Army Forces? Days can be long and repetitious, and you're far from home.

The shooting range incident wasn't that smart a move to begin with, and the recording has done its own, additional damage.

Fair play.

Please elaborate on the "many evils" within the military. I'd be interested.

12 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

How can the media report on something they don't know exists FFS? If such videos exist and are made public then I've no doubt they'll be reported on. If the media *then* don't do so, then you'll have a point. Until then you're just on a whataboutery crusade.

Because it has either

a) not been made available to the press yet (not yet leaked)

or

b) been suppressed by the media

None of this should come to anybody's surprise. Whatever news you read/gather is basically the result of a particular selection process.

49 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I've read a lot of academic studies on BBC bias and it all tends to suggest that there's actually a slight bias towards leave and right wing politics in general.

Guest MattP
Just now, peach0000 said:

I've read a lot of academic studies on BBC bias and it all tends to suggest that there's actually a slight bias towards leave and right wing politics in general.

I would love to have a read of this do you have a link to any of them?

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I would love to have a read of this do you have a link to any of them?

I would have to properly dig them out of past papers but if you google it I'm sure you'd find them especially on something like google scholar. Also when I say slight bias I really emphasis the slight, it is really really marginal.