Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

19 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

I'm sure I heard her say "any deal must include agreement to the current withdrawal agreement" not sure how this changes anything? The numbers just aren't there for it to pass? Cannot see Corbyn agreeing to anything as it lessens the chances of a GE

Well if folk actually listened to the EU and had read Article 50 then every 'version' of Leave requires the WA (even to an extent No deal) and I think even Labour admit this now. All of this polava is over changing a Political Declaration that the vast majority say isn't legally-binding and could be dropped by a future government. This is why it was stupid when everyone called it 'the deal'. 

7 minutes ago, Buce said:

"I have just come from chairing seven hours of cabinet meetings focused on finding a route out of the current impasse – one that will deliver the Brexit the British people voted for and allow us to move on and begin bringing our divided country back together.

I know there are some who are so fed up with delay and endless arguments that they would like to leave with no deal next week.

I have always been clear that we could make a success of no deal in the long term. But leaving with a deal is the best solution. So, we will need a further extension of article 50 – one that is as short as possible and which ends when we pass a deal. And we need to be clear what such an extension is for – to ensure we leave in a timely and orderly way.

This debate, this division, cannot drag on much longer. It is putting members of Parliament and everyone else under immense pressure and it is doing damage to our politics.

Despite the best efforts of MPs, the process that the House of Commons has tried to lead has not come up with an answer. So, today, I am taking action to break the logjam: I am offering to sit down with the leader of the opposition and to try to agree a plan – that we would both stick to – to ensure that we leave the European Union and that we do so with a deal.

Any plan would have to agree the current withdrawal agreement – it has already been negotiated with the 27 other members, and the EU has repeatedly said that it cannot and will not be reopened.

What we need to focus on is our future relationship with the EU. The ideal outcome of this process would be to agree an approach on a future relationship that delivers on the result of the referendum, that both the leader of the opposition and I could put to the House for approval, and which I could then take to next week’s European Council.

However, if we cannot agree on a single unified approach, then we would instead agree a number of options for the future relationship that we could put to the House in a series of votes to determine which course to pursue. Crucially, the government stands ready to abide by the decision of the House. But, to make this process work, the opposition would need to agree to this too.

The government would then bring forward the withdrawal agreement Bill. We would want to agree a timetable for this Bill to ensure it is passed before 22 May so that the United Kingdom need not take part in European Parliamentary elections.

This is a difficult time for everyone. Passions are running high on all sides of the argument. But we can and must find the compromises that will deliver what the British people voted for. This is a decisive moment in the story of these islands. And it requires national unity to deliver the national interest."

So, she wants Corbyn to agree to a plan, but it has to be her deal. The only way that works is by putting her deal up for a referendum, surely? Is that what she's getting at? :dunno:

Any plan would have to agree the current withdrawal agreement that Labour will not agree to!  lol

And it took her 7 hours to reach this conclusion.  She is utterly clueless.

She will be out, along with her deal, long before a further extension comes to an end.  

18 minutes ago, Buce said:

"I have just come from chairing seven hours of cabinet meetings focused on finding a route out of the current impasse – one that will deliver the Brexit the British people voted for and allow us to move on and begin bringing our divided country back together.

I know there are some who are so fed up with delay and endless arguments that they would like to leave with no deal next week.

I have always been clear that we could make a success of no deal in the long term. But leaving with a deal is the best solution. So, we will need a further extension of article 50 – one that is as short as possible and which ends when we pass a deal. And we need to be clear what such an extension is for – to ensure we leave in a timely and orderly way.

This debate, this division, cannot drag on much longer. It is putting members of Parliament and everyone else under immense pressure and it is doing damage to our politics.

Despite the best efforts of MPs, the process that the House of Commons has tried to lead has not come up with an answer. So, today, I am taking action to break the logjam: I am offering to sit down with the leader of the opposition and to try to agree a plan – that we would both stick to – to ensure that we leave the European Union and that we do so with a deal.

Any plan would have to agree the current withdrawal agreement – it has already been negotiated with the 27 other members, and the EU has repeatedly said that it cannot and will not be reopened.

What we need to focus on is our future relationship with the EU. The ideal outcome of this process would be to agree an approach on a future relationship that delivers on the result of the referendum, that both the leader of the opposition and I could put to the House for approval, and which I could then take to next week’s European Council.

However, if we cannot agree on a single unified approach, then we would instead agree a number of options for the future relationship that we could put to the House in a series of votes to determine which course to pursue. Crucially, the government stands ready to abide by the decision of the House. But, to make this process work, the opposition would need to agree to this too.

The government would then bring forward the withdrawal agreement Bill. We would want to agree a timetable for this Bill to ensure it is passed before 22 May so that the United Kingdom need not take part in European Parliamentary elections.

This is a difficult time for everyone. Passions are running high on all sides of the argument. But we can and must find the compromises that will deliver what the British people voted for. This is a decisive moment in the story of these islands. And it requires national unity to deliver the national interest."

So, she wants Corbyn to agree to a plan, but it has to be her deal. The only way that works is by putting her deal up for a referendum, surely? Is that what she's getting at? :dunno:

Who knows what she means, but 'Her deal' isn't a deal it's a withdrawl agreement with a PD which is a few ideas scratched on a fag packet,how can that be put to the people, it's a fcuking joke.

14 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Any plan would have to agree the current withdrawal agreement that Labour will not agree to!  lol

And it took her 7 hours to reach this conclusion.  She is utterly clueless.

She will be out, along with her deal, long before a further extension comes to an end.  

She's not on her own in coming to making decisions. She has advisors galore and those that feed her information. Granted she is the figurehead, but the whole TM team are clueless. That said, what David Cameron have done? As weak and clueless as May. And let's not even think about what Corbyn would have done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

people want politicians in Westminster not to focus on themselves, but to focus on the needs of the country” - Boris Johnson, the most self-serving politician in parliament. 

'Psychological projection is a defence mechanism in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.'

4 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I fail to see how she has come to this notion of compromise when she states she will not alter the withdrawal agreement, that has been voted down twice, but is willing to listen on ideas of a future relationship that hasn't been decided on yet.

lol

That's because she can't change the Withdrawal Agreement. I thought we all knew this by now?

10 minutes ago, Beechey said:

I am livid that May whipped against the CM2.0 plan yesterday, basically killing it, and now is open to compromise after absolutely no change.

Why?

It was a free vote, she only whipped cabinet into abstaining. 

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

It was a free vote, she only whipped cabinet into abstaining. 

Her whips were advising Conservative MPs to vote against. It was a whip in everything but name. Even DExEU were railing on the plan on Twitter.

Edited by Beechey
  • Thanks 1

Guest MattP
7 hours ago, Beechey said:

I am livid that May whipped against the CM2.0 plan yesterday, basically killing it, and now is open to compromise after absolutely no change.

Why?

What the hell she is doing I have no idea now, I dread to think how many Tory membership cards were cut up last night.

Even outvoted in cabinet yesterday according to most of the press and still went ahead with this 

How the hell do the Tories go to the electorate now and tell them Corbyn is an incompetent dangerous marxist whilst deciding to involve him in the decision making process for Brexit?

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

What the hell she is doing I have no idea now, I dread to think how many Tory membership cards were cut up last night.

Even outvoted in cabinet yesterday according to most of the press and still went ahead with this 

How the hell do the Tories go to the electorate now and tell them Corbyn is an incompetent dangerous marxist whilst deciding to involve him in the decision making process for Brexit?

Remember when the Conservatove leadership election was going on and she was described as the "safe pair of hands"?

Feels a long time ago now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Remember when the Conservatove leadership election was going on and she was described as the "safe pair of hands"?

Feels a long time ago now. 

‘Strong and stable’ lol

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MattP said:

They'll blame him for not agreeing to May's deal and subsequently forcing the country into a no deal Brexit and thus incompetent and dangerous.

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

They'll blame him for not agreeing to May's deal and subsequently forcing the country into a no deal Brexit and thus incompetent and dangerous.

I'm been trying to think of how in some way this is a masterful plan but I just can't see it.

Even if they fail to agree something it looks ridiculous and barely any Conservatives even believe a word than comes out of May's mouth now.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I'm been trying to think of how in some way this is a masterful plan but I just can't see it.

Even if they fail to agree something it looks ridiculous and barely any Conservatives even believe a word than comes out of May's mouth now.

May is toast, this just seems like a Kamikaze move to bring Labour down with her to me.

There's going to be a GE following a no deal Brexit and the Tories are in ruins.

If Labour have sense they'll bin off Corbyn, get someone else in and they'll likely beat Gove/Boris/Hunt or whoever it is.

M69 Yesterday

Lucky escape

2_D3Nad8IWAAA29Lx.jpg

Lucky escape for woman who avoids serious injury after car ends up under HGV on M69
The woman was taken to hospital for assessment for some minor injuries

A woman has escaped any major injuries after her car collided with a lorry on the M69 motorway.

The smash happened on the westbound side near Leicester at 6.45am today and caused massive congestion throughout the Leicester area, with long queues on the M69, M1, A46 and on roads throughout south Leicester.

Guest MattP
23 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

May is toast, this just seems like a Kamikaze move to bring Labour down with her to me.

There's going to be a GE following a no deal Brexit and the Tories are in ruins.

If Labour have sense they'll bin off Corbyn, get someone else in and they'll likely beat Gove/Boris/Hunt or whoever it is.

I just don't see the logic in it still, it's a free hit for Labour - deal and he's the hero, no deal and he just tells his supporters it's still a hard Tory Brexit. 

What has possessed her to seek a deal with a person who has never put the British interest first (even in times of conflict) has totally baffled me.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

A little bit of international news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47769964

The sooner any and all organised religion gets out of the lawmaking process in any country in the world the better tbh.

Yeah big time. 

I gotta admit I know very little about Brunei but reading that it's got one of the highest standards of living in the world because the King shares some of his oil wealth running the place tax free and in fact the state actually gives hand outs to the people. Nuts. 

Makes it almost even crazier that they're then conversely subjugated by his bonkers, extremely conservative religious piety. Nasty. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

I just don't see the logic in it still, it's a free hit for Labour - deal and he's the hero, no deal and he just tells his supporters it's still a hard Tory Brexit. 

What has possessed her to seek a deal with a person who has never put the British interest first (even in times of conflict) has totally baffled me.

She has pinned everything on getting HER deal through. She thinks if she can get it through she can go down in history in a good light or at least not talked about as the PM who couldn't get a deal and led the UK into the dark of a no-deal exit. This is all about her and her legacy. Her party won't back her, she knows that she's gone asap, parliament won't back her or even give her an escape route. So now it's try and see if JC can get her out of here alive. 

It took 7 hours of cabinet meeting, several days after the brexit deadline to even get her to agree to this, when in reality before giving in article 50 the conservatives should have gone cross party and found something that was going to work.

It is desperation. 

Don't really understand why she thinks this is going to work or change the way the public see here or her policy though. Her party aren't agreeing with her, even if she gets Corbyn on board what makes her think that the Labour lot will. She will still have to get any agreement through parliament won't she? No matter what she takes to the EU. 

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

I guess she’s of the opinion that they both want to leave and to do that with her agreement she needs the labour votes. I’m wondering if she will promise him a role in the next round of negotiations once the agreement has gone through? 

Not sure!