Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

48 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

In the event of No Deal will people with investment portfolios consider moving their spread out to somewhere safe in case of a crash or will they be holding their nerve?

I’m just hoping to get the contract exchanged on my house before it’s done, otherwise I may get caught out.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

They never have, and they never will. 

I'm a fervent Labour supporter, but even I'm dismayed at how inept Corbyn has been throughout this whole farcical embarrassment. The Tories are divided, dead on their knees, are f**king the country into oblivion and yet still they're ahead in the polls.

Any half-decent opposition leader would've wiped the floor with them already. 

Is there a way to get them all out?

Country before party is a nonsense argument IMO.  Does it not occur to you that they might in fact believe that keeping the party together is only thing stopping Corbyn coming to power, and the utter disaster that would inevitably follow?

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Guvnor said:

Pretty much what Olly Robins said in his Brussels bar gaffe.

Well they don’t want us to leave. And the certainly don’t want us to leave without handing over 39 billion quid.

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well they don’t want us to leave. And the certainly don’t want us to leave without handing over 39 billion quid.

At the same time, the electorates in individual European countries (including UK) want it resolved asap. And leaders are worried about the nationalist-populist contagion spreading.  

Guest MattP
47 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I'm a fervent Labour supporter, but even I'm dismayed at how inept Corbyn has been throughout this whole farcical embarrassment. The Tories are divided, dead on their knees, are f**king the country into oblivion and yet still they're ahead in the polls.

The other way to look at it is that he has played an absolute blinder, he's a lifelong Brexiteer in charge of a party whose voters and membership are hugely pro-EU, despite this he's incredibly managed to retain the confidence of them by playing both sides of the fence and supposedly being open to everything - he's whipped against a second vote despite it being party policy and got away with it, last night he said no deal wasn't an option whilst whipping against the amendment to revoke it against no deal.

He might soon be Prime Minister, out of the European Union, with everything he wants with his reputation in tact among his own without having to campaign for Brexit.

If he pulls that off alongside everything else he's done he's nailed it, correctly calculating his people hate the Tories more than his Eurosceptism.

1 minute ago, bovril said:

At the same time, the electorates in individual European countries (including UK) want it resolved asap. And leaders are worried about the nationalist-populist contagion spreading.  

Fair point but in addition to the above our strongest leverage point in all this was probably the threat of no deal. Stupidly, Labour asked the Cons to take this off the table which was silly daft but May never seemed to understand that no deal was something that the EU wanted to avoid... the idea that they themselves would push this button I would find surprising indeed. I think they’ll extend and extend big, but hey ho there’s no certainties in any of this!

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

The other way to look at it is that he has played an absolute blinder, he's a lifelong Brexiteer in charge of a party whose voters and membership are hugely pro-EU, despite this he's incredibly managed to retain the confidence of them by playing both sides of the fence and supposedly being open to everything - he's whipped against a second vote despite it being party policy and got away with it, last night he said no deal wasn't an option whilst whipping against the amendment to revoke it against no deal.

He might soon be Prime Minister, out of the European Union, with everything he wants with his reputation in tact among his own without having to campaign for Brexit.

If he pulls that off alongside everything else he's done he's nailed it, correctly calculating his people hate the Tories more than his Eurosceptism.

Scary stuff.  The bloke is genuinely dangerous imo.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

As a Remain voter, what benefits do you pitch to leave voters about why CM 2.0 works for them?

Why do you think any Leave voter would have voted for that form of Brexit?

And this is why a confirmatory vote would be the most undemocratic end game for leavers and a total betrayal, if the choices ended up being remain v remain 

If they want a confirmatory vote have it remain v clean break , bring it on. They won't though will they because they are sh#t scared of the result.

Edited by The Guvnor

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Country before party is a nonsense argument IMO.  Does it not occur to you that they might in fact believe that keeping the party together is only thing stopping Corbyn coming to power, and the utter disaster that would inevitably follow?

The Tories putting party before country is exactly why we're in this mess.

The biggest political cluster-f**k of the last 50 years, which could potentially have ramifications for generations to come is happening exclusively because the Tories put party before country.

The blame for even holding a Brexit referendum lies squarely at the feet of David Cameron. He promised to hold a referendum in his party’s 2015 manifesto in a desperate attempt to soothe the internal dynamics that had already threatened to split the Tories once before. He didn’t expect to win a majority. He believed that the coalition with the Liberal Democrats would extend to a second term, and that promised referendum would be the first thing to fall to coalition negotiations.

Unfortunately, Ed Miliband had to go and chow down on that bacon sandwich.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Scary stuff.  The bloke is genuinely dangerous imo.

I think Corbyn is just more naive than dangerous. A useful idiot. Someone sits next to holocaust deniers without knowing it.

People like Andrew Murray, Seumas Milne and John McDonnell around him though are genuinely dangerous as they know what they are doing. 

My starting point in negotiations would have been to take the EU’s worst fear/outcome and make it my optimum priority to achieve at all costs and look very busy preparing for it and then let them talk me back to a position where they wanted to give me something. 

As well as not getting 39 billion - if we leave without their support blessing guidance involvement etc and make a success of it then their boat begins to rock as the demand in countries with a far right agenda wanting out of the EU grows.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

They're hardly doing a good job at keeping the party together.

Guest MattP
Just now, LiberalFox said:

I've always thought Corbyn was just a bit thick, I highly doubt he's that calculating.

He could just be extremely lucky or being advised extremely well.

I remember Matthew Syed saying the key to Labour doing well and getting elected was just to make sure they always did the opposite of what Billy Bragg said - they might be doing the same now with somebody.