Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I guess she’s of the opinion that they both want to leave and to do that with her agreement she needs the labour votes. I’m wondering if she will promise him a role in the next round of negotiations once the agreement has gone through? 

Not sure!

Can she even promise that though? She's a goner soon and her successor wouldnt be held to it.

Yet again this morning the Labour reps have been talking about workers rights etc - none of this can be promised or be binding to a future government.

45 minutes ago, MattP said:

I just don't see the logic in it still, it's a free hit for Labour - deal and he's the hero, no deal and he just tells his supporters it's still a hard Tory Brexit. 

What has possessed her to seek a deal with a person who has never put the British interest first (even in times of conflict) has totally baffled me.

Desperation to attempt to avoid a no deal Brexit despite the fact it's her own party that refuses to compromise.

Do we have another round of indicative votes tonight? Will be interesting to see if anything different happens.

19 minutes ago, MattP said:

Can she even promise that though? She's a goner soon and her successor wouldnt be held to it.

Yet again this morning the Labour reps have been talking about workers rights etc - none of this can be promised or be binding to a future government.

Yeah, I’m not grasping here what her game plan  might be. I’ve long been convinced she’s a robot that malfunctioned long ago that repeats tag lines and nobody is sure who built her or how to repair her. Either that or an alien imposter has snatched her body. No idea what’s going on tbh.

26 minutes ago, MattP said:

Could it be woven in to the fabric of her agreement that cross party co-operation and Parliament approval is a binding area of the agreement and talks in Stage 2 moving forward? 

Just guessing now!?

Edited by Nick

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If Theresa May destroys the Conservative party she'll be the greatest prime minister in living memory.

A quick rebranding and a half decent figurehead and all past ills are forgotten. Think New Labour or New Old Labour ;)

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If Theresa May destroys the Conservative party she'll be the greatest prime minister in living memory.

Very short sighted - you have no idea what replaces it. In the last few years we've seen Democrats egging on Trump to run for the Republicans to "destroy them" - he ended up as President.

May "destroying the Conservatives" just means a hard Brexit leader next time and probably a more extreme government. Or the alternative is a more right wing party replacing them with policies like the death penalty that could actually garner serious public support. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Awkward.

Whilst I don't feel it's particularly funny myself, I also think the media will never get the special humor circulating in military circles and that they are exploiting this event for their own purposes.

Similar case would be the "OK Hand" gesture that some outlets try to associate with the Alt-Right or Right-Wingers.

I'm sure there will now be a tirade of articles about how "racist" or "right-wing" the military is, trying to shift the focus away from more urging matters.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I just don't see the logic in it still, it's a free hit for Labour - deal and he's the hero, no deal and he just tells his supporters it's still a hard Tory Brexit. 

What has possessed her to seek a deal with a person who has never put the British interest first (even in times of conflict) has totally baffled me.

Cos she has no other option because 6 of her MPs want to overturn the referendum and 28 of her MPs are pissing around in a wardrobe trying to find Narnia. 

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Whilst I don't feel it's particularly funny myself, I also think the media will never get the special humor circulating in military circles and that they are exploiting this event for their own purposes.

Similar case would be the "OK Hand" gesture that some outlets try to associate with the Alt-Right or Right-Wingers.

I'm sure there will now be a tirade of articles about how "racist" or "right-wing" the military is, trying to shift the focus away from more urging matters.

I sincerely doubt that, given what those "urging matters" are in the UK at the moment, but soldiers using an image of the leader of the democractically-elected opposition party of their country for target practice is definitely newsworthy - as it would be if they were using May's image.

• Like 2

Guest MattP

The army has to be remain impartial to politics, one of the foundations of our democracy is obviously going to be that it is and acts completely impartial. 

That's obviously going to be hard with a man like Jeremy Corbyn given his views and actions but that's where the professionalism of the services come in.

I'm amazed at how many people are ambivalent to all this now, the army, the speaker, the BBC - no one seems to care anymore how important these balances are to the way we operate.

Edited by MattP

Brexit is tearing the Conservatives apart. More resignations. The ERG and other sections even more distant from the leadership. They can't even rule alone - need Labour to get their own laws past their own party.

13 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Cos she has no other option because 6 of her MPs want to overturn the referendum and 28 of her MPs are pissing around in a wardrobe trying to find Narnia. 

FFS scrabling around trying to cojule and cobble some Frankenstein monster of a Brexit which leavers don't want and remainers don't want is ridiculous. 

There is such a simple resolution to this now. 

Go to Barnier, tell him that due to no change on the backstop it is impossible to get a deal through Parliament so tell him there will be a peoples vote.The options will be to remain or to leave on WTO rules. This would lay to rest any suggestion of what leavers wanted and allowing the option of leaving the EU.

How can remainers possibly be against that option as most of them think leavers had no idea of what they wanted. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I sincerely doubt that, given what those "urging matters" are in the UK at the moment, but soldiers using an image of the leader of the democractically-elected opposition party of their country for target practice is definitely newsworthy - as it would be if they were using May's image.

Well, we're probably never going to know whether the same group aimed at other targets from other political parties unless they're asked or investigated, or whether other groups in other areas abroad have been or are still aiming at political leaders in the UK from all sides. Which is rather likely, but probably hardly reported or made public.

In the end, I think it's noteworthy to highlight the particular bias and/or one-sided "journalism" and reportism, especially on a rage- and outrage-fueled platform such as Twitter.

Edited by MC Prussian

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Awkward.

I wonder if this will play into Corbyn's hands.

Farage, Trump and Sturgeon were seen as unduly villainised outsiders against a corrupt system. And that massively increased their popularity with increasingly disenfranised voters.

The more Corbyn can paint himself as a villainised outsider fighting against corrupt system that hates him - and this kind of thing really helps - the more he can appeal to increasingly disfranchised, angry voters.

And the closer he'll find himself to power.

Edited by Foxxed

Well, we're probably never going to know whether the same group aimed at other targets from other political parties unless they're asked or investigated, or whether other groups in other areas abroad have been or are still aiming at political leaders in the UK from all sides. Which is rather likely, but probably hardly reported or made public.

In the end, I think it's noteworthy to highlight the particular bias and/or one-sided "journalism" and reportism, especially on a rage- and outrage-fueled platform such as Twitter.

In what way is it "biased"? The footage is being reported on because the footage exists, and whoever was daft enough to film it passed it on to someone who made it public. In this case, the media and public can only report on what they can see with their own eyes.

• Like 1

Just now, Voll Blau said:

In what way is it "biased"? The footage is being reported on because the footage exists, and whoever was daft enough to film it passed it on to someone who made it public. In this case, the media and public can only report on what they can see with their own eyes.

Well, you can question the timing of its publication. Was the footage shot now or months, even years ago?

And again, just because one political leader's image is shot at doesn't mean there aren't other images/placards (ab)used in the same manner.

Well, you can question the timing of its publication. Was the footage shot now or months, even years ago?

And again, just because one political leader's image is shot at doesn't mean there aren't other images/placards (ab)used in the same manner.

So do you think media reports should have made that clear, despite there being absolutely no evidence for it whatsoever? lol

The footage appears to have been shot a few days ago, according to Sky News.

https://news.sky.com/story/totally-unacceptable-mod-criticises-troops-after-corbyn-picture-used-in-target-practice-11682894

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Very short sighted - you have no idea what replaces it. In the last few years we've seen Democrats egging on Trump to run for the Republicans to "destroy them" - he ended up as President.

May "destroying the Conservatives" just means a hard Brexit leader next time and probably a more extreme government. Or the alternative is a more right wing party replacing them with policies like the death penalty that could actually garner serious public support. 

As much as I intensely dislike the scenario you've pointed out there, I agree for related reasons - unaccountable unilateral power for *anyone* (barring the caveat when the objective is very clearly beneficial to all humanity rather than just one part of it) is never really a good idea, no matter how good the intentions.

12 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

So you're saying it shouldn't be shown?

Can't agree with that at all. 

We have a wide press with good freedom to publish. Each may have some bias or not but the press as a whole is not biased all to one faction or the other.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah big time. 

I gotta admit I know very little about Brunei but reading that it's got one of the highest standards of living in the world because the King shares some of his oil wealth running the place tax free and in fact the state actually gives hand outs to the people. Nuts. 

Makes it almost even crazier that they're then conversely subjugated by his bonkers, extremely conservative religious piety. Nasty. 

Doesn't the sultan's son play for Leicester?

Edit: Just read he is the nephew.

Edited by pds